teeth brushing...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
How do I get my son to enjoy brushing his teeth? Every night it is a constant battle to brush his teeth. Any advice?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I just let Nichole brush her own teeth. She usually just chews the brush, then when she is done, I quickly go in and get them

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
How long does she let you brush her teeth?

When Oliver sees the toothbrush, he goes running in the other direction.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I just hand it to her and she chews on it for a minute or two with the toothpast on it, then I just take it, do a quick once over of all her teeth and then I call it a day. At this age it is more about getting in the habit of brushing twice a day tehn actually preventing cavities. Not that preventing cavities is a down side, definately a plus lol.
I would say no more then 10 seconds or so I scrub. Most of the time she is fine with me doing it, other times I have to hold her and make her open her mouth. But once I finish she is off on her way to do something else

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I just hand it to her and she chews on it for a minute or two with the toothpast on it, then I just take it, do a quick once over of all her teeth and then I call it a day. At this age it is more about getting in the habit of brushing twice a day tehn actually preventing cavities. Not that preventing cavities is a down side, definately a plus lol.
I would say no more then 10 seconds or so I scrub. Most of the time she is fine with me doing it, other times I have to hold her and make her open her mouth. But once I finish she is off on her way to do something else

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I tend to scrub quite a bit because I notice that he gets some nasty stuff on his teeth. Should I just let that go and leave it alone?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
see what it looks like after you let him chew on it himself. I go through tooth brushes about once a month with her because of it. But why make it a struggle? All I will accomplish that way is that she will HATE brushing her teeth.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Take him to the store and let him pick out his own toothbrush. There are some really cute ones now with characters, etc.. Is he really into a certain character or TV show? Having a special toothbrush can make a world of difference.

Another thing that helped with my kids was to brush my teeth beside them. We made a game of it, and they copied what I was modeling.

My kids also loved to watch themselves brush their teeth in the mirror.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Trina said:
Take him to the store and let him pick out his own toothbrush. There are some really cute ones now with characters, etc.. Is he really into a certain character or TV show? Having a special toothbrush can make a world of difference.

Another thing that helped with my kids was to brush my teeth beside them. We made a game of it, and they copied what I was modeling.

that's what we did with DD

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I let them have it in the bathtub and they thought that was fun. They brushed at every bath.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Trina said:

Great idea. My dd always gets to pick her own toothbrush and it is super-exciting for her.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
jrrsmom said:
When did you guys start your kids with brushing their teeth?
Newborn. I mean, I didn't "brush" her "teeth" but I would swipe her gums with a washcloth as part of morning and evening routine from the time she was a newborn. That way when it did transition into brushing teeth, it was no big deal.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I do that. My daughter has her 2 bottom teeth in and the only thing I can find is infant gum cleaner and she HATES the taste. I didn't think it was bad. I can get it once but if I don't get it good enough the first time forget about it. Or if she's paying attention she clenches her jaws like a pit bull.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I also started when she was a newborn but I was lazy and only did once a day or at baths, as she started to get teeth we started teh twice a day.

I really like Tom's natural toothpast (they have flouride free for little ones). Its a bit pricy but the bottle is so much bigger then those other kinds (gerber and the such) also the traditional ones have that nasty sugar substitute in them.
anyways you can order Toms on line or places like Central Market and Whole Foods sell them
http://www.tomsofmaine.com/

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I believe there was someone else on here ( a rugualr) that also used it. Can't remember who. As I said it is a bit pricier but its a much bigger bottle. They have it with flouride as well for older children if you choose to go that route