The Rep System...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
This weekend I had a PM exchange with Sanjay about the abuses of the rep system that has been escalating for the past few weeks. One option Sanjay brought up was turning the rep system off.

I'm neutral, but leaning towards keeping it. I think the moms in parenting forums tend to like it.

Turning it off will reduce the mind games people have been playing with it, so that would be the reason I would be in favor of turning it off.

What do you think?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
This is the only site that I know that uses it, I like it, but maybe turning it off might be something to consider

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
either way is fine with me but personally I would just like to see people act like adults and not playing with it ya know

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
fallon said:
I would just like to see people act like adults and not playing with it ya know
I agree with this. My thinking is to stop the abuse and not take away something from everyone because just a couple of people. Maybe it would be best to turn the rep system off, but it should be because it would make the forum better.

Let's see how this week goes. I'm pretty confident Fooser got my point on Friday, but the week is still young. :) Musicmom probably will always remain unpredictable no matter what steps are taken to influence her to stay within the forum's boundaries.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
The one change I feel very strongly about is changing the neg rep to show who is giving you negative rep. Currently for regular members negative reps are completely anonymous.

That is the one part of the rep system that truly bothers me a great deal. If a parent is going to hand a bad rep to another parent , they need to do so face to face (so-to-speak). This allows other parents to know if one parent is hitting them every other day, or several different parents. It makes a huge difference if just one parent hands you a bad rep than several different parents. Anonymous bad reps tell a member nothing, and I think those who enjoy abusing the system hide behind the fact that is it anonymous and continue to whack the same person as often as the system allows.

Please state any good reasons to keep the system anonymous, because I want to make the switch ASAP if there is no objections. Thanks :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I had no idea it was that way...I though since I could see who was leaving good or bad rep so could everyone else

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Consider making a second account (ie Kaytee2,Fallon2) and logon. There are various things that are different for regular members. I strongly feel it is good\important to understand the regular member's perspective. As mods we can see and do things regular members can't, and they have no idea what we see. Deleted post is an example. We can still see deleted posts, but from a regular members perspective they don't exist or never existed. I'm <U>not</U> saying deleting posts is good, it just looks bad we view a thread, but it doesn't look bad from a regular account.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I have sent a request to Sanjay that the system be changed so all parents in the forum can see who has given them positive\negative reputation.

I believe it is only a select few who are abusing the system, and I think parents in the forum should know who's bashing them day after day.