Teen smoking...

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
So, here we go. I caught my 15-year old son smoking. He said all the right things, that it was just the one time, that smoking is stupid, yada yada. I realized I couldn't trust that that was the case. Last week, he was caught smoking at school.

So, I guess my question is: now what? How can I stop him from smoking? How can I dissuade him without turning the next X years into a war?

Thoughts appreciated.

BrissyMumma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I remember my mum catching my older brother when we were younger smoking. He kept telling mum that all the cool kids did it and he liked it. & This may be a bit unconventional and im definitely not recommending and never in a million years would do it to my kids. But she made him sit and smoke a whole packet withing an hour. He never ever touched another smoke in his life.

I cant really add much as i only have an 18 month old , but i hope you find a way to make him realise its not cool and its definitely not good for his health

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
BrissyMumma said:
I remember my mum catching my older brother when we were younger smoking. He kept telling mum that all the cool kids did it and he liked it. & This may be a bit unconventional and im definitely not recommending and never in a million years would do it to my kids. But she made him sit and smoke a whole packet withing an hour. He never ever touched another smoke in his life.
no honestly that actually works. i never had it done to me but i know ppl who did and it turned them off for the rest of there lives. i donno like its hard to say how its gonna be. some kids its just a cool phase that he does with friends every once in ahwile and ends when schools done. but some start out social and then start smokin all the time., i still buy a king pack id say every 3 months id say (i started off just with friends when i was 13 in hs). just make sure u let him kno that u want him to stop cus of health risks not cus it makes him look bad.

i donno what u wanna do....but i just know what brissymumma said works

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
sbattisti said:
So, I guess my question is: now what? How can I stop him from smoking? How can I dissuade him without turning the next X years into a war?

Thoughts appreciated.
First of all - No, you can't stop him. If you try, he'll just do it behind your back.

I would, first of all, educate him. Be as graphic as you can. Remember, kids that age are invincible - they struggle to believe that anything bad can happen to them.

Secondly, make sure you do nothing that would make it easy for him, and that he has to deal with the full consequences of his actions.
- No extra money - if he spends his allowance on cigarettes, he can go without lunch. Its not your problem.
- Even if he was an adult, it would still be 100% within your rights to tell him not to smoke in your house, so if he does you can punish him as harshly as you feel necessary. The same goes if you find butts in your garden.
- If he comes in smelling of smoke, feel free to tell him "Yuck, you stink! Go chance your clothes and wash the ones you have on yourself, cause I'm not dealing with your stinky laundry". (Just make sure he knows you object to him smoking, not to him as a person)
- If he gets caught smoking at school, encourage them to punish him as they see fit, and don't defend him. Those are the consequences and he has to deal with them.

In spite of all this, chances are he will continue to smoke into adulthood. There really isn't much you can do about it. Even if you turn your house into a war zone, it probably won't help. :(

Good luck!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I completely agree with singledad. I would also go into the legal aspect of it. He cannot buy cigarettes until he is 18, (in the USA) and whoever is selling them to him could get caught and a) get fired from their job and/or b) go to jail. Also go into the legal ramifications for HIM.

If he is caught by a police officer, he will get probation for a while (don't know how long, I haven't been on the force in a while). And it will be on his record that he has a criminal past. I will say that this is VERY unlikely but I wouldn't tell him that. It only takes one police officer and one bad day for said officer.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i am 19 and i have only ever tried 1 cigarette in my entire life... it really was a one time thing i was about 15 and it seemed like a good idea. my friend and i stole one each from dad and took a lighter and snuck into the bush it took forever to light them and by the end i was just wow this it pointless lol...

back to your problem..

at the end of the day if he has decided to smoke there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. he is 15 and has free will and defiance to boot. the more you tell him not to do it the more he will want to (i was 15 like 4 years ago lol) you just have to talk to him and tell him the ramifications legally and to his health. explain to him its gross and woman don't find it attractive at all. at the end of the day he has to be the one to decide to quit all by himself... frustrating hey? :p

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for your advice, everyone.

Yeah, part of the frustration is that he's well aware of the health ramifications. Lord knows they beat it to death in school these days, and he's a smart kid. And he's always told me how disgusting he thinks it is, etc. I know when I see him next, he'll say that it was just a one-time thing and it was stupid, etc. But of course, he ALWAYS says that, and he's continuing to make poor choices. That's the saddest part, the deception. Shockingly, though, I suspect I'm not the first parent to deal with this. :D

We have a pretty close relationship. If he's rebelling, it's likely against his mom, not against me per se. I don't want to turn my relationship with him into a war either, but I also don't want to "enable" him. I like singledad's suggestions, but how do I handle the money thing? I mean, he gets an allowance now. What's to stop him from spending that on ciggies?

Someone outside of here suggested I get a jar full of cigarette butts and put them on the kitchen table next to his plate every time we eat. :)

I wish I knew WHY he was smoking. I'll ask him, but I'm fairly sure I won't get an answer. I suspect the answer is likely to be "I dunno," or "I like it." Which doesn't tell me much.

