Teens and credit cards...

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I wanted to get some input from the various parents of teens on the use of credit cards. This coming summer, my oldest daughter will be 18 and will have graduated high school.

As a graduation gift she will be going on vacation to Australia and New Zealand where I have family. To make travel a little easier and provide a somewhat safe alternative to carrying cash, I am thinking of encouraging her to get a credit card. Although she has been very responsible in her studies and personal life, she still has the occasional teenage moment when the new jeans were more important than gas for the car. She has been working and saves nearly 50% of every paycheck. She will be heading to college in August so having some emergency spending capability may be important (pizza is not an emergency).

Looking forward to the various opinions.....

Gavin

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think most teens are not ready, it is hard even ad an adult to resist those temptation purchases.

As an alternative i would go with a pre-paid card. Once its gone, its gone and there is no worry of debt. I have told my kids they are free to try and get one...once they are on thier own and paying for everything themselves.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
At 18, if she wants to get one she can go and get one from the bank herself (Dita turns 18 in 2 months, and she's already getting the letters from her bank going "CREDIT CARDS INTEREST FREE FOR THE FIRST 6 MONTHS" "DID YOU KNOW THAT IN TWO MONTHS YOU CAN APPLY FOR A HOME LOAN?" and so on.

However, I fully believe that credit cards are rarely a good idea. Especially when travelling overseas (Is it just me or does anyone else get into that 'play money' mindset with other currencies? Its just not what im used to seeing as real money) And believe me, Australian money looks like fake kids play money, HAHA.

As mom2many said, you have other options, visa/mastercard debit cards (if she's going to Australia/NZ id recommend getting only one of those two, things like American Express, Diners and such arent accepted everywhere and often when they are they have pretty hefty surcharges attatched, we accept AE at my shop and it holds a 10% surcharge) so there is a prepaid amount in there for her to use and budget with.

Alternatively, I have heard very good things about Travelex cards, you can even go online and monitor how her bank balance is going in case she gets into strife.

Edited to add: If you go with a card that isnt a specific travel card (eg: Travelex) make sure you inform the bank that she will be taking it overseas. When we went to Thailand 6 years ago we took two Mastercards, and we didnt tell the bank we were going, so their reaction to seeing these transactions in another country pop up was "STOLEN CARD! FREEZE ACCOUNTS!" and thank god MIL was able to go down to our bank and sort it out for us, otherwise we would have been in big trouble.

Last edited:

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
When ours have gone on holiday with school/friends etc if they weren't old enough for a credit card we just give them ours, but the oldest two both got one as soon as they were old enough.

They both buy most things on it (get airmiles and points as well) and pay it off at the end of the month, so they both have cracking credit ratings as well.

Before as well if they wanted to buy anything on the internet they would do it on our credit card and then pay us back, as it doesn't really matter if anything fraudulent happens on a credit card, but with a debit card you can be short of cash for quite a while.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
mom2many said:
I think most teens are not ready, it is hard even ad an adult to resist those temptation purchases.
Teens???????????????????

IMHO no way. Using credit to buy stuff is the opposite lessen you want your Daughter to learn. Remember this "The borrower is slave to the lender" Credit cards blurr the line between needs and wants. I would question the forum. How many of us have been burdened by debt? .

The lesson you want to teach is how to tell a need from a want, How to save for wants, How to budget.

I do understand your post. And its great seeing this post. Its one of my soapboxes. I just 4 months ago became dept free with the exception of my mortgage. My only bills are utilities, food, insurance and taxes. Whew. I paid off roughly 45k of debt. And I had never had a card until I bought my first house.. I am very proud of myself for slaying debt in my life.

We try to handle debt to increase our credit score so that we can get more debt. We pay debt with debt. We are fine with debt until something unexpected happens. Then our "planning" goes out the door. How often does something unexpected happen? At my house its like once or twice a month. Now when something unexpected happens I have an emergency fund. Like water off a ducks back

The prepay card sounds like a reasonable solution.

And Jeramey. My debit card will only allow you to spend so much in a day. Used to be $300 now I have changed it to $500. Which you can get around by calling and letting the bank know your using more on a day you need to. But my debit has the same protection my credit cards had.

Last edited:

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
The problem Bssage is that if someone spends $400 on your debit card you have to wait a fairly long time for that money to be re-funded, it also freezes the account so you cannot access any money from the account and this includes direct debits for bills, mortgages etc, if someone spends $400 on your credit card it doesn't matter as it doesn't effect you financially in the slightest, you normally just have a 14 day clearance and it is cleared by your credit card company.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Err, ive been the victim of credit card theft and it dosent work that way at all.

