Temporary Hair Streaks...

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Ok, so here we are on March Break....totally evident by the Chair/Blanket Fort in the living room.

I'm on holidays until next Sunday, as well the Munchkin is off school.

So, she was asking about a colored streak in her hair....I'm ok with it, but would prefer it just temporary.

I've heard about using Jello....how exactly do I do it?

(or is there a better plan?)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
you can use jello or kool-aid and just mix in cup or so of water and put her hair in it. You can also buy temporary hair colors like that but the jello would probably be the cheapest way

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
depends on how dark you want her streaks...lol I've done it a few times and we usually just add until we get the color we want. Also some colors will use less and some will need more so just play with it a bit until you like what you see

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Definitely....although she's asking to dye all her hair, and I said she could have a streak, but then I found her Pink Hallowe'en wig, she wore it for about 5 mins, and decided as she put it:

"I think I'll just wear my own hair"

So I think it's temporarily on hold.

I will take pics if we try anything :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
meow_173 said:
Definatly use the temp hair colour. it washes out in like two washes. You can get it at walmart or shoppers.
my daughter's hair is kinda light, it takes about a 2 weeks to get it out completely when we try the store bought stuff (the ones we've used are like a pastey gel stuff) :p we did black (this one was a spray) for halloween and she looked like a different kid for quite a while afterwards. I've never used jello but we use kool aid and it only takes a wash or two depending on the color

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
fallon said:
my daughter's hair is kinda light, it takes about a 2 weeks to get it out completely when we try the store bought stuff (the ones we've used are like a pastey gel stuff) :p we did black (this one was a spray) for halloween and she looked like a different kid for quite a while afterwards. I've never used jello but we use kool aid and it only takes a wash or two depending on the color

that reminded me: depending on the hair ?type? and what is used - he may definitely only want to try the kool-aid or jello so it would wash out pretty quick. if the little one goes back to school w/her hair died pink then she could end up in trouble. some schools tend to frown on that sort of stuff and don't even allow the streaks or anything in hair, even the little kids' hair.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
16th ave. said:
that reminded me: depending on the hair ?type? and what is used - he may definitely only want to try the kool-aid or jello so it would wash out pretty quick. if the little one goes back to school w/her hair died pink then she could end up in trouble. some schools tend to frown on that sort of stuff and don't even allow the streaks or anything in hair, even the little kids' hair.
I certainly don't want it to last for weeks on end, but K's school is very tolerant to any hairstyle/color.

Tons of the other kids have streaks or full dyes.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I've recently been through this with my DD. I won't allow her to color her hair at this young age, even temporarily, but that's because I *know* my daughter. That would just be the start of a slippery slope with her. If you give her an inch she'll take a foot. Also, one of her school friends started with temporary hair color and has progressed to bleach blonde chunky highlights, makeup and other things I think are inappropriate for a 10 year old girl. I have chosen not to go there. LOL!

That said, I know girls like to do these girly things, so as an alternative, I let her use her allowance $ to buy a colored, fake hair clip. She picked out a royal blue one at the salon and paid $10 for it. Yikes! She is happy with that and can put it in her hair or take it out easily whenever the mood strikes.