This scares the living daylights out of me......

Lexy

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
There is a fantastic safe alternative to Facebook. Send me a message & I'll get you the info. In time I will post this for every concerned parent.

emergencydentis

PF Regular
Jan 8, 2011
USA
J.Cole said:
Marketing Companies Track Children's Online Activity - ABC News

My 12yo just got a Facebook account (we have very strict rules that allow me to see her messages and what not anytime I want). Between this and school related work she spends a lot of time online!
It is good that you are monitoring her but please see to it that you are not invading her privacy. Well all have our times as teens. Do not go overprotective because this may rebellion and we dont' want that. Give her some space and let her have mistakes because we all learn from mistakes. The best that you can do is prevent her from making adult (and popular) mistakes. And lastly, don't forget to tell her you trust her.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm probably going to take a lot of heat for this, but I don't plan to allow my daughter any privacy when it comes to something like facebook. I'll let her think she has privacy, but I've been in assemblies where undercover police officers show how easily predators can manipulate tweens and teens. During the last one, just for teachers, the officer detailed how they had just caught a pedophile who showed up at the door of a 12 year old just around the corner from our school. It's scary. I'd rather sacrifice my daughter's privacy than wish I had.

iParent

Banned
Apr 2, 2011
Very scary Facebook story: its true!

Once upon a time, my (12 year old) son knew a very pretty girl (12 years old). Her parents were EXTREMELY PROTECTIVE of her. Those parents let her have a Facebook, but to them, she was the poker face, and was only allowed Facebook so she could play Farmville. Then, when my son got really mad at her, he posted photos of her, her full name, her phone number, and her HOME ADDRESS on her wall (which was empty). The family was extremely mad, had a security system installed in the house, and had given me a whole list of ways I should punish my son, (the list is to long to list of my memory), some of the list INCLUDED no electronics until he is 18, deactivating his Facebook, and Grounding him in his room on Weekends. The family seriously considered moving, and I still am not allowing him on his Facebook (it has been 6 weeks now). THE MORAL: never let your child have an open Facebook.

Domoviye

May 4, 2011
Nanjing China
I have a plan of action for when my daughter is old enough to get into real trouble on the net.
When she's about 10 or 11, I'm going to show her all the embarrassing (but not too gross or risque) things that people post on the net. I will explain that it will all be remembered and that her grandma, best friends, and future boyfriends will be able to find it far into the future.
Once that has sunk in she can use the computer with some privacy. Guidelines will be posted, and periodic check ups will occur, but I will let her have some privacy.
I hope that will work.

mlperryman

May 15, 2011
My children use Facebook to play the games on there. However, they have private profiles and I have the passwords so I can check them at anytime.

LovingMother07

May 28, 2011
Wow, scary. Just don't have her fill out any personal information and you should be okay, just supervise her when shes online