We didnt notice the missing $1600, taken out over a span of a week until we got the statement in the mail, I then had to try to prove a number of things
1. I didnt spend it
2. My husband didnt spend it
3. My children didnt steal my card and spend it
4. No other relative spent it

The interest just kept building and building and the cost got higher and higher as the police report progressed. A few months later the bank wiped the charge, but not after a LOT of snooping and a lot of hassle. I also didnt have access to the credit card for several months (which I subsequently cancelled after this event) and at the time several direct debits were coming out of it, which made finances tricky (and caused our phone line to be frozen, I forgot that came out of that card)

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
You can easily get another credit card (however direct debits are not allowed to come from credit cards in the UK), where as it is harder to get another bank account. All you actually need to do is state the case/transaction numbers, get a police case number (after you report the fraud), then it is your credit card companies responsibility to trace store CCTV or IP location of online purchases. The issue is most people don't know what to actually do as so it takes ages because they don't follow the correct steps, and of course a credit card company wont help you if you don't help yourself.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Were talking about three different countries here there may be subtle differences in how its handled. I think you are both right.

A year ago I had placed a charge on my visa credit/debit cardthat was out of the ordinary. Within 15 minutes my bank (small local bank) called to confirm I made the charge. I was like "wow"

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I really appreciate all the feedback on this topic. I have been debt free for 1 year (except for my mortgage) and love it so that is why I am concerned about encouraging my teen to get a card.

The challenge of what to do for her summer trip however presents an opportunity to educate her on the appropriate use of a credit card (don't spend beyond what you can pay off monthly). She is at an age now where I can still insist on seeing the bill and monitor what she is doing. I would be concerned about her getting out into the world, never having had the education or experience of managing a credit card.

The prepaid card seems like a reasonable middle ground position but I wonder if that will help build her credit score.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
There are other ways to build a credit score that doesnt involve a credit card. Cell phone in their name, car insurance just name a few.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
bssage;Teens???????????????????

IMHO no way. Using credit to buy stuff is the opposite lessen you want your Daughter to learn. Remember this "The borrower is slave to the lender"
Well, God always knows what He is talking about. Yes, debt is bad, no question.

That said, I have had a credit card since my late teens, which I obtained on my own. 33 years now, same card. I have no debt and a 4% interest rate on that card, because during the market crash in '09, when the bank raised my rate along with everyone else's, I emailed the CEO and presented my case. I asked how many 33 year customers they could possibly have and why they should treat me well and restore my interest rate. He agreed and it was done the next day.

I've never been in debt over my head and have no debt now but mortgage debt (and will unload that soon). I haven't had a car payment since the 90's; we pay cash for cars a few years old in excellent condition.

All that said, not ALL teens are irresponsible with money and debt. Only those who have not been taught or who refused to listen.

Besides, an 18 year old is an adult and can do what he/she wants. All we can do is hope we have done our job. Most of us will find we really have done our job on a lot of issues, and not on a few.

Credit cards blurr the line between needs and wants. I would question the forum. How many of us have been burdened by debt? .
I think I had the advantage of being raised by Depression-era parents. Debt was just not an option when you are a mailman, making a few grand a year and raising a large family. Kids today are often raised by parents who have always felt entitled to everything they want, the moment they want it. During the last few years, I've watched family after family go into bankruptcy and lose their houses, all of whom had larger, fancier homes and drove nicer cars than we do.

One friend purchased a home in the same price range as our modest home - but she made 1/5 of our income and had FOUR kids, as a single Mom. She asked our advice; we told her she couldn't possibly do it. She did it anyway. She was in trouble in six months.

The lesson you want to teach is how to tell a need from a want, How to save for wants, How to budget.

I do understand your post. And its great seeing this post. Its one of my soapboxes. I just 4 months ago became dept free with the exception of my mortgage. My only bills are utilities, food, insurance and taxes. Whew. I paid off roughly 45k of debt. And I had never had a card until I bought my first house.. I am very proud of myself for slaying debt in my life.
Congratulations. Feels good, doesn't it. And you will be able to roll with things that come your way, unexpectedly. I had a recent emergency hospitalization for 6 days. Bill: $45,000 (!!!). Thankfully, we have good insurance but it was still $4000 out of pocket, due RIGHT NOW (or they send you to collection quickly these days, unlike the old days of our parents). Because we live modestly, no problem. We paid it right away.

We try to handle debt to increase our credit score so that we can get more debt.
I would like to say one thing about that. Yes, some do it to get more debt. Others, like me, run occasional short term debt (something I can pay off with cash, but let go a month or two) in order to maintain a very high credit score. That credit score is used today (illegally and wrongly, I believe, but that's another thread) for every purpose under the sun. If you are considered for a job, your credit score is checked and you could easily be dismissed as a contender for a low credit score. Your insurance amount is tied to your credit score (wrongly). We pay very low car insurance rates. This is why we maintain a high credit score instead of just get rid of the cards.

So you CAN do it the smart way and benefit yourself, but if temptation to spend is a problem for one (and we all have different temptations in our lives), then I agree that having no possiblity of borrowing is a good idea.

