The bad tantrums- should I let Mom take over?...

six50joe

Oct 12, 2012
I leave for work early in the morning (when it's dark), and get home when it's dark. I regret not being able to spend weekdays with our 22 month old girl, but my wife and I agreed that I should be the breadwinner in our early child rearing years. Most evenings I'm tired when I get home, but I insisted I want to take over and bathe our daughter, and handle her bedtime routine. I'm always worried that I will become the stranger to her that only appears on the weekends. As it is, she's more comfortable around Mommy, and on some days she just turns me away. This doesn't bother me; I don't get "hurt feelings" or anything; I know she's a toddler.
There are some nights though, like one this week where she gets so upset that she will cry and struggle intensely throughout the bedtime routine. Trying to get her diaper on is so difficult I need to forcefully pin her down while she's fighting me. It's almost as if she's being violated. This makes the job tougher, but I know I'm just getting her ready for bed. Amid the persistent struggle and wailing, at any time I can cry uncle and Mommy will take over- but so far I follow through, and she does finally calm down while reading her bedtime story. My question is- on nights like these, is my persistence a good thing, or could it be harmful to her development and/or her relationship with me?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think your OK with what you are doing. I had always gently pinned there arms when diaper changing just to keep thier little hands out of the HAZMAT.

Bedtime struggles are very common.

I still have a transisition period when I return home with my daughter. I like to say she "ices" me out. I can generally snap her out of it with hugs, kisses and tickles.

six50joe

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks bssage. Most nights my daughter is an angel and likes her bedtime routine. I just wanted to be sure that I don't start becoming the ogre in her life on the nights she protests. Funny thing is, she never gets that way when Mommy is not in the house. It's when she know she's there that it sometimes happens.

deasy

Nov 6, 2011
@six50joe,
Please,all is well but what you need to do now is to play your own part in her life as she develop.
I mean as she's grow you have to make her comfortable around you seems you are her father.She needs both of you well she's growing up,male and a female figure.
And please,forcefully pining her down to change her diapers?...what message her you sending to her?
What will she see/think about you when you are trying to get close?
She needs you as well not only are mum.
Please,you will have to create a time to be with you daughter often,you need to lay a solid foundation of discipline seems she's still young...she will needs you.

Neway

PF Regular
Oct 19, 2012
Australia
I've had to pin a few down to get them dressed in my time too ;) it's suprising how a child so little can be so strong sometimes isn't it? I think you'll find that it's nothing more than your daughter associating you getting her dressed with having to go to bed and I'm sure that she's getting lots of kisses and cuddles from you after!!!! As for harming her development/relationship with you, I think it would take a lot more than that! My nearly 3yo would not let dad do anything for him for the longest time without a screaming fit, now when dad's home, I'm pushed away with a "No, Daddy do it!", they're confusing little creatures lol.

Good on you for being such a hands on dad, it's great to see.

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
Pinning her down will not have any long term affects on her. Eventually she will get used to you and the new routine. The important part is consistancy. Keep up the good work

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
Hard one this as I must admit i often let Charlotte (my wife) take over. However we learnt after our first two that pushing the issue off onto your better half never works in the long run, With Sam our first I started to loose my ability to dscipline because he saw me as the 'easy way out'. He started to play up a lot more with me. I am glad to say now he is going on 18 we have a good relationship. Our younger two still occasionally play up but i learnt to activly help Charlotte with Tantrum issues now we rarely have them from any of our kids we do however have teenage strops from Callum and Sam our eldest boys.

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That's pretty much my experience with kids too. Resisting bedtime is normal. Having a consistent routine seemed to help mine a little, but no one really wants to go to bed. There's always some degree of protest, even when they can't keep their eyes open. Don't take it personally!

And please,forcefully pining her down to change her diapers?...what message her you sending to her?
You're saying, "I know you want to keep playing, but if you leave this soiled diaper on, you are going to get a rash and possibly a skin infection." You've just got to do what you've got to do. Mine didn't stop fighting diaper changes until they were potty trained. (And I didn't have any help from Daddy, so it wasn't a matter of parental preference. He said if I wanted to cloth diaper, I was on my own!)

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
There are times when either I or mom has had to ask the other for help. Its usually when one of us is so mad we just want to smack the bejesus out of the little terror. So, instead of hauling off and smacking her, mom and I will tag team. The kid can't outlast both of us.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have to pin my 3 year old down all the time - diaper changes, getting dressed, brushing teeth, brushing hair (until her sister cut it off!) Just keep doing what you're doing!

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
csdax. pinning the tot down for teeth brushing is a safety issue. My 5 y/o, in the blink of an eye, had a fit while brushing once. We decided to not pin her down and she took off running, with the tooth brush still in her mouth. Luckly she did not impale herself

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
IDK. I haven't responded yet because I'm obviously outvoted, but I feel very uncomfortable with a parent pinning down a child. Not sure why. I'll have to think about it more. It just doesn't feel right to me...

deasy

Nov 6, 2011
csdax said:
I have to pin my 3 year old down all the time - diaper changes, getting dressed, brushing teeth, brushing hair
<LEFT>

Please,this pinning down of thing...isn't there a better of way of letting the kids know,we wanna change or get em' dressed,brush there teeth/hair...i mean this will help instead of Pininng or forcing?
I believe this should be part of their up bringing...Any idea/answer/guide/steps?
</LEFT>