Talking...

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
what age did your children start talking Alegra will be 13 months on the 28th of this month and she said her first word today. she is a month ahead of Felix but being a girl they learn faster when they are younger don't they? I'm not sure anyway just curious.

btw her first word was "Mumumumumum" lol she said it three times in about an hour whilst pulling on my pants trying to get my attention cause i was busy fixing Felix from him latest active boy related incident lol. i swear he has more cuts and bruises than a professional speedway driver haha

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh, every kid is going to be different. Most kids just decide when they want to talk, and do it lol. Most of the time in the next couple of years they all end up at the same level anyway, no matter how early or late they started up. In my personal experience with DS, he said his first word at I think 6 or 7 months and I believe it was "Baba" lol (for his bottle). Then around 7-8 months he said "Dada" (of course dad before mom, little stinker lol) it wasn't until at least 10 or 11 months that he finally said "Mama". I was so excited haha. Somewhere around the same time he was also saying "Kiki" for the cat. Shortly after turning one, one of the first things he learned to say was "Cup!" to ask for his sippy cup. :) Its so cute when they starts saying words, its just the best.

Go Alegra!!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
sadly, I don't remember...I always thought I'd remember each of those milestones, but I don't. It sounds perfectly lovely that she's discovered "mumumum." It make sme smile to think of that stage in their lives, it must fill you with joy.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not exactly sure when my daughter started talking. It seems her first words were in Chinese. She must have been about 10 or 11 months old. She might have said 2 or 3 words in English by that time, but she would spend a lot of time walking around the house with a phone (remote, calculator, block, banana) to her ear, "talking." I love how they do that with all the correct inflection and pausing. It's sooooo cute.

She was babbling, of course, but there seemed to be a few sounds that she repeated frequently and with the same pattern and pronunciation each time, and I began to wonder if they meant something. Then one morning she was still dressed in her bunny pjs when Ayee, (auntie) arrived. When she saw my daughter, she clapped and said, "Xiao bai tudzi." That was it! That's what my daughter had been saying over and over again.

It means "Little white bunny." Ayee used to read her Miffy books, and I guess she was talking to her good friend Miffy on the phone.

I don't know if she was saying anything else in Chinese at the time, but I quickly began to recognize other words and phrases, such as "yao fan fan" (I want to eat), "shui" (water), "ping guo" (apple), etc.

Her English started to come along a little later, but she didn't call me Mama until we moved home to the US when she was 19 months old. She started to say dada pretty regularly when she was about 6 or 7 months old, but that was purely babbling because her dad hadn't been in the picture for a few months, and I only ever referred to him as Papa.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i heard that bi lingual children have later language development though correct? because at home we speak both French and English.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Antoinette said:
i heard that bi lingual children have later language development though correct? because at home we speak both French and English.
That's what I had heard as well, and so I started using sign language because I thought there would come a point when she would become very frustrated. Most of her first words in English were words she could sign or things she could otherwise point to. And Ayee used a lot of "signing" with her, as well. Like she would ask her how old she was, and she would say "Yi xue," and hold up one finger. (You are one year old when you are born in Asia.)

I have always attributed her early language development in part to signing.

Domoviye

May 4, 2011
Nanjing China
I started to talk when I was almost 3. But I understood everything people said to me, and when I did speak it was in full sentences. So I could speak I just didn't want to.
Since my daughter is in a bilingual household I don't know when she will speak. Everyone speaks to her as much as possible so hopefully she won't be too delayed. Bilingual children are generally 6 months behind, but catch up quickly.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
well, Alegra is nearly 13 months and has just started. Felix was nearly 15 months but he started speaking french an english at the same time at the same level.. Alegra is yet to utter a french word. but this os only day 2 of any language so I'm thrilled LOL

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think I have heard that about bilingual children too actually. Its a good thing though, being bilingual they are better off in the long run anyway!! :)

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Jack was just under a year when he started saying words, his first word was bws, and he ended up being obsessed with bws' (buses) for ages.

Amelia started a couple of days after her first birthday, he first word was tad (dad) and after about three weeks she had added two more words, though I cannot remember what they were, but I know one of them was English.

Jake started talking at 10 months, his first word was tor (though he didn't pronounce the t) which is belly.

Jade was 17 months, however she was delayed due to how she was treated with a baby, very little stimulation, she only had contact when being fed, changed or bathed. Her first word was mami.

Livvy was 15 months, again she had similar delays to Jade due to a lack of stimulation when she was a very young baby, only the first 6 weeks, but it has a significant impact. Her first word was dada.

robertg7

May 31, 2011
This reminds me of the urban legend about the boy who never talked, and then out of the blue said, "please pass the broccoli" at the dinner table when he was 8 years old. Everyone's in shock and asks him why he didn't speak before. He says, "I never had to; you always passed me the broccoli without my asking."

Morquinn

Jul 9, 2011
My first daughter started talking about 8-9 months old.. she is now 3 and doesnt stop talking.. my 18 month old on the other hand can only a "mama" and "dada" and "bye" and she just started that recently. I catch my 3 year old also talking in spanish thanks to Dora lol

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Domoviye said:
I started to talk when I was almost 3. But I understood everything people said to me, and when I did speak it was in full sentences. So I could speak I just didn't want to.
My nephew is 2.5 almost 3. He probably started saying things like Mama and Daddy, milk, bottle, the name of his sleep toy, etc., when he was under a year, but I don't really consider that talking, and neither did he, apparantly. This child obviously had a lot to say, but for whatever reason, he was a little delayed in producing the language. As a result, he was famous for his meltdowns. You could never satisfy him. He'd have screaming fits, and it was always because he wanted something and you didn't understand what he wanted. But he was otherwise a loving child and I could just tell there was so much going on in his head.

When I cared for him about three or four months ago, he wasn't saying much more than described above, but one time I was talking to him and his sister and my daughter (the two girls are the same age.) They wanted me to tell them things about themselves. I said, "G knows what he wants to say but he doesn't know how to say it and so he gets very frustrated and starts to scream like this . . . " He just smiled, nodded his head, and then started laughing and screaming like that . . .

About three weeks ago I spent a week with him at the beach. It was amazing to see the difference from day one to day seven in his language. I just spent last weekend with them, and he was speaking very clearly and in complete sentences with a wide vocabulary. He was even cracking jokes. He's quite a character!

I teach high school students to read, and I see so much correlation between what I teach and how my child and my nieces and nephews developed their language. It is fascinating!

andi

Jul 9, 2011
Canada
My daughter started talking when she was 6-7 months old, saying dada, mumma, and dog...now she's almost 3 and chatters away like crazy...

Every child is different and will progress with different things at different times, my daughter talked early, but she didn't have ANY desire to even try to use the potty until this week, whereas my friends son was potty trained shortly after his first birthday, but didn't say his first word until he was 16 months :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
My husband didn't talk until he was five years old.....and he hasn't shut up since :). I just read an article about this. It was saying that a language delay has no bearing on the 'long run'.

Ilo is seven months now and not saying any words, but will repeat sounds you make. And it seems like kids will say dada first. Figures! You do all the work, they get all the credit! :)

xGolfGirlx

Banned
Jul 15, 2011
I have a daughter who is 5 and she has to go see a speech therapist because her speech is not always clear. Where my son who is 3 can speak better then her. Every child is different... you raise them the exact same and they come out so different :)