This scares the living daylights out of me......

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
it si scary, but probably better to face proactively than trying to shelter her completely. This is the world they are growing up in,so we need to teach them to live in it.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
As much as I adore the internet, it can be quite intimidating. Since the time my son was very young, I've been participating in public forums. It was a learning process on what to disclose and what not to disclose, even as an adult. I don't like to have pictures of myself up, and with my son, I am reluctant to have current pictures of him on the internet.

Facebook is here to stay...and eventually, my son will have a page of his own. Right now, my husband has a page and my son and I use it. I have the password...son does not. He is only allowed to be on it if I am monitoring him. I feel it is a good way to teach him about what is ok and what is not. We only have friends and family on our 'friend' list, and the privacy is set to max. BUT, some of the older nieces and nephews still put up things that I wouldn't let my son put up. Nothing horrible, just a good chance to show my son that you should be careful about what you put out there for the world to read and see.

He also has an email account (under my business domain). His 'in' box sits on my computer. I see everything he gets before he does. The computer he uses is hooked into the living room TV, which makes me feel more comfortable as well. I want to make sure he is on the internet from a young age so I have lots of time to teach him what is ok and what is not. That way, when he has more access to it when he is older he can make good decisions. I hope anyhow!!!!

J.Cole

Oct 15, 2010
Kansas
stjohnjulie said:
As much as I adore the internet, it can be quite intimidating. Since the time my son was very young, I've been participating in public forums. It was a learning process on what to disclose and what not to disclose, even as an adult. I don't like to have pictures of myself up, and with my son, I am reluctant to have current pictures of him on the internet.

Facebook is here to stay...and eventually, my son will have a page of his own. Right now, my husband has a page and my son and I use it. I have the password...son does not. He is only allowed to be on it if I am monitoring him. I feel it is a good way to teach him about what is ok and what is not. We only have friends and family on our 'friend' list, and the privacy is set to max. BUT, some of the older nieces and nephews still put up things that I wouldn't let my son put up. Nothing horrible, just a good chance to show my son that you should be careful about what you put out there for the world to read and see.

He also has an email account (under my business domain). His 'in' box sits on my computer. I see everything he gets before he does. The computer he uses is hooked into the living room TV, which makes me feel more comfortable as well. I want to make sure he is on the internet from a young age so I have lots of time to teach him what is ok and what is not. That way, when he has more access to it when he is older he can make good decisions. I hope anyhow!!!!
We have guidelines like this in place as well. Mom can exercise the right to see whatever upon request. I feel like I am constantly talking to my 12yo about how her actions are constant reflection of her and making sure those are positive.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
tell her you've installed software that scrapes whatever is on her screen at random and emails it to grnadma.....LOL

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
It's scary. Max always knew more about computers than I did, so I had to learn fast. lol But when we first got one he had all his accounts under me as well.

One thing to remember is, when she goes to a friends home, you don't know what those kids are allowed to do on the computer, and if there are older sibling in that house, anything is possible.

As I found out :skeptical:

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
NancyM said:
One thing to remember is, when she goes to a friends home, you don't know what those kids are allowed to do on the computer, and if there are older sibling in that house, anything is possible.

As they would say here "True dat!" Right now, my guy doesn't really go to other people's houses that much, but we will have to work on that one. Thanks for reminding me to start with that end of the 'training'!

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
No matter how much we tell our kids what we expect from them, when they're with their friends they usually will go along with them.
That's what always scared me most.

mklwillm

Banned
Nov 18, 2010
Spending time on social netwoking sites take away time from more important activities kids must do such as reading and face to face social skills.

Mike

Satori

PF Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010
Australia
Looks like kids these days are squashed between parental control and peer pressure. It might ease up a little if they know for sure parents are on their side and do not actively plan to suck the joy out of their lives.

lewibnb

Jan 9, 2011
uk
My 2 oldest use facebook and it has caused so many problems for us as a family.
I truly truly wish that social networking sites were never invented!

mumdevoted

Banned
Jan 15, 2011
london
yeah I hear you I'm having a dilemma too...

I saw this phone whilst googling child safety products...

ibaby@benjisfones.co.uk

I'm a child minder and wanted some new bits for the children...I really liked this because it allows parents to get in touch with there child instantly...it has a load of other features too...
I understands its technology for 3 to i don't no say 10 year olds but I guess we all must move with the times...any ways let me no what you guys think great idea or to much too soon....x peace x

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
stjohnjulie said:
The computer he uses is hooked into the living room TV, which makes me feel more comfortable as well.
This is the best idea of all to be honest, just make sure the computer the kids use is in a well travelled area of the house.

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
lewibnb said:
My 2 oldest use facebook and it has caused so many problems for us as a family.
I truly truly wish that social networking sites were never invented!
Yah Im about two steps away from banning it here.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
The problem with things like facebook is that while the sorts of things that kids do on it are very similar to the types of things they do on the "playground" on facebook it is permanent.

I've seen so many tweens and teenagers say and do things that have haunted them for a few weeks until the next kid messes up, but on facebook, it can haunt them for years and in a much larger arena than the "playground."

It is scary, but not just because they are being tracked by companies.

szerba74

Feb 26, 2011
Utah
Now days facebook is very addictive I have 3 children with facebook accounts now and low and behold the one that uses it the most is my 15 year old daughter. Being social is a big part of being a teen now days. We have strict rules as well. Our kids know that in order to have a face book account we need there passwords and are able to get in to their accounts at any time. And we do check up on them. They know with this rule in place their facebook privilages can be revoked. It's worked well for us.