We pay debt with debt. We are fine with debt until something unexpected happens. Then our "planning" goes out the door. How often does something unexpected happen? At my house its like once or twice a month. Now when something unexpected happens I have an emergency fund. Like water off a ducks back
Right. Though it doesn't happen often here. But when it does, it's expensive! Both our old cars died a year ago and we had to buy two new (to us) cars in one month. You have to be ready for something like that.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
What I did when the kids got old enough to travel off was use their old bank account that I have tied into mine from when they were little. I made sure to remind them to take their bank/visa debit with them and if there was a problem they could call me. ( I can switch funds into their account from the computer in about 1 minute). For me, I liked knowing that if an emergency happened, we could take care of it, without worrying about them thinking it was just more money they had if they wanted it. In all their travels, 2 have called 1 time a piece. One for a hotel room on the drive home, and one for car trouble. They both paid it back to me without problems over time....as I am worse than the credit fairy. :D

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
mom2many said:
There are other ways to build a credit score that doesnt involve a credit card. Cell phone in their name, car insurance just name a few.
I saw a copy of my credit rating about a year ago when my beloved Jeep died, and me being a stubborn ass refusing to ever get a new car other than another 20-odd year old Jeep, which defeats the purpose, chose to have it restored which meant taking out another loan with the bank. And its fascinating what ends up on there.

Dont know if this is just an Australia thing, but dont let your library fines add up (I WISH DH told me about this, whats the use of being married to a head librarian if he dosent warn you that your library fines go on your credit score? :laugh:)

Utility bills, the TV we financed, health insurance, a place I rented in the late 80's, its a bit weird to see your adult life laid out infront of you in the form of things you have paid/borrowed/owed.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
GavinH said:
I really appreciate all the feedback on this topic. I have been debt free for 1 year (except for my mortgage) and love it so that is why I am concerned about encouraging my teen to get a card. great feeling Isnt it? Did you use Dave Ramsy "baby steps"? Thats what I did and it worked for me.

The challenge of what to do for her summer trip however presents an opportunity to educate her on the appropriate use of a credit card (don't spend beyond what you can pay off monthly). She is at an age now where I can still insist on seeing the bill and monitor what she is doing. I would be concerned about her getting out into the world, never having had the education or experience of managing a credit card. IMHO there is no "appropriate use" Its borrowed money plain and simple. Its also borrowed money used for "wants"

The prepaid card seems like a reasonable middle ground position but I wonder if that will help build her credit score.
Prepaid card may be a tool to teach her to budget her money. And you can still add if needed. Using debt as a tool to be able to get more debt seems counter productive. IMO

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
The thing about teaching, is that you kind of have to give the responsibility before you'll know how she'll handle it. Sort of like you never know if your kid can cross the street safely until you let them do it...so I'm in favor of letting her use credit, and monitoring it. There was a good point made that she probably can get it on her own, so doing with with you is probably a little more monitorable.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Testing that is really great that you are able to do those things. I respectfully submit that you are the exception, rather than the rule. That most do not fair as well and those who don't are are specifically targeted by lending institutions as a profit center.

IA the difference is sometimes it is necessary for a kid to cross the street. Credit for kids is not.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
bssage said:
Testing that is really great that you are able to do those things. I respectfully submit that you are the exception, rather than the rule. That most do not fair as well and those who don't are are specifically targeted by lending institutions as a profit center.

IA the difference is sometimes it is necessary for a kid to cross the street. Credit for kids is not.
respectfully disagree - building and maintaining credit is an extremely useful life skill, if we want them to be able to own a home(heck even rent a decent home these days), get decent insurance, not be limited in their career choices then they have to learn to use credit appropriately. We teach them other life skills, why should we shy away on this one? Also, as has already been mentioned, it's not a kid, this kid is an adult, so Testings choice seems to be "help them learn" or "cut them loose." The first seems more responsible.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
IADad said:
respectfully disagree - building and maintaining credit is an extremely useful life skill, if we want them to be able to own a home(heck even rent a decent home these days), get decent insurance, not be limited in their career choices then they have to learn to use credit appropriately. We teach them other life skills, why should we shy away on this one? Also, as has already been mentioned, it's not a kid, this kid is an adult, so Testings choice seems to be "help them learn" or "cut them loose." The first seems more responsible.
My daughter cannot rent a house as she doesn't have a credit rating, so her house is just in her boyfriends name, she can't have her name on the utilities otherwise they would have to pay their utilities once a year based on estimation up front, she can't even get a mobile phone contract! Now she has got herself a credit card and is using it to buy everything and pay off, so in a few months she can be added to the rental contract, utilities etc so she can build her rating more.

My son however took out a student credit card the moment he turned 18, he bought everything on it and paid it off within a month each time to avoid any interest, he had no problem being approved to be a tenant, in getting the best deal where utilities are concerned or even getting something as simple as a mobile phone. As a result when he and his husband bought a house they found it really quite easy to be approved and for a good mortgage, having a deposit means nothing if you lack a credit rating, they had a 25% deposit but if they didn't have a decent credit rating they wouldn't be able to even rent a house never mind buy one!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Thats really quite strange to me, one of those times where I go "phew, im grateful to be living here" utilities you can have any payment option you want, regardless of no credit history or not (however, bankruptcy wont get you anywhere) but if you have no credit history they cant deny you, and you get to pick the payment period. Same goes for mobile phones, Dita's contract is in her name and she's 17, and has zero credit (well, now she has a mobile phone contract on there, but I dont think it counts until it rolls over when she turns 18)

Rental agencies dont look at your credit, I dont think theyre allowed to.

My niece also got approved for a $300,000 home loan a few months ago with a deposit only and not a single thing on her credit rating.