Suitable Television programs for 4 and 8 year olds...

Geoff L

PF Regular
Jun 2, 2008
Id like to recieve input from others on TV programs that they reccomend for children 4 and 8 years of age. My main objective is for their English language development as we live in Asia and Emglish is their 2nd language, thier level is good enough to understand programs aimed at native speakers of this age. The problem is I have lived in Asia for 20 years and I have no idea of what I could download that would interest them other than "Dora the Explorer" as everything else on TV here is Japanese and I doubt it is avaliable in English. The Disney channel here doesn't impress me much so I would appreciate ideas on programs and if you have the time why you reccomend them.

Thanks in advance.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
My kids love Blue's Clues. The old one, not Blue's Room.

I blame PeeWee's Playhouse for my adult craziness.
We're going through The Muppet Show DVDs now.

My kids don't really watch TV. I'm picky and we get stuff on DVD.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
Some of my son's favourite shows are Diego, Backyardigans, Max and Ruby, My Friend Rabbit, Toopy and Binoo, and Little Bear.

I think Backyardigans is one of the best shows out there. Singing, dancing, learning, imagination, it has everything.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
The Max and Ruby books are super cute! I don't know about the show.

Personally, Dora makes me want to kill myself.
"I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map I'm a map OHGAWD WE GET IT YOU'RE A MAP SHUT UP"

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I've always wondered if the books were the same as the show or not.

I like the show for the most part, it's good for a toddler, but seriously, where the heck are their parents!!??

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Nikita said:
I've always wondered if the books were the same as the show or not.

I like the show for the most part, it's good for a toddler, but seriously, where the heck are their parents!!??
haha I think the same thing everytime it comes on...same with Blues Clues...lol

Geoff L

PF Regular
Jun 2, 2008
Sirk, I hear you, but actually with ESL (English as a Second Language) that kind of repetition is exactly what I am looking for you my younger child.

Thank you to everyone else for their input, the downloads have begun!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
PBS kids here. Thank God we don't watch Dora here, she annoys the crap on me and whats with her taking over the shoe world??!! Its soo hard to buy shoes for my 2 year old because they all have flippin Dora on them...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Dd loves Max and Ruby too. Oswald is also one of her faves.

PBS Kids and Noggin are great networks for kiddos, in between shows they have little educational shorts.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
We are noggin here! My dd loves all the shows on their. You can go to nickjr.com or noggin.com(I think) to get more ideas on those.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
When my kids were younger they liked these PBS shows:

Between the Lions
Cyberchase
George Shrinks
Reading Rainbow
Sagwa
Zoom

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Sesame Street. I am extremely picky about what my kids watch, so everything approved is DVRed. Sesame Street, Curious George, mostly PBS. Older Blue's Clues (they are great with counting and colors).

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
HappyMomma said:
Oswald is also one of her faves.
oh I forgot about Oswald! I loved that! The Wonder Years kid does his voice! (He's like 40 now and is still The Wonder Years kid)

HappyMomma said:
Is Cartoon Network evil or what??
Not evil, just... I dunno, maybe I'm hyper sensitive about my kids not watching "garbage" because between homeschooling and working from home I don't want to fall into the trap of using the TV as a babysitter.
Of course by only letting them watch 'educational' stuff, I'm prob depriving them of the Goonies and the Ren & Stimpy of their generation.