the kid won't eat...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Logan doesn't like meat unless it's covered in Tomato sauce...no chicken at all, or veggies unless they are well hidden. Any advice on feeding a picky toddler? He won't even touch a hot dog (not that I'm sad about that). Unless there is fruit or bread involved he wants nothing to do with it :(

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I had that problem with Aaron, The kid wouldn't eat anything I put in front of him. I was to the point were I made 2 different meals every mealtime. Finally I quit doing that and made foods the rest of the family would eat and if he didn't eat he had to at least try it before getting down. I wouldn't let him starve...I would make foods he liked and foods he didn't so he would get some food in his stomache. Like he doesn't like corn but he does like chicken, he has to take 2 bites of corn before he gets more chicken. I don't know if I'm much help just know that you aren't alone. :D

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
thanks ladies...I guess I'll just get trying. He's thrieving for sure...lol at 15 months he is 30lbs and 33inches long

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
My son at that age wouldn't eat meat either. He would wolf down everything else we put in front of him, so to be honest, since he wasn't going hungry, we never forced him. But we always put some of it on his plate. Now at almost 3, there are still some meats he's not a fan of, but he will take a couple bites and some he loves. Whenever we have chicken, that's the first thing he eats off his plate now. So, basically, give it time, things can change.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
My 6 yr. old dd only liked chicken as far as meats go until about a year ago. She wouldn't touch a hamburger, until her sister said she was making a crabby patty (you know spongebob) and she thought she wanted one too. I understand being worried about it, cuz I always was too. I tried bribery and everything. One day I just decided she wasn't starving and she would get what she wanted and let it go. I think its just a stage they go through.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My daughter's tastes change it seems weekly. Another thing that has helped is she now helps me cook dinner each night and she is more apt to eat something that she made.

bbsparent

Jun 25, 2008
USA
At his age, it's probably just a stage and he'll begin to eat more items as he grows. If, however, he is a true picky eater, don't force him to eat things he doesn't want to eat as he gets older. I was and still am a picky eater. Most people can't understand it and I can't say that I even do understand it myself, but there are very few foods that I will eat - not that I haven't tried everything offered. I appreciate that my parents never forced me to eat things they knew I didn't like.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my parents never made me eat anything I didn't like either...but I'm a food lover. I love trying new things, eatting them and making them. A real picky eatter probably wouldn't do to well in my house but I would NEVER force a child to eat anything (well that's a lie...I insist my daughter finish the veegies on her plate)

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
Gavin (12 months) has been the same way lately. He used to eat ANYTHING, but lately it's just waffles, pancakes, and formula. He rarely eats anything else...most of everything I try to give him just ends up on the floor.

He's just going through a phase, and keep trying I suppose (that's what I keep telling myself)

sensoryintegrat

Jul 6, 2008
From my experience, kids eat when they're hungry. If he's hungry, then he'll eat. I wouldn't make it a point of preparing something special every time, but I also wouldn't suggest putting things in front of him that he doesn't like either.

In the case that he doesn't like a lot of things, you could require him to try a thank you bite. This means he only has to take one tiny bite of whatever the repulsive food is, and then he can be finished with it. This is a key way to expose kids to new things, which is important to help them become better eaters.

Good Luck!

Jessica
Home