Switching Schools...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Two years ago, before my daughter started kindergarten (the first year of public schooling in the U.S., for which you must be at least 5 years old), I applied for a spot for her in several good schools. We were accepted into two of them, and being more or less equal academically, we chose the closest one. She was automatically wait-listed for the other schools.

Today (a quarter into the school year), I got a phone call saying a spot became available for her in our first choice school. Previously, my husband and I agreed that if this happened, we would take it. (Younger siblings are automatically guaranteed a spot in the same school when they start kindergarten.) To secure the spot, she has to start attending the new school within 3 weeks. They won't let us wait until the next semester (even though it's only a month longer). It's kind of sudden. She has a Christmas concert at her current school in December which she will miss, along with several projects and field trips she has been working on. I feel it's unfair to make her give up all those things, but that is the new school's requirement, so I suppose we will all have to get over it.

I'm a little worried about the decision though. What if we don't like the new school? What if it doesn't suit her learning style? What if it doesn't turn out to be as good an experience as her current school? It's not like we can switch back. Once you lose a spot in a charter school, you can't get back in. They fill in your spot from the wait list, which was created before that class even started kindergarten. Some people never get a spot in a school where they were wait-listed, so going back to the end of the line, so to speak, would pretty much mean you're not getting back in. Every other person who was wait-listed would have priority over you. If we don't like the new school, our only options would be to stay there or attend the nearest public school. (I'm not impressed with it.)

Most people who are wait-listed come from a public school, so there's nothing to lose. They can go right back if they don't like it, and that would be unlikely. So my daughter's situation is a little different, since she is going from one top-notch school to another. Which is why I'm second-guessing whether I should move her. We don't have much time to decide. I get one meeting with the staff this week to assess her skill level and make the determination.

What we like about the new school (originally our first choice) was that it had the most rigorous academic program in the area, and they have a zero-tolerance policy on behavior. The truth is, she is not as challenged as she could be at her current school. And what I see in the classroom when I volunteer is a lot of behavior problems that take up a considerable amount of the teacher's time. On the other hand, we have established relationships with much of the staff, students and other parents. I'd hate to give that up and have her always feeling like school was better before she switched. I've heard from families at this new school that are thrilled with it, and others who don't like it much. Pretty much the same things I hear from families here.

Last thing... we have already gone back-to-school shopping this year, and she has lots of nice outfits. But she won't be able to wear any of them at the new school, and we'll have to change her entire wardrobe to accommodate a uniform. I think uniforms are ridiculous in this day and age, but if it means a better education, I suppose even a clown costume would be worth it. Any thoughts?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think you need to separate important issues from unimportant issues.

From my perspective:

Unimportant issues:
- Clothing
- Christmas pageant (chances are the new school will be doing one too)
- Projects (she will have more)
- Field Trips (she will have more)

Middle-of-the-road issues:
- Learning style (I put this here because you didn't go into full detail about why this might bother you, so it can really go in either category. Is it a drastically different learning style they preach? Are you going from Montessori to traditional or something like that? If not, chances are that's just mama bear kicking in and it's not really bound to be a huge issue)

Important issues:
- Why was this school your first choice initially?
- Are you happy at the school she is currently at?
- What would be the benefits of changing?
- What would be the benefits of staying?

I can't answer them, because I don't know the schools or what you want out of your children's education.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
- Why was this school your first choice initially?
It is the most academically advanced one. It has a zero tolerance policy. As a parent of a new student, I wanted her to have the best education and the least exposure to bad behavior.

- Are you happy at the school she is currently at?
It is okay (above-average according to state assessments), but I see a lot of room for improvement. I think they could pick up the pace. I do tire of the behavior problems. But I like that they focus so much on engaging the kids intellectually. Rote memorization and monotonous work are not part of the curriculum.

- What would be the benefits of changing?
She would learn more. Her reading and math skills would be higher. She would be more challenged.

- What would be the benefits of staying?
She is in an environment with a hands-on teaching style, which she enjoys. I have no idea how she would respond to a new teaching style. She has expressed a need for more challenges though.

I think my hang-up is that the new school sounds a lot like the private schools I used to attend, and I hated them compared to public school. But in the end, it was helpful to have a solid skill set and be familiar with concepts that were revisited in high school and even college. And it got me used to a heavy workload. I do think it gave me an edge later on, you know? I feel like it's a choice between enjoying her childhood or being prepared for the future (and now that I articulate it, it sounds ridiculous).

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
I think it is important to make sure the child is happy, we have moved our youngest two around schools because they were not happy. Maybe (trying not to be rude) its you as the parent stepping in and trying to take control and give her the what you see as the best. But you have to think if they the kids are not happy then they natrually will not do well because if they don't want to be there they're not going to be interested or motivated to exceed.

Sometimes you have to step out and see it from their point of view. Sometimes sheltering them from life doesn't set them up well for life. Trust me when yor children became teenagers you will have to let go, and let them make their own mistakes and learn from them. Trust me as a parent to two teenage boys there has been times when me and my wife Charlotte wanted to intervene and stop them from making a fool of themselves or whatever, but you have to learn that this won't set them up for life.

Anyway going back to the point maybe at the moment you are being the over protective parent (don't worry me and Charlotte have done it too) and want to make sure you have what you see as the best for them maybe in the way of stats or what have you, but sometimes you have to think whats going to be better for them not just numbers wise but emotionally too. So i think before you choose either school you have to think will it effect the child for the better or worse.

Hope this helps (and sorry if I went off topic... opps)

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That's the question. I don't know if she'll be happier staying at this school or switching to another. She's still young; if we're gonna switch, this is the time to do it. She says she is up for it, but I don't know if she fully understands the impact it will have on her.

Basically I'm looking at a decent situation and an unknown. I guess it's kind of silly to ask a forum of strangers which is best!

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
no no its not siilly. I mean it can really help (since joining, the community of parents here have helped with two large issues of ours. If she wants to do it then I say go for it, because you may spend your years umming and arring over the 'if we hads'. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith, take it together as a mother and daughter and hope for the best in the long run. Trust me I know its scary (we're about to take a leap of faith moving the family), But hey parenthood in general is scary. But children are resiliant and im sure your daughter will take this in her stride.

Anyway its up to you what you do,

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Well, I met with the new teacher and staff, visited the classroom and examined the curriculum. It's a better school in some ways, but it's missing a lot too. When you're looking at excellent schools, it's no longer a question of which is performing better; it's a question of what the emphases are. For me, everything is important. I want my children to have it all! But after a long discussion, my husband and I weighed the benefits of each school and decided to keep our daughter at her current one. She is happy with the decision, and we included her in much of the discussion.

I'm not sure if I made the right choice, but I do know we made a good one.

howto

Dec 11, 2012
Ask for her input and explain how she can either stay at her current school but have less of a future or move to a better school with better opportunities.