The Highly anxious child...

szerba74

Feb 26, 2011
Utah
Well,

I've alway kind of known my child had issues. It started out with little lies and those lies continued. They were avoidence lies so he wouldn't get in trouble. He was a lot quieter then my other kids though very smart. I really thought or maybe it was just a hope of mine that he would grow out of some of this. Well entering his 6 grade year. He was still having a hard time making friends. The counslers at school advised me that to help him out they had him playing with the kindergarners and though It gave him some social activity I as a parent was very conserned about a 11 year old kid that should be going in to Jr High next year playing with the kindergarters. My husband was also very conserned.

He was also calling home from school alot complaining about being sick. Which as soon as we got him home he would be just fine. And we learned to not come rushing to get him everytime he called told him to stick it out.

Well things just got worse and My son told me that he didn't want to live anymore that he was having thoughts of killing himself.

I went in the next time he called home and talked to the counsler about the issues and she had me take him up to Primary Childrens hospital for evaluation.

I was very disapointed when they told me that they thought I should start him on medication and get him into a counsler because I didn't feel that I could watch him 24/7. and his axietys were still there.

With a little push we got him admitted up to UNI for a week. That's all the insurance would alow as they said they felt he wasn't a threat to himself or others.

The next two weeks after we got him home I can only describe as Hell. School couldn't handle him. As he was having major panic attacks and spending little time in class. And then in week 2 on the way to the counlers office he stopped in to the the room where they have all the office supplys and they caught him trying to cut off his arm with the paper cutter. When I asked him why he did this he said. I was trying to make the pain stop.

So back to UNI he was admited for another week. Well we have him back home now and his public school wont take him back. They want me to put him on Home hospital. And if he does go back to school put him in special ed for Emotional issues. I'm not sure that is where I want him to be. He's too smart for Special ed. Home schooling has been a thought.

Not only am I dealing with what to do with him but I have his bio dad on my case saying this is all my fault which I know it isn't. And how he should come live with him. I have 4 other children that don't have these issues. All I know is his issues are having there toll on them as well. He is the middle child of 5 kids all from the same dad I've been remarried almost 5 years now. And my son doen't want to go live with dad as I've talked to him about this as an option.

If you guys have any advice for me I'm so willing to consider anything at this point.

Sherry

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
This young man is crying out for help in a major way. You need to get him to a child psychologist as soon as possible. Not just any counselor, but a real therapist...there's major differences. Also, I would definately support the idea of home schooling as it seems that he needs eyes on him 24 hours a day.

getxtina

Mar 8, 2011
I highly recommend therapy. Your child must be in an environment that promotes growth and love. Sometimes it takes time for children to seek help and I had to commend you for being the loving mother you are. Ive recently been reading about this guide here: helpfortroubledteens411.com/turning-winds-review-help-for-parents-of-struggling-teens.html - and fervently hope that these kids will eventually find the time to seek internal growth among themselves. I really hope your son will see how your love brought him to this world. Therapy does help but sometimes it helps more if it was voluntarily sought. My prayers to you.