The Innauguration...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
texas has been lucky. reports have shown we haven't really felt a whole lot of what the rest of the country has.then there's some reports have shown that we're in better shape than most everyone else. don't know if that's true or not.
but it is definitely beginning to be felt.. ...

we were lucky about the oil prices and all even with hurricane Ike this past year ...but it did still get over 3 bucks a gallon down here, almost hit four and may have in some areas..

dan dawg

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2009
fallon said:
this is actually more of a state issue but hopefully something will change soon. Living in MI is getting harder and harder all the time

I am guessing MI is hit hard due to the automakers being laid off. We have the same issue here around here. We have GM's assembly plant next door.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I watched.

regardless of wether or not you like his politics. I think he is one of the greatist speakers I have ever heard. (Nerd Elert!) I love a really good speach and I believe his is the best live speach I have ever heard.

Another aside to the Politics. I kept thinking about how boring that must have been for the kids to sit thru the whole thing. And cold for all of them. Last but not least. how would you like to be his wife in those heels all day including the parade and dance at night.

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
I didn't watch - was working. I did read the speech in the afternoon paper and watched it on youtube later that night. It was a very good speech, nothing like his DNC speech a few years back or his "yes we can" speech.

But, those had a different purpose. They were meant to excite people. This speech was meant to play down that excitement. He has these lofty expectations to live up to and it's reasonable he communicates the seriousness of the situation before he gets to work. It won't be as easy as "yes, we can" more like "yes, we can, but it will take three years and 5 trillion dollars, and some serious financial hardship, blah blah blah...".

I have a lot of hope for this guy... but I would like for the Obamamania to end so that he can get to work without the media circus.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
dan dawg said:
Not to sound rude, I am more interested in going back to work or just finding a job in this economy. I want to know what he's going to do about that and the soaring unemployment rate here in America.
You weren't being rude, it was just a simple thought i had after seeing it on the tv. but i totally understand where you are coming from.

LilNiko

Jan 23, 2009
california
I watched. I hope the economy changes, more jobs become available, hope the banks and every other big company pays more attention to their spending and stop wasting money on luxury items.

Bssage, I did think about how tired the kids may have been by the end of the night. It was a long day. They did have fun at the white house from what I heard. Little scavenger hunt and the Jonas Brothers.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
jayman said:
This speech was meant to play down that excitement.
I didn't get that out of it. I got that it was more of a rallying of the people, trying to get them prepared for the difficult times ahead. It said to me that "Yes, we can," but it's going to ... uh...
"yes, we can, but it will take three years and 5 trillion dollars, and some serious financial hardship, blah blah blah..."
Right. Something along those lines. It's going to be a slog, but we'll get there with a commander in chief who is going to do the right things for the country.

Regardless of whether or not Rush Limbaugh wants him to fail or not. :arghh:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree zeit. Its not just rush though. Fox news is something else. I was watching after and its just blatant how Anti oboma they are.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I didn't watch it, I had promised my daughter we'd play a game together. I heard it was pretty great though, my husband said he watched it. I did catch a little bit of the innaugrual (this doesn't look right probably misspelled) ball though. By the way, I think Obama has the potential to be a great president and I hope he is.