the shape of civics...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
ya'll may want to move this.
Opinion: Colleges Get Failing Grades on Civics - AOL News
there's a mini test and a more complete version in the article.
don't really have a reason for putting it out there, mainly i thought this was interesting because it does concern education and our rights and duties as citizens and the shape of things concerning our kiddos and what they're learning and they should know.
did the mini test and got a score of 5 out of 7. pretty certain i missed the questions about "policy tool of the federal reserve" and the "fdr series of gov't programs".

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Interestingly, I got 6 out of 7 as well.

I should point out that I'm Canadian.

I don't know why the article is pointing the finger at universities. They tested incoming students, which reflects the preparation they get in the public education system. When re-tested as seniors, the only ones who would really have improved are those who studied such things in their classes. Science and engineering students for example are only likely to cover such topics in passing through elective classes - if they choose to take those at all.

Perhaps Robert Heinlien had it right and everyone should be required to take a History and Moral Philosophy class in their senior high school year. (Referring of course to <I>Starship Troopers</I> - the book, not the movie.)