Sunburn?!?!...

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
My parents kept my kids over last night, and then decieded to keep them all day. They just swam and played in the pool all day. When I got home from work at about 9pm i went in to say goodnight to them and they are both soooo sunburned. I asked my husband -who went over in the afternoon to hang out- if my mom put sunscreen on them. He said yes, and I said what once?!?!?

Am i overreacting<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI> ! I am pretty PO'd right now. :mad:

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
No your not overreacting. They have already raised their children and should know better than to let the kids be outside unprotected. They might be for a different day and age but I'm sure kids still burned back in the day.

I however imagine that they got caught up in all the fun and just dead headed.

The best thing you can do is to not make a big issue out of it. Simply let them know that the kids have burns and the next time you send them over remind them to reapply the sunscreen. If they choose not to do so again then I might have a more serious confrontation with them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree, don't make a big deal about it, but make sure they KNOW next time that they must put sunblock on every 2 hours, or every hour if they are really fair skinned.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
Thank you!! Iam glad I did not call her as soon as I finished putting aloe, a getting them to go to sleep. I am sure they jutt did not think about, and need a gentle reminder. (they have the kids alot with my husband being sick) . It jsut really mad me mad. Come home from an 11 hour shift, just to go to bed (which i should be doing right now ) just to go back at 7am for another 11 hour shift!!!! Instead I have to deal with two cranky kids because someone forgot to reapply the sunscreen. It is kind of one of those things- like I would not forget, how could you???? Alright I am getting fired up again...

I am not mad, I am not mad, I am not mad.....

Ok all better

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Here's my experience. Even if you put sunscreen of 50spf on them the pool will wear it off, if you go to put it on again it will burn their little skin. The only thing to do is to is minimize their time out in the sun.
My kids sometimes get sunburned and I lather them up with waterproof spf 50 but I keep it to about three hours.
Don't be mad, they didn't know. If they are not used to little kids they would have no idea it would wear off in a pool.
Also if they reapplied and it made their skin burn or their eyes that would have made you mad too.
Your kids are ok, love the extra help you got and maybe just mention to keep their swimming to a few hours during summer. :)

Motrin will take away their swelling and I put aquafor (vasiline) will help. Cool baths will feel better, any sunshine on their sunburn will hurt so keep them in the shade.
Aloe really doesn't do much but make you sticky.
They need to drink lots of water.
Most people don't know that swimming actually takes water from your body and that's why you get old people looking skin. Hydrating them will also make them feel better.
Good luck. Seriously, don't get mad. It happens to those of us who are used to the sun.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Speaking of sunburn...

we are going to the pool today. Anyone have a brand/type of sunscreen they prefer when swimming? I use the water babies SPF 50 now but I didn't know if there was something else out there that was better.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I always buy the generic of waterbabies. Works the same.
There is some sunscreen lip balm for babies. We don't use it, mine would lick it off. haha

Sunscreen is tested 1/4 inch thick and also applied 1 hr before sun exposure. Make sure you lather her up before you go and then you might be able to reapply once but it could burn them, especially her face above her cheeks. ;) Have fun.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
musicmom said:
I always buy the generic of waterbabies. Works the same.
There is some sunscreen lip balm for babies. We don't use it, mine would lick it off. haha

Sunscreen is tested 1/4 inch thick and also applied 1 hr before sun exposure. Make sure you lather her up before you go and then you might be able to reapply once but it could burn them, especially her face above her cheeks. ;) Have fun.
My kid eats my lip balm. She really like raspberry. lol

I normally put her sunscreen on in the morning just in case the babysitter or Mr Wonderful take her out in the morning. I do it because it's one less thing the babysitter has to do and I know Mr Wonderful will forget. lol

I was looking at those sprays but to me it doesn't seem like it would be even. Plus trying to hold a 15 month old still long enough to spray her down doesn't sound fun either.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I know for the sun here in Florida those sprays are useless. I go through one of those large water babies within a few weeks. My kids know they are going to get a ton of it on them. They know the drill. hahaha For the pool I skip the feet. The beach is a different story. I even put it on the line on the top of their head because the sun beats the crap out of their scalp.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
ok this will burn will like crazy for a few moments but it will take the heat out of the burn and make it go away quicker.

put vinegar on the sunburn ( apple cider kind for better smell) then after you have soaked it in the vinegar sooth it with aloe gel. If its so bad it cant be touched you will definately want to do the vinegar thing.
I have gotten to a point were I use vinegar first no matter what then aloe.

If it releases to much heat or your afraid it might, mix it with water in spray bottle and mist it and have a fan blow on them.