Ugh!

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
I started smoking when I was 14 in highschool. It was the cool thing to do with my friends etc. Then once I was outta highschool and hit the bar scene regularly, I was smoking every night. :S I quit for a while, then started up again when I was going to school full time. I smoke now too. It's a filthy horrible habit, but like the smoke packs say, quitting smoking is harder then detoxing from cocaine.... So all in all, I agree with singledad. He hit the nail right on the head :(

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
sbattisti said:
Thanks for your advice, everyone.

Yeah, part of the frustration is that he's well aware of the health ramifications. Lord knows they beat it to death in school these days, and he's a smart kid. And he's always told me how disgusting he thinks it is, etc. I know when I see him next, he'll say that it was just a one-time thing and it was stupid, etc. But of course, he ALWAYS says that, and he's continuing to make poor choices. That's the saddest part, the deception. Shockingly, though, I suspect I'm not the first parent to deal with this. :D

We have a pretty close relationship. If he's rebelling, it's likely against his mom, not against me per se. I don't want to turn my relationship with him into a war either, but I also don't want to "enable" him. I like singledad's suggestions, but how do I handle the money thing? I mean, he gets an allowance now. What's to stop him from spending that on ciggies?

Someone outside of here suggested I get a jar full of cigarette butts and put them on the kitchen table next to his plate every time we eat. :)

I wish I knew WHY he was smoking. I'll ask him, but I'm fairly sure I won't get an answer. I suspect the answer is likely to be "I dunno," or "I like it." Which doesn't tell me much.

Ugh!
there is no alterior motive...why does anyone smoke? theres no point to it...its just that literally eveyone in hs tries smoking and if u have friends that smoke its just anothe thing u have in common

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
On the money issue - I think it's fair to say that because he's been caught smoking on multiple occasions, the allowance is gone. You can buy anything he needs for the next few months.

Who are his friends now? Do they smoke? You may want to consider limiting access to these people.

Where is he getting the cigarettes? Find out and report the source.

You don't have to go into all out war, but this is, in my opinion, an issue to be very strict about.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
xox.ilu.xox said:
but like the smoke packs say, quitting smoking is harder then detoxing from cocaine....
I disagree with that. Its a nice little double purpose warning that's supposed scare people off smoking, but in reality scares/discourages people from quitting. I started smoking at about 11 (scary, I know) and I quit at 31. And having a little bit of experience with cocaine, I can say that the only reason why cigarettes can be harder to quit is because it is socially acceptable, and therefore freely available, and because it doesn't feel like a big deal, so your motivation to stay off isn't always that high. :rolleyes:

About the money - are there things he has to buy from his allowance? If so, I would give him ensure that his allowance is just enough to cover that. If he than chooses to spend his money on cigarettes, he must do without. You did your job as a parent by providing him with the money he needed. If he misuses that money, he must deal with the consequence.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
eh i would hate having to quit something like that... i don't have anything i use enough that i couldn't stop.... i drink a lot of Coke but i go through stages where i don't touch it at all lol ehh being a smoker would suck...

bbennett89

Dec 26, 2010
Arlington Texas
For me - I started smoking when I was 14 with a large group of friends.. I had turned them down and turned them down but finally gave up on saying 'no' besides my entire family smokes so I was kind of wondering what the big deal was anyway. I was smoking for a while and no one seemed to notice anything.. I had older friends who sold cigarettes outside my school for 2 dollars a pack and never hesitated to buy them for me. My mom found an empty pack in my computer desk when I was 15 and her reaction was terrible. She told me that her father let her start smoking when she was 15 so she saw no reason to stop me. I didn't agree with her then and I don't now.. If my son was 15 and I caught him smoking, allowing him to continue doing so with my permission, acceptance, and even buying them for him would be the very LAST thing on my list of reactions and choices of how to handle it. I quit shortly after because it wasn't what I wanted for myself.. it made my hair smell bad, I didn't enjoy the after taste and my moms lack of concern and care for the situation really bothered me.

However, if I were in your situation I would take him to his dentist and have the doctor show your son what smoking does to you. and show him pictures online and tell him all of the facts about it. Good luck getting through to him!!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with Superman that there generally is no ulterior motive. Most kids I know that start smoking aren't doing it because they hate their parents or they are crying out for help or something, but because they see other people doing it, it looks cool, its something else to have in common with your friends, and it feels good. Its pleasureful, you know? I do not smoke and have never been a smoker, but I have smoked a few cigarettes throughout my life (mostly out of curiosity, really) and I can see why people like them and are addicted to them, I even kind of enjoyed the few that I tried. What kid wouldn't be drawn to something that feels nice and is cool to do with your friends? I truely think that it is as simple as that, so don't put too much thought into it.

