The Questions......

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
When do they stop? DD is driving us nuts with the questions! We really never went through this with DS, probably because of his delayed speech issues associated with his deafness. He still asks questions, just not as non-stop as she does.
We try to always answer her and ask her questions back to make her think about it a bit, but it is maddening at times. Its gonna stop, right?!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol!! I don't know honestly. I'd like to know when Eli is going to stop responding to everything I say with "WHY?". :/

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
lol!! I don't know honestly. I'd like to know when Eli is going to stop responding to everything I say with "WHY?". :/
my kids never wen through much of a simple "why" stage, I think maybe it's because we challenged tham to think about a reason instaead of answering. Try that, insteqad of answering, ask him, "why do you think people need to wash ttheir hands?" or "What might be some reasons a cat purrs?" The stories they can come up with can be pretty interesting. Just be prepared to listen...sometimes, I'd rather have the questions than the stories.....

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
my kids never wen through much of a simple "why" stage, I think maybe it's because we challenged tham to think about a reason instaead of answering. Try that, insteqad of answering, ask him, "why do you think people need to wash ttheir hands?" or "What might be some reasons a cat purrs?" The stories they can come up with can be pretty interesting. Just be prepared to listen...sometimes, I'd rather have the questions than the stories.....
My niece was the queen of "whys?" oh lordy that girl could wear a person down. LOL

Mine never really did it either, sure we had a few here and there but nothing that made me want to pull my hair out.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No, it's more like "Eli, it's time to go to bed" "WHY!" "Eli, it's time to turn off your game" "WHY!!" "Eli, it's time to take a bath" "WHY!!!" lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
"Do you think I'd be a good mom if I let you stay up all night?" "Why do you think we need to sleep?" "What are some happy dreams you've had?"
or instead of announcing "time for bed" how about, if you go brush your teeth and put on jammies, we'll have time for a couple of books before bed...now hurry...." (deflection, get's them off the defensive.

Just trying to give some ideas - I'm by no means perfect, we had struggles last night and I lost it a little, so if I can help somebody else, maybe they can help me...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I kinda lay it on the line.

Because you behave badly in the mornings when your not rested.

Because you do poorly in school when your not rested.

Want to stay up later? Only after that has been corrected.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Those are good, IADad! I do always answer him, but I didn't think to answer like that. I usually say "because it's bed time and you need to go to sleep so that you aren't tired and have energy to play tomorrow", "because there are better things to do, like play with your toys", "because you need to get clean, you can't stay dirty". But I'm still sick of being ASKED. lol Plus, a lot of the time, he still follows my answers up with "why" again. I should try answering him with a question that makes you think like you suggested, maybe that at least wont land me with more whys. lol

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
Felix just wants to know everything lol a morning with him goes something like:

"What are you doing mummy?"
"I'm washing the dishes Felix"
"Why are you washing the dishes?"
"Because they are dirty and we don't want to eat from dirty plates"
what are you doing next?"
"im not sure felix, what would you like to do?"
"why mummy?"

etc. this conversation can go on and on and on for hours. he will just follow me around asking me what i am doing all day lol.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Antoinette said:
Felix just wants to know everything lol a morning with him goes something like:

"What are you doing mummy?"
"I'm washing the dishes Felix"
"Why are you washing the dishes?"
"Because they are dirty and we don't want to eat from dirty plates"
what are you doing next?"
"im not sure felix, what would you like to do?"
"why mummy?"

etc. this conversation can go on and on and on for hours. he will just follow me around asking me what i am doing all day lol.
LOL, this sums up my daughter perfectly. She's like a questioning shadow.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Haha Antoinette, Eli went through that stage too. What are you doing? What are you doing next? lol

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
IADad said:
"Do you think I'd be a good mom if I let you stay up all night?" "Why do you think we need to sleep?" "What are some happy dreams you've had?"
or instead of announcing "time for bed" how about, if you go brush your teeth and put on jammies, we'll have time for a couple of books before bed...now hurry...." (deflection, get's them off the defensive.

Just trying to give some ideas - I'm by no means perfect, we had struggles last night and I lost it a little, so if I can help somebody else, maybe they can help me...
Yeah those answers are good IADad I never thought of them either. lol

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
IADad said:

Yeah those answers are good IADad I never thought of them either. lol

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I do remember those days. lol I also remember the questions gettting harder, and even many I couldn't answer. lol

I took him to the Library and he learned the ... I can't believe I'm saying this ... "The Dewey Decimal System" because at that times we didn't own a computer, so we had to actually read from books. lol If he had a question we couldn't answer, (which he usually did after a while) lol we'd write it down and look it up at the Library.

It was cute because he discovered his own little book shelf there with all cool stuff like rocks, dinosaurs, universe, planet, preditor animals, cars, and that type of thing. lol it was fun.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Luca questions me like that Xero, "why?" I can't help it, sometimes I just stare at him with a blank expression on my face. And when I say it's time to get out of bed for school and he says "why?" I know it's bad, but I have said "who ever said there is no such thing as a dumb question is wrong" or "because I am the evilest, cruelest mom on the face of the planet for forcing her adorable, loving, and sweet son to get out of bed to go to school." Then he usually says, "no you're not! Your the best mom ever!" :)