As far as grandparents go...
I think we have all done it. Be super relieved that the kids are entertained then realize " OH :censored: ," we forgot something. Then we feel terrible about it and kick ourselves that it was something we told ourselves over and over again we were going to do or not do.
If someone reminds us that we were suppost to do it we already feel stupid about it and get defiant.
No wants to hear "I told you! a speeding ticket for going to fast."

Time flies when you are having fun and enjoying someones company.
Have you taught your kids that they need to apply sunscreen? (general for parents who can and something for parents who kids are younger to look forward too)
that way they can be responsible for thier care and safety too.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
ok, so in Australia there's no such thing as an ozone layer any more - so there is no such thing as simply relying on sunscreen alone - let alone relying on sunscreen once.

In Australia that means that there's no such thing as not equipping your kids with the right equipment. If they're going to be going near water then you give them 50+SPF swimming clothes and a proper, good, wide brim hat they can wear in the water. And then you don't just insist that they wear them - you make it clear that there is not going to be any swimming or water play if they're not worn. I wear them. My kids wear them. That's the start and the end of it.

Every summer I buy my kids one pair of cheap - but good quality - sunglasses too. I don't care if they scratch them or wear them out, that's ok. I hope they get some use out of them too.

I'm sorry - I don't even know who the OP is, I forget, so I'm not calling them a bad parent or anything... but I think this is one of those dilemmas where perhaps you should be looking inwards: why did your kids go on a summer holiday without proper swimming hats and shirts?

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
FYI I read a study this weekend about your Real Age

Wearing sunscreen religiously will make you an average of 10 years younger.

Not wearing any, or very little makes your Real Age 25 YEARS OLDER than you are!

So anyone with a sun or sunbed obsessed teen, try and appeal to their vanity and tell them this! They don't want to look 60 when they are 40!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mindy said:
Brent ITA. I think most people don't realize how extremely dangerous prolonged exposure is... It really is IMPERATIVE to limit the time in the sun... Oh and you can't go wrong with these types of suits, they will protect the kids really well and they are breezy so the kids don't get too hot :)
And on this there should be a side note *but your child will suffer horrible emotional pain when every kid who is in a bathing suit is looking at your child and laughing hysterically*

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mindy said:
FYI I read a study this weekend about your Real Age

Wearing sunscreen religiously will make you an average of 10 years younger.

Not wearing any, or very little makes your Real Age 25 YEARS OLDER than you are!

So anyone with a sun or sunbed obsessed teen, try and appeal to their vanity and tell them this! They don't want to look 60 when they are 40!
As with anything Mindy. Aging has to do with your genetics. My mother lived in the sun and she is now 70 and looks in her 50's. No age spots on her face or skin. No sun screen but pure oil. If you lay out the important part is afterwards to moisturize your skin. You've seen me and I don't have ONE wrinkle and am HAAAAAAAAAWWWWTTT. But I'm jrrsmom so no one can have me!!! ;)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
mmynedshlp said:
ok this will burn will like crazy for a few moments but it will take the heat out of the burn and make it go away quicker.

put vinegar on the sunburn ( apple cider kind for better smell) then after you have soaked it in the vinegar sooth it with aloe gel. If its so bad it cant be touched you will definately want to do the vinegar thing.
I have gotten to a point were I use vinegar first no matter what then aloe.

If it releases to much heat or your afraid it might, mix it with water in spray bottle and mist it and have a fan blow on them.

As far as grandparents go...
I think we have all done it. Be super relieved that the kids are entertained then realize " OH :censored: ," we forgot something. Then we feel terrible about it and kick ourselves that it was something we told ourselves over and over again we were going to do or not do.
If someone reminds us that we were suppost to do it we already feel stupid about it and get defiant.
No wants to hear "I told you! a speeding ticket for going to fast."

Time flies when you are having fun and enjoying someones company.
Have you taught your kids that they need to apply sunscreen? (general for parents who can and something for parents who kids are younger to look forward too)
that way they can be responsible for thier care and safety too.
Ok ewwww. It would make me want some fish though. Fish and vinegar is gooooood. Next time I get too much sun I'll try this on a spot. I'll report back to you. I have never heard of this one.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
musicmom said:
And on this there should be a side note *but your child will suffer horrible emotional pain when every kid who is in a bathing suit is looking at your child and laughing hysterically*
LOL, not if every other kid is wearing one too ;) Besides I'd much rather see kids in them, than a five year old girl in a two piece bikini anyway :)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
musicmom said:
You've seen me and I don't have ONE wrinkle and am HAAAAAAAAAWWWWTTT. But I'm jrrsmom so no one can have me!!! ;)
Yeah, it probably has a lot to do with genetics too I'm sure.

But I haven't seen you! Why, did you post a pic somewhere?, cuz I missed it :)