As for what to do, I wouldn't go crazy as sadly he is going to do what he wants behind your back most of the time anyway, but I would do my best to stop him if you think you can. Like others have said, I would educate the crap out of him. Obviously the school system kind of drills it into their heads, but still do some of it on your own too. Try to make him watch a bunch of youtube videos on the effects of smoking on the body, take him to the doctor for a regular physical or what have you and ask the doctor to tell him all the negativity of smoking, same with the dentist. It sounds like a real pain and a lot of going out of your way, but its totally worth it because WOW smoking is so bad for you haha plus its illegal for him to be doing it. Another thing would be to threaten him with the fact that whoever he is asking to buy his cigarettes for him can go to jail, because it is completely illegal to buy cigarettes for a minor (like Fo7 said, that's actually really unlikely, but he doesn't have to know that). You can even pull up an article off of the internet explaining the details of this to prove it to him, or if you're brave you can take him to the station to have an officer explain it to him. :p

I also think that he should not have an allowance if he is spending his money on cigarettes (the price they are now, I highly doubt his friends are handing out freebies). Sadly, at this point, allowance will kind of enable him, you know? I don't know about his school, but the schools in my area all have individual "lunch accounts" for every kid and you can write a check to put lunch money in it, it doesn't just have to be cash in his hand to tempt him if you can do that. That would take care of lunch, and honestly other than that you could probably personally buy him anything else he needs for a while until he figures things out (hopefully). I'm sure he wants money for a pop machine or something too, but that maybe might just have to be a consequence for a little bit (its not that bad, really haha). Last but not least, honestly I would probably ground him for a bit. A few days to a week possibly, and this being because he is getting cigarettes from someone that he's hanging out with, and since I'm sure he wont just point fingers so you can filter out his friends, then maybe he needs a little time away from them. That's just my opinion though.

I think these are just the steps I would take though, they might sound kind of harsh but cigarettes kill about 5.8 million people a year. That fact alone is enough to scare the crap out of me if I found out my kid was smoking. My husband smokes, and I wish he would quit but its not just that easy at least not at this point in his life. He is thinking about trying the e-cigs (which is always a very very very last option if you can't keep your son away from regular cigarettes, as they still give you the good feeling and they're actually kind of cool lol but they don't have any of the harmful effects that regular cigarettes do).

My husband started smoking when he was about 12, and when his grandma found out (she was the first to notice, and he lived all over the place throughout his life) she made him and his cousin (who was also doing it) smoke a cigar, thinking it would make them sick and turn them off. On the contrary, they both loved it and it didn't phase them a bit. :/ Sadly, once DH's mom found out, she allowed it 100% and even bought his cigarettes for him from then on until he was old enough to do it himself. -sigh- Crazy!

You can't get real mad and flip out or go crazy (which I would feel like doing lol) because that might make it worse and it might not even matter, so it would probably do more harm than good. You don't seem like that type anyway though. I do think that some serious steps could be taken though, and all with the clear intentions of trying to better his life and keep him from hurting himself. I would make that very clear. That you are only worried about his health and how bad smoking is for him. And not to focus on anything related to how mad it makes you or how much you dislike it.

Either way, I'm so sorry you have to go through this and I hope I never have to! :( Good luck and I really hope he uses his brain and sees the light.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero said:
I agree with Superman that there generally is no ulterior motive. Most kids I know that start smoking aren't doing it because they hate their parents or they are crying out for help or something, but because they see other people doing it, it looks cool, its something else to have in common with your friends, and it feels good. Its pleasureful, you know? I do not smoke and have never been a smoker, but I have smoked a few cigarettes throughout my life (mostly out of curiosity, really) and I can see why people like them and are addicted to them, I even kind of enjoyed the few that I tried. What kid wouldn't be drawn to something that feels nice and is cool to do with your friends? I truely think that it is as simple as that, so don't put too much thought into it.
Yup, that's about it for me and for most people I know who started smoking as teens. Plus there's the element of danger because you know you'll get in trouble if caught. Half the fun is in getting away with breaking the rules...

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I don't believe there is much you can really do to stop him. I do agree though that I would sit him down and explain that you love him enough to stop his allowance. You can't support his habit to destroy his life after all. You love him too much. On top of that, google the images for smoking related diseases and tape them everywhere. If nothing else, one day he'll remember you loved him enough to try to stop him.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I see your point about the deception. That would bother me too.

Consider this, and i'm throwing it out here to think about, talk about, not necessarily as "teh" answer. But since you have such an open relationship with him, what if you don't talk so much about the smoking and talk about the deception. He obviously has to hide what he's doing, hide it from you, the authorities, school, grandma and grandpa....so if it's something he really thinks is cool, or really wants to do, then shouldn't he be principalled enough to do it openly? talk with him about the qualities he admires in people. Is someone being "genunine" one of the things he admires? IF so, he isn't being very admirable by being so deceptive. If he's so set on doing this, why not light up in front of grnadma? If he wouldn't do that, thenshould he really do it at all? It's a big world of choices out there and only he can choose for himself ultimately, but he should consider how he feels about living a lie...that and what antionette said about girls...that may pack some punch...

good luck