Teaching science to my child.....

kamalikax

Nov 16, 2010
I recently ran into a friend's son who is 11 and doing very good in school. It was a windy day and I asked him if he knew where the wind comes from. To my surprise, he didn't know. Apparently that kind of stuff isn't taught at his school which, by the way, is in a v good school district in Massachusetts. I am relatively new to this country, so some of this might be my ignorance, so wanted to hear your views on how science is taught to children here and if I should be concerned for my 7 yr old.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Weather systems are taught in Geography in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if an 11 year old didn't know how wind comes to be, they would know that when hot and cool air collides it causes turbulence, but they wouldn't be able to comprehend the full explanation for wind.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I would bet most adults can't explain where wind comes from. That being said, thinking back, I think most of my first instruction in school about weather was maybe in 7th grade, we had "earth science" that year, learned about barometric pressure, weather systems etc as part of that.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I don't' think you need to be concerned. American schools will get to it eventually! lol It could have been that that boy you spoke to didn't have an interest in weather and didn't remember what he learned.

We teach our children all aspects of science at age appropriate levels. I know my son learned science since kindergarten but it was not called science at that level. As a matter of fact, I don't think it was part of the curriculum until about 3rd or 4th grade. I remember there was no grade place labeled Science on the report card. But Science was taught all along in many different ways.

Since kindergarden, the kids did all kinds of experiments. Studied rocks, medals, learned about the earth and the planets and had fun with it without calling it science. Plants were also a big learning thing, how they produce oxygen and why the leaves change colors. Yes, I remember those days of collecting leaves.

Why don't you just talk to his school and find out when they began to teach science. I'm sure it will ease your concerns.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
That was my first thought haha...

....you mean it doesn't really come from that cheesy cloud cartoon on the weather map with his cheeks puffed out, blowing chilly air from Alberta?

Aussie Barb

PF Regular
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hi Kamalikax
I'm sure the school will get to it, too. However there are some great books on this kind of topic and other interesting aspects of science for kids. Maybe a search of Amazon would yield some gems. Good luck

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Sometimes you have to be a little careful to make sure you're asking the right question before you jump to a conclusion.

To have "wind" you need both a medium (air) and a pressure differential. The question "where does wind come from" may include the inherent question of where air itself comes from, which is not an easy question to answer. You need to think about the formation of nitrogen and oxygen and other lighter elements that are largely created in stellar fusion, and how one gets from the inside of a sun to cool planet, and how those gases collect over the surface to form an atmosphere and how gravity keeps them from floating away.

An "I don't know" response from an 11 year old may imply that he or she does not understand one detail in all of that and is unable to articulate it.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Thanks Choppy..lol
Without googling it I thought wind was a result of the earth spinning on it's axes! You know...spinning... makes wind. NO? lol

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad said:
....you mean it doesn't really come from that cheesy cloud cartoon on the weather map with his cheeks puffed out, blowing chilly air from Alberta?
Well that's what I always thought... LOL :D

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
My 9 1/2 year old...sheesh! I am going to get IDK tattooed on his forehead. He cannot stop saying "I don't know" any time you ask him anything. This is the same kid who gets the little * on his standardized testing scores, which means he answered every question correct.

I think it's good to supplement what they learn in school. The schools seem to be more keen on teaching the kids what is on the standardized testing instead of a 'rounded' curriculum. But I wouldn't be too worried if you get an "I don't know" response out of a 11 year old, even if you ask him what his name is.

lanceallen

Dec 18, 2010
im not sure its different in every school, but to be honest i don't evn know where wind comes from i thought it was just their like air hah

SylviaM

Dec 21, 2010
This is where overseeing your kids education comes in.. I don't think schools in the US are as diligent as other countries, for sure. I wish children came away EVERYONE being able to speak another language. That being said, a good education is still provided and you can count on a great education.

somebody

PF Regular
Dec 20, 2010
I don't know much about what is taught when in schools. I home school my kids for now. Almost all states post grade level expectations for each subject. You could look up what they are *supposed* to cover. Whether or not they do, and whether or not it is done in a good way is another matter.

That said, there is no reason that you cannot cover material outside of school. Science is one subject that can be handled with a great deal of fun. Some people do formal "after schooling" and some people just use science topics as a good start for fun projects and experiments.

A mom

Apr 1, 2011
Here in London (UK) schools are taught science from their first grade in full time school. Its called 'Knowledge & Understanding of the world' and its done in a fun way - example raisins in fizzy drinks, dyes in water, Changing shapes of water in containers etc.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
IADad said:

OMG IADad, way to turn my world upside down! I suppose next you'll tell me the moon isn't really made of cheese?! I'm not listening LA LA LA LA LA!:p

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I have to say that my daughter, who isn't even in pre-k yet, learns "science." I'm not that terribly impressed with the "preschool program" at her daycare, but she is definitely learning about plants and spring and such. She seems to be particularly interested in science, but I think she gets most of her questions answered on PBS Kids, not at school. She often talks to me about things, perhaps rain or rocks, etc., and then asks me, "Is that science, Mommy?"

I've seen the pre-k curriculum and it involves science-type learning. I'm looking forward to her getting into that next year. I like what I see in the curriculum. I'd like to teach it.

OpinionsGalore

Apr 2, 2011
I wouldn't be concerned!

I don't think it is even introduced until about fourth grade or so, and is not explained in detail until seventh grade. It is about complicated and you need a few years of background information about weather principles to REALLY get it. (Do you think a third grader could quite grasp the concept about continental winds or marintine winds or what happens when such and such collides?) ;)