Sweets, Grandmothers, and First Birthday...

bworthey

PF Regular
Oct 4, 2011
Louisville, AL
First of all I hope everyone had a great Christmas! This was our first Christmas with our daughter and it was awesome. If you remember, I was also the one that posted about my mother? throwing a fit about how we were doing Christmas, etc., - things seemed to go okay. We got through it so that's all I was worried about.

Since we had both grandmothers in the house and our daughter is getting a little older now - everyone wants to give her food. She has been doing pretty well with what she's been eating, but I have been very cautious about giving her things that have a lot of extra/added sugar. Like, I'm not going to give her a sucker or a popsicle. Christmas morning one of the grandmothers wanted me to give her part of my cinnamon roll and she saw the look on my face, she also wanted to give her a marshmallow - nothing but sugar! Now, I'll admit that she has not been bad about it or anything but it's just the persistence in it and the "oh, it ain't gonna hurt her", etc., that gets to me.

I know she doesn't need the extra/added sugar - but when can she have things like this? What do you do on her first birthday when she is sitting there with a cake that's nothing but sugar? I'm so confused?! How do you deal with the grandparents?!

Thanks!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
First of all, congratulations on making it through Christmas relatively unscathed (get the pun?)

So, you're confused? I'm a little confused. Can you explain to me why sugar is the root of all evil? Sugar is merely a form of carbs, right? So, it doesn't matter whether that comes in the form of chocolate cake or rice or bread or fruit. What does matter is the balance. IF you allow your duaghter to go face first into first birthday chocolate cake, you're probably going to want to go light on other carbs and heavy on the veggies that day. It seems to me to be easier on your stress levels to give in to some sugary indulgence, as long as you remain in control of the total diet. And isn't that a healthier eating strategy to teach a child long run? It's not that you can never ever ever have "sugar," it's that food is fuel and your body needs good fuel. So, it's okay to give it a little treat now and then, but a treat is not an everyday thing and a little should be a little. As a person struggling with weight, one of my big issues is saying no to more. Once I've opened that container of holiday fudge, I can just as easily have 10 pieces as one. If I had one, it'd be a nice treat. Since I've had 10, I've turned it into toxic sludge. So, there you have my new years resolution...moderation - being more sensible. and I hope that helps you with some strategy too.

Oh, and IF you decide to let her have the whole first birthday cake scene, understand that sh'es probably going to be much more into playing with it and eating a bunch of cake AND be prepared. You need an exit strategy for what you're going to do with this child covered head to waist in cake and frosting. I donned a garbage bag poncho and we went immediately to the bathtub, a quick wash and change of clothes and we were back at the party before anyone hardly knew we were missing.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I'm with IADad on this one.

I am a bit of a food nazi for the first 6 months, there is no need so why bother plus knowing what I know now I prefer to not take the risk.

However once they are eating nothing is off limits. Moderation is the key, a little cake once or twice a year isn't gonna hurt. A sample marshmallow or cinnamon bun won't hurt. I wouldn't feed sugar all day long but teaching them early, even as babies, about moderation is a much better option.

I mean I am less concerned with sugar and more concerned with over processed foods, but again every once in a while won't hurt anyone.

I guess we aren't really giving you the answer you were hoping for. But if you feel very strongly about it then go with an all natural homemade cake were sugar is substituted with applesauce.

bworthey

PF Regular
Oct 4, 2011
Louisville, AL
Well, I agree with you for the most part and do appreciate the points you've made. You've made me rethink this a little more. I guess I've bought into the idea that she'll develop a sweet tooth and not want to eat other things. She is doing really well right now eating vegetables and she does love bread. I do agree there needs to be a balance and we have to teach her the healthy eating habits. Right now I just don't see the point in her eating a cinamon roll or a marshmallow - she doesn't know what those things are yet, I mean I guess you could say she doesn't know what a lot of things are yet either. And it's not that I want her to never to have sugar I just don't think at 10 months old she needs lots of extra sugary things. I would think to her small system a little is a lot. I don't know I could be crazy! Ha!

bworthey

PF Regular
Oct 4, 2011
Louisville, AL
Well I guess that's what I'm saying. We are controlling what she is eating right now and I'd rather her not be eating marshmallows and cinamon rolls! Ha! I know all too well about carbs etc., so I know that she is probably getting more than I think but things like that I can control. Once she is older she will have sweets, etc., of course and we'll teach her in moderation.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Let me tell you...giving a few sweets right now will not create a sweet tooth. My youngest was never a fan of sweets when that age....now, oh lord that girl can smell chocolate a mile away. The others that liked it really aren't fans of candy or sweets anymore. Don;t get me wrong they have the occasional candy or cake but they don't go out of their way for it. Lupan is the same as Kailyn, loved his veggies and salads but wasn't a fan of sugary stuff, then he got suspended for stealing a candy bar out of the school machine. The boys sweet tooth is crazy!

Not sure where I was going with that lol but that has been my experience.