Teaching financial literacy to kids?

jacob123

Mar 29, 2022
Has anyone managed to get their kids to understand the value of money? For some context, I'm a college student doing some research on the benefits of financial literacy at the middle and high school levels. My group has been doing research talking to parents to learn about their experiences trying to teach their kids about money.

I've talked to a few parents that are trying to get their kids to understand simple things like savings but it’s proved very difficult for them. The majority of the time the kid is not interested and when they do sit down to talk they can’t seem to keep them engaged longer than 5 minutes before going back to his video games/social media. I understand kids have other interests at that age but my hypothesis is that it’s important for them to start learning now.

Has anyone found any strategies or lessons that worked well? Any tips would be greatly appreciated and if you are a parent open to having a quick conversation about your experiences would love to chat as well!