Taking on too much...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Here it’s all about grades too, unless you get a sports-scholarship, and since sports at university level aren’t nearly as big an industry as it is in America, those are few and far between.

I’ve always found the emphasis that American colleges put on extra-curricular activities slightly odd. Frankly, I fail to see how being on the yearbook committee, or taking part in athletics makes one a better engineer or accountant of whatever...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Singledad, being in an extracurricular activity is associated with getting higher grades. The correlation is strong, and one of the main arguments in favor of providing a variety of extracurriculars for students.

Being on a yearbook committee (you mean designing the yearbook, I assume) shows that a student has practice working with graphics programs and page layout, can be depended on to go out and get the pictures and/or interview for captions they need on their own time, and can work together to produce an appealing publication. That says a little more than "I showed up to English class for four years and did all the worksheets."

Besides fitness-related fields, being in a sport might simply demonstrate that a student is hard-working and stands out from candidates who go home and watch TV after school.

Debate is a little different, because it directly teaches research and public speaking skills that are unmatched by classroom instruction. Any flaw in your choice of references, or interpretation of those references, will be torn apart by the opposition. That's their entire task for the whole 90 minutes, so they're going to find flaws even where there aren't flaws, and your job is to defend your position against that. It's more scrutiny than you get from a teacher or professor, because the point is to make you lose. It requires more preparation than writing one paper, because you don't even know what arguments you might encounter, and therefore must have an assortment of supporting research, and be familiar with it enough to find it during an opponent's speech. And you have to be able to defend and rebut your positions quickly and articulately, because they are asked in real time in front of a judge. I can't tell you how useful that practice was to me in college, and to my teammates who went on to do much more than I did.

Getting into a college is one thing, but being prepared to excel in it once you do is also important, and that's really the point in high school.

Lilmetalhead

Aug 29, 2013
NE
The way things are done in Australia are just different than what we are used to in the states. If our system was based purely on grades, more kids <I>might</I> pay more attention in school. I know a lot of kids who just do the minimum to get by knowing they can go to a less prestigious school &amp; still pursue the course of study they want. Plenty of other kids do the minimum to keep them on the eligibility list for extra curriculars &amp; then depend on the extra curriculars to get them into a college. (We won't even discuss the kids who don't want to go to college)

Neither system is perfect. It's just what works for those countries. Although, I do have to wonder if our system really works for us seeing that we rank #17 world wide for education. Would a system more focused on the classroom work better? Or would it be something that would keep more kids from going to college? I know that there are a lot of "party schools" in this country. (the biggest one in Nebraska is also the closest one to the city we live in) Do other countries have this problem? ("party schools" are colleges where the kids go to be away from their parents to drink &amp; have a good time, not necessarily get a degree)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
No such thing as a 'party school' here. School is school and that's all there is to it.

Should also note that campuses don't have housing here though. There are a few uni apartments for international/interstate students near the bigger universities but it's the norm to live at home until you graduate. That probably plays a part in it.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I think the term "party schools" is unfair, because these schools do have legitimate programs of study and do graduate their students. It just means that the proportion of "unmotivated" students, who don't attend for the purpose of applying themselves academically and succeeding in a serious program of study, are higher than other schools. Some schools even promote this type of enrollment, by being unselective, because of the infusion of funds they get before the student drops out.

Living at home during college wouldn't work very well in the U.S., because you would be limited geographically. Most serious students choose their school based on the programs they offer, and what are the chances that your parents happen to live near that one? Students who live with their parents tend to go to community colleges, rather than universities, and these do not offer the diversity of programs, nor are they considered to be of the same quality. One middle-ground strategy is to get all your "core" classes at a community college, then transfer to a university for your major, but too often universities won't allow you to transfer the credits (and often for good reason, because the caliber of education is not equal).

Perhaps Australia's population is more geographically clustered, I don't know. But none of the community colleges within 300 miles of my parents' home offered the course of study I chose, so that wouldn't have been an option for me. Besides, they lacked the lab equipment to have provided quality science courses even at the core level. So I could not have gone the route of living at home, unless I had a private jet or something for the commute!

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
We are much more clustered but long commutes are quite common. Dita drives to uni and it's about an hour each way because it's in the CBD, Violet dives part way then takes the train the rest of the way because her's is also in the CBD, but parking there is too expensive, it takes her about 1.5 hours each way, but that is normal.

Each state has pretty much the same universities so really the only kids that travel are those that go to Tasmania because the entry scores are lower there and they couldn't get into their course of choice in their own state. Good old Tassie.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I don't know how you'd have time to study, driving three hours a day! I mean, we are known for long commutes here because it's very rural, but rarely does someone drive more than 45 minutes one-way every day. Taking a train might actually be a viable option. There's a lot you can get done in that time. But if you're behind the wheel, no way. I don't know what gas prices are there, but it seems like you'd be able to rent a small place for the same price as she's currently paying for gas, and save some time. I don't understand why there isn't university housing, though. Is there not demand?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
No demand, no space, waste of money.
If you were to build university housing you would have to knock down houses that people actually need to live in to put it there.

Dita spends $80 on fuel a week so that isn't even comparable to rental prices. Not to mention all the other bills on top of that, when would she get time to study if she was spending so much time at work? ;)