Teenage stepdaughter...

kevin0905

Jun 1, 2012
Some people say i make too much of a fuss over my 15 year old stepdaughter. When I cook dinner for my wife i serve both of them. sometimes the dinners will be different for example I will make chili dogs for my daughter and a hamburger for my wife. She goes to the store with me quite often and i sometimes will buy her candy. we play games together on the computer and if i don't have 100 percent attention on her sometimes she gets mad. the problem she has 2 older brothers and i dont give them the same attention. i believe in making my wife and daughter feel like they are queens and I fuss over them as much as i can. Am i wrong for doing this and is she too old for this kind of attention

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
There's nothing wrong with that. I wish my step dad had been that way. The only problem is that you need to be fair with your other kids, or they will come to resent you. Try to give the boys some attention and whatnot as well. Try not to play favorites so much, it can be hurtful even if they don't say anything. Otherwise the things you are doing sound sweet.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
If she is 15, then the older brothers are probably too old to care. I don't know of many 16 and 17 year-old boys (or adults) who think their stepdad needs to pay more attention to them.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think you might not be totally wrong, but I also think that it could be a very big mistake to automatically assume just based on age that a boy wouldn't be interested in positive attention from their father figure.

kevin0905

Jun 1, 2012
its that sometimes i feel that its not appreciated, I want her to understand on how a woman should be treated cared for and fussed over. found out she is trying to pursue the "bad boy" in the neighborhood. He is 19. Not sure on how to handle it. we told her to stop calling him but all she did was change his name to something else on her phone book. Sometimes i just want to give up and not pay extra attention but i feel this will have a negative effect on her.

kevin0905

Jun 1, 2012
my sons dont seem to mind too much the extra attention i give her. Their mom seems to mind more. I try to get them to understand about paying extra attention to the woman in their life. they understand and know their little sister isnt little anymore. times have changed so much since we were that age or i just wasnt subjected to this back then

kevin0905

Jun 1, 2012
i got a hold of her cellphone a week ago and found alot of texting that was very inappropriate. She said that when this started she stopped texting him. This is the 19 year old. she was also trying to call him late at night. I have talked to him and he says that he will back off. he is a friend of my older son that is 18. I dont believe him and dont know what to do. Mother is very calm about daughter making good decisions. Daughter has great future ahead of her if she concentrates on that and not so much on boys.