the new healthcare, a few questions...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
forget how anyone has to pay for this stuff...
i barely understand any of what's in it so i'm pretty much clueless and the old man is too.
so, just exactly how is everyone supposed to get ?insurance? with this new health care plan? where are we supposed to go? who are we supposed to contact? how are we supposed to know that we're getting the best for what we can afford? who's going to let us know the where's and how's of it all?
what we do? should we just go on up to the dhs office and start trying to file for medicaid or should we start trying to file for health insurance?
and
what are ya'll doing as far as this is concerned?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
sorry dadu. don't mean to get one started. its why i didn't post my own opinons and just asked the questions that i've got.
if its here to stay its gotta be figured out so i think the sooner the better. we can't afford any surprises with this particular issue.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm with ya 16th...I really know very little about it. I don't particularly follow politics that much. Although with all the major changes happening I should probably pay a bit more attention than what I do.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
You as an adult wont have to have health insurance until 2014, the exchanges allowing all adults with pre-existing conditions to gain insurance will not open until then either.If you do not get health insurance in 2014 (if you don't qualify for medicaid) you will be fined 2.5% of your annual income annually until you do take out insurance. So basically at the minute you don't use the new system so your purchase your insurance as you normally do.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
When the government wants your money, they will let you know!

Plus at every election cycle it will be amended, so hurry up and wait :D

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
lol ec true.

i'm not in any hurry to give anyone my money. but i am in a hurry to find out if i'm stressed out or just plain sick.

jeremy, i got that stuff. but i got no clues to the questions i asked in the op.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well the new plan doesn't exist, so until they set it up no one can tell you how it will work or how you can contact anyone to change your insurance if you choose to do so.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Its a very complicated question to answer 16. Its a huge document and most people pretend they know what is included and how it effects the general public but very few do at this point. It wont take effect for awhile so there is no need to concern. No help in the near future if thats what you were asking.

I am attending a class tomorrow that will address some of it. If I can get my hands on the completed legislation I plan on reading it. That doesn't mean I will understand it.

Lets all hope it achieves the goal of affordable health care for all.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The big overhaul won't happen until 2014...I am sure by then we will know what needs to be done.

Some of the bill has changes that go into effect this month...

1. Children may now stay on their parents insurance until they are 26 (this is a life saver for me)

2. No more "pre-existing" conditions, for adults though it won't exsist until 2014.

3. All preventative care is free, vaccinces also.

4. They will also be prevented from placing lifetime caps on policies, or from dropping a patient's insurance if he or she gets sick.