Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons > Geoff L...

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Geoff L, and anyone else who has used this program.
I got the book after you mentioned it and tried the first lesson with my three year old.
She now knows that M makes the MMMMMM sound and that S makes the ssssss sound. We tried to do the other task and she will say them all fast. I can not get her to do the say it slow lesson. Should I continue with the same lesson till she does or do you think its safe to move on.
I waited a long while before going back to the sounds and printed them off in a different script and she showed her dad and she still knew the sound while showing her dad. She did attempt writing the letters but only succeeded in making a scribbled s but m didn't turn out.
Did you follow all the steps to the "T" or did you let some things slide too?
Task 2 looks the same as task 1 and we will do review tomorrow but I am worried about her having to repeat the word slowly. we will try but if she doesnt do it, I am wondering if its safe for her to learn
aaaaaa :p ?

Geoff L

PF Regular
Jun 2, 2008
I'd just keep on moving. The long slow pronunciation is to work on the correct sound, if she has it down fast don't stress on making her do it slow, she sounds like a typical 3 year old, so just follow her on this and try different subtle ways to pull her around on it. She could be just playing with you. I'd play back with her, maybe say everything fast just like her, try to go fast as you can and then go back to slow and slower for every word you say. Every sound of every word.
I am doing this book for the 3rd time (it has broken into pieces!)! to be honest I am not even follwoing any of the instruction but just working on him recognising the letters, words how to sound them out all using my own langauge and method to teach it. Makes for a more relaxed session and can adjust to the mood of the child!
I tried the writing portion with my son when he was 3yrs and 8ths but his fingers didnt have enough control over the pencil so I dropped that, he is now 4yrs and 3mths and just completed lesson 60 and we still arent writing. I have decided to leave it off for now, we are in the groove and his limit for paying attention on this is about 15-20mins, add the writing and it's too long. I'd suggest you consider if you need it at this stage.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
we are doing really well and she is picking up the letter sounds so fast. She is evenpointing them out in other things I am reading. So I am thinking we are just going to continue the sounds and her repeating the words to me. It has helped with her speach so much its unreal and we are not even very far at all.
She can recognise M S A & E. she went right to am and sounded it out all by herself. :)
I am hoping this is better or just as good as any speach therapy she would of recieved.

Geoff L

PF Regular
Jun 2, 2008
Thats awesome, sounds like mother and child are BOTH doing well! Looks like your confidence and enthusiasm is feeding off of her and everyone is having a good time. You have made my day!

SchizoidMom

Sep 11, 2008
Midwest
I've been reading about teaching early reading, to understand why my kids seemed to pick it up so naturally, and the thing that has made the most sense is the idea that reading skills can be acquired simultaneously with speaking skills. In fact it makes the most sense to introduce the written language (letters, word-building, text orientation) when our kids are just babies. A book called "Native Reading" by Timothy Kailing, spells this out better than I can, and it's not really about teaching reading, it's about how to set up a a home environment with enough correlations (Kailing uses this term a lot!) between the written and spoken forms of language. It makes loads of sense to me, and after reading this book I felt sorry for all those parents who gave testimonials aftering having used flash cards and videos and followed some strict schedules to teach their toddlers to read. Who has time/patience/money for that? Kailing's book gives enough scientific details to impress this biologist-turned-mom, but it's not overwhelming, in fact, a lot of that stuff is tucked into a notes section at the back that's easy to save for later. Kailing really makes a strong case for what geniuses all children are with language between the ages of one and three, and also usefully points out that for much of human history, most people were illiterate, so why should we think our current methods for teaching reading are all that ideal? I have to be honest and say I haven't checked out the 100 easy lessons book, but I honestly think my kids learned to read so early not because I taught them, but because they were exposed to the written word as soon as they could focus their little eyes! I'd be interested to hear a comparison from another parent who has read/tried both methods.