Swine Flu...

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
So last night my mom gets a call from my brothers friends mom, who a week ago let her son spend the night, he was showing signs of getting sick, like the beginning of the flu. Well, she calls yesterday and says she believes her son may have swine flu.

Just an hour ago my mom came and woke me up to tell me that my brothers friend does in fact have swine flu.

Last night, I had a fever along with about half of the symptoms.

I am hoping I do not have this. I am suppose to be getting the rest of my uniform tonight (I have an explorers meeting), I start back to school this tuesday and I have another event to work on the 22nd and even my birthday on the 25th....I don't have time to get sick.

Uhhh...have you or anyone you know gotten this and how fast do most people get over it?
Or say anything else you wanna say on this topic.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
No one that I know has gotten it, but you need to get into the doctor and get tested. I don't know alot about it, but from my understanding it's a pretty nasty flu.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Its about 9:37am now and my appt is at 11:30

I only got about 5 hours of sleep and was woken up to that news...I am very cranky today and its starting off on the wrong foot...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Rosa said:
We've all had it, no worse than the common cold.

We have? We've all had H1N1?

H1 N1 Symptoms from CDC:
The symptoms of novel H1N1 flu virus in people include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. A significant number of people who have been infected with this virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting. Severe illnesses and death has occurred as a result of illness associated with this virus.

Common Cold Symptoms (Mayo Clinic)

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Runny or stuffy nose</LI>
    <LI>
  • Itchy or sore throat</LI>
    <LI>
  • Cough</LI>
    <LI>
  • Congestion</LI>
    <LI>
  • Slight body aches or a mild headache</LI>
    <LI>
  • Sneezing</LI>
    <LI>
  • Watery eyes</LI>
    <LI>
  • Low-grade fever (up to 102 F, or 39 C)</LI>
    <LI>
  • Mild fatigue</LI>
</LIST>When to see a Dr (Mayo Clinic):
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Fever of 102 F (39 C) or higher</LI>
    <LI>
  • High fever accompanied by achiness and fatigue</LI>
    <LI>
  • Fever accompanied by sweating, chills and a cough with colored phlegm</LI>
    <LI>
  • Significantly swollen glands</LI>
    <LI>
  • Severe sinus pain</LI>
</LIST>If you have H1N1 or any flu, they can start you on tamaflu, which willhelp you recover faster. I think you're right going to the dr, just to be sure. Hope it turns out okay.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Tamiflu can make you very ill, we didn't get a prescription for Charlie and Flynn, which I'm happy about as now the advice is to not give it to anyone under 12 years of age.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
well since it was my brothers friend who was originally sick they tested my brother because he spent more time around him.
So they didn't test me for it, I don't have health insurance and it would be very costly to do so.
The doctor tested my brother and his came back negative but my brother is showing no symptoms. However, I have about half of them. Fever, aches, the stomach issues, sniffly nose. I really feel like crap the more time goes on.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
ElliottCarasDad said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't worry this isn't like an OMG ITS SWINE FLU thread.
Its more like an OMG that woman needs to be smacked up side her head for sending her kid to spend the night when he is sick...maybe just maybe the smack will be hard enough to make her head hurt as worse as mine does right now.... I want to scream.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
AmyBelle said:
Swine Flu isnt any worse than the avergae flu, its just that we like blowing shit out of proportion.
Exactly. The only difference between the regular flu and the swine flu is that we don't have a vaccine for the swine flue. That's IT. And I don't much care, because I don't get my family flu shots anyway. Both the swine flu and the regular flu can be mild or "nasty". Everyone gets it different because our bodies work differently and whatnot. Eli and I got the flu really bad a few months ago (skipped BF somehow) and I didn't even bother going to the doctor because to me, the flu is the flu and I don't care what its name is. I've had the flu before. People generally come out fine. Eli, I did take to the doctor just because I like to play it safe and its funny because when I got there I said "I think its just the flu, but I figured I'd stop in anyway" and at the end of the appointment he said "yep, its just the flu see ya later!" lol.

That does suck though Cop2be, that drives me crazy when parents don't care about sending their sick kids to hang out with my healthy one. I hate that!!! Happens to me all the time. Or adults will touch my kid when they're sick and not even care. Ugh. Hope you feel better.

ellen21

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2009
well i don't know anyone who has faced such situation but its first sigh is cold and fever so if you have it please take complete rest don't let it grow it can really be harmful...........hope you get over it fast take care

Corgi

Sep 6, 2009
California
Honestly, the regular flu kills a lot of people in a year but no one really seems to care. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I'd get yourself checked. The people who get really serious cases are usually either the really young or the really old or people who have especially weak immune systems.

There is a pretty large breakout at Carnegie Mellon, or at least in one of the apartment buildings. The students are isolated from the healthy ones but you don't hear students dying left and right.