The hardest thing... :(...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
For me as a parent is telling my children that their animal has died.

Three days ago Samantha's rabbit died. He was old and it looked peaceful, like he laid his head down and went to sleep.

Today I was woke up by the hubby saying "get up, it's important." He knows I wake up slow so he repeated it. I get up and he says let's go outside. I can't find my shoes cause without coffee my brain is extra slow. Then he says "Spy is dying" Who needs shoes, I just go outside.

Some of you might remember that it's one of my dogs pups that we gave Vanna for her b-day.

This brought back so many memories of what happened to Fatso. I know Spy was fine at about 1:30 am. Him and his brother were up barking, his bark is very distinct, no question that it was him.

So now what the hell do I do? Do I wake her up? his brain is gone, but his body is holding on. Do I let her sleep, then tell her? I ended up waking up Megan. She is our emotional child so I asked her what she would have wanted. She said wake her up, she needs to say goodbye.

Hot damn, I felt like my heart was ripping out my chest. She said goodbye, she gave him a kiss then she cried until there were not more tears.

He was 8 months old, and now I just hope whatever it was doesn't happen to the 3 other pups.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Quick update...he is not dead. He was in the whole ready to be buried, but I am a little paranoid and have always held off for a couple of hours. Well Megan went outside and he was out of the hole. He was "walking". He is VERY unstable, a extreme drunk is the way to describe it, but he is eating and drinking.

I called the only emergency vet place I could find, they are a few hours away and they (The doc) mainly thought maybe it was a prank call..I can't blame them..the obvious answer is bring him in. I can't, so they said to treat him the same way I did when he had Parvo, they thought maybe that but he already had it.

After some research I am leaning towards a seizure, he is lethargic but if we call his name he 'sits' up and looks at us.

WTH? My kids always thought I was crazy cause I wouldn't completely bury and animal. Well I am not crazy! Vanna is very happy, but she does understand that this doesn't mean a happy ending. I sure as hell hope so!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
OMG he's not dead?!!? Wow, well that is great news! :) Sorry you had to go through that, though.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I did the front page article on this story, and he is doing great. No side effects of any kind and back to terrorizing us :)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Now your gonna have to buy Purina freeze dried brains. Or its gonna be trouble at the M2M house.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Mom2all said:
We talked about your dog at dinner the other night. Have you ever read the book <I>Pet Cemetery</I> by Stephen King?:wideeyed:

I have read it and watched it lol....my older kids said the same thing. Sadly we have a bit of a cemetery going on out here. I even have a few animals that aren't mine buried out here.

None of the other dogs got sick, so whatever it was it was a fluke. One I never hope to go through again!

mom2kkkb

Aug 18, 2012
Texas
I am so glad your story has a happy ending! Unfortunately, ours does not. A week ago today, our 2 1/2 year old lab took off chasing a stray cat while she was with my girls visiting their dad and was killed instantly when she was hit by a truck. This has been the biggest loss my kids have gone through and my heart breaks. It has been a really tough week.