Taking on too much...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I would love some thoughts.

Azriel is in his second last year of high school. (Year 11)
He is doing two accelerated year 12 classes.
He has a job as a piano tutor.
He is in the upcoming school musical.
He does roller derby.
He plays mixed netball.
He is on the school's debate team.

He is burning out but he won't admit it. The kid is constantly tired, always stressed about something, he's developing a much shorter fuse, he has stopped many of his more passive hobbies like playimg video games and drawing.
I can't get him to slow down, he won't drop anything and I'm getting really worried because what he is sacrificing is time with his friends, time with his girlfriend and sleep.

I don't know how to get him to slow down. It's nearly midnight on a sunday and he is writing cue cards for debating.
Any ideas to convince him to take it easy (and hopefully drop something)?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
If you honestly think he is burning the wick at both ends....it may be time for a mommy over ride. He may not be able to say no, and while he'll object to you saying no, it might just be the out he needs.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I kind of agree with M2M. If it's as bad as you say, I would describe to him how it looks to you and why you are worried etc, and tell him he needs to pick one thing to drop. It's up to him which one, and you aren't doing it to be mean, only because you love him and worry about him, but he needs to do it. You're his mom, you know when something isn't good for him. Trust your instincts.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think you guys are right, it is starting to get out of hand and it is time we put our foot down.

I was talking to Ash about this and we have decided that he is going to tell Azriel that he has to choose one thing to drop. Azriel listens to him more than he does me.

Thanks guys.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Now I want to watch Rugrats. They should put that back on TV, I liked all the jokes that were in there for adults that the kids didn't get.

Avianmosquito

Banned
Aug 9, 2013
cybele said:
Now I want to watch Rugrats. They should put that back on TV, I liked all the jokes that were in there for adults that the kids didn't get.
Same reason I liked Animaniacs, really. (Except when I was a kid, I got them.)

But forgive me for asking, what exactly does this have to do with overworked teenagers?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Can't say I know that show. I'm guessing it falls between the period of my cartoon watching an my kid's cartoon watching.

Avianmosquito

Banned
Aug 9, 2013
cybele said:
Can't say I know that show. I'm guessing it falls between the period of my cartoon watching an my kid's cartoon watching.
Yeah, it's from the '90s. It's also the god-king of getting crap past the radar. Some of these things make you wonder if the censorship committee was drunk.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I loved Rugrats, it's on Netflix you know! :D

Avian - She mentioned the Rugrats because M2M said "A mama's gotta do, what a mama's gotta do". Probably reminded Cybele of when Tommy always used to say "A baby's gotta do, what a baby's gotta do".

Avianmosquito

Banned
Aug 9, 2013
Xero said:
I loved Rugrats, it's on Netflix you know! :D

Avian - She mentioned the Rugrats because M2M said "A mama's gotta do, what a mama's gotta do". Probably reminded Cybele of when Tommy always used to say "A baby's gotta do, what a baby's gotta do".
Oh. Right. It's been a while since I've seen it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Instead of mandating that he drop one thing, how about a discussion about goals and time management, how we face that struggle as adults, and go point by point through each activity and relate it to how it helps him move toward his goals. It may suddenly come clear that some activity he likes doesn't really serve a purpose in his busy life right now.

Debate takes an insane amount of time. I was in debate, wasn't terribly good, so I could have used a bit more time in preparation, but the kids who were good spent crazy time researching and writing.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
BTW, it appears Hulu is region blocked in Australia too....there are ways around it if you want to google that. From what I've read it's legal "grey territory."

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well Ash and Azriel had a chat last night and he has agreed that he has bitten off more than he can chew. He also admitted that he thinks that his school work is being affected negatively, but he isn't sure what he wants to drop just yet. Ash told him that as school work is becoming an issue he has to the end of the week to choose something, or we will choose for him, Azriel agreed that was fair.
So we will see I guess.