This is what they are wanting to build where i live....

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Kamloops This Week - Gasification plant's emissions permit strictest in Kamloops

So i dunno, if you guys allow linking or not, but i thought i would add this and get some your feedback on it.

The Ministry of Environment Canada wants to build a "Creosote buring facility" in our city. This has never been tested anywhere else, and they are wanting to put it smack dab in the center of town.

Creosote is used in railway ties, and they are wanting to burn these railway ties at this facility. As you can see in the article, the MOE has a 10 year contract with Canadian Pacific Railway to do this.

Our city council opposed this plant 10 to 0. Yet the ministry still finds it necessary to go over the citys heads.

Whats all your thoughts on this!!! Am i insane to be worried about my childs health?????

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
IMHO

Sounds pretty safe. Gasification has been around since the 1800's and used as a fuel since the 1920's. It my understanding that I will be used as a reserve, or emergency energy resource for your city. The Wiki has a lot of info on the process. Also you will be using existing waste rather than fossil fuel.

So I agree and I disagree.

I agree the the governing body shouldn't just "pull rank" and go against the wishes of the majority.

But I disagree with the majority, who seem to be misinformed to the output of this proposed facility. I think if all available information was made public. there would be a majority in favor if the idea.

It appears to be a clean renewable source for energy. And since the intent is not to supply vast amounts of power. I think its footprint on the city would be negligible.

Am i insane to be worried about my childs health?????
Really two questions.

#1 yes you are insane.
#2 It's OK to worry about your child's health. But I think this is pretty standard stuff that I don't think will be a problem.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
bssage said:
Really two questions.

#1 yes you are insane.
#2 It's OK to worry about your child's health. But I think this is pretty standard stuff that I don't think will be a problem.
BAHAHA! Thanks bssage, i always new i was a little loopy :p haha. Yeh the problem is they haven't released a whole lot of information on it, and lots of people have looked at the products used in railway ties and found lots to be carsinogenic (sp). Thats why lots of people are appauled. I think the company wanting to build it needs to put on a seminar and educate the city about how this plant works....that would probably help,haha

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
its so hard cuz im on the fence about it. we already have a pulp mill in town that has been here for years, and they plan to put that gasification plant right on the same road as the pulpmill. and i live maybe 5 minutes away from it. i just want more information on it, and the company isnt releasing a whole heck of a lot

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
slightly off topic - but you need to find Ron White's standup bit on pulp mills, that's some funny stuff. Maybe it'd give you something to use in a meeting ;-)