Thoughts on Co-sleeping...

CurtisGould

Sep 7, 2011
Hi all!
I am an undergraduate design major at Virginia Tech and am trying to get opinions on cosleeping. I have found studies that the number of parents who cosleep is increasing, but I know that cosleeping has some serious dangers (specifically suffocation) The questions I am looking for opinions on are.

If you do not currently cosleep, do you want to?

If you currently cosleep or have coslept in the past, what are/were your reasons?

What positive results of cosleeping do you see?

What risks do you believe are associated with cosleeping?

Would you be interested in cosleeping if there were not risks associated with it?

Everyone's insight would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you all!!! Thanks so much!

Curtis Gould

Approved by M2M

Last edited by a moderator:

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I started co-sleeping with my daughter when she was around 8 months plus or minus a month or two, not for parenting reasons so much as out of necessity sometimes and out of convenience other times.

One reason I currently cosleep, other than laziness on my part, is that my daughter has asthma, and when she is having breathing trouble, it is worst at night. I want her in the bed with me so that I can monitor if she is going into distress.

I did not cosleep often when she was an infant because I was afraid of the horror stories. I didn't believe it would happen with me because I wake up if a feather hits the ground, but when you have a child you become completely paranoid about any possibility of harming them.

I know there are many positive results of cosleeping, and they very well could outweigh the negative results, but as I do not cosleep for philosophical reasons, I have not really investigated it. I do, however, believe that it creates a level of dependence. That's a simple description of what I mean, but I don't know how to explain it other than that. My daughter is remarkably independent, so it's not that I'm fostering your typical clinging child by cosleeping, but considering she is an only child, she does not play alone as well as I would expect. She wants to be entertained by me more than I hope.

I will admit that on the rare times these days when my daughter does not sleep with me, I miss her, but I also wish that she would sleep in her own bed when she is not sick. As I've said, I sleep very lightly.

jessicams

PF Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2011
I do not co-sleep for a variety of reasons.
1. I have twins. Two babies in the bed would be insane.
2. Hubby and I are both very heavy sleepers and we both move a lot in our sleep.
3. I couldn't imagine attempting to have any intimacy with my husband with anyone else in the room, especially babies.
4. I don't want my children to need me to sleep. I didn't want to need to break that habit later on.

For some families, it might work and it might have some benefits but for me and my family, it doesn't work.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm definitely a fan of co-sleeping, and I do it with my kids. Well, ODS decided on his own at around 3 years old that he wanted to sleep in his own bed, so not so much him anymore unless he's sick or scared then sometimes he'll show up. ;) YDS is obviously still co-sleeping and will continue until he is ready to sleep in his own bed as well.

However, let me explain to you the difference between safe co-sleeping and bed sharing. Bed sharing has risks associated with it such as suffocation and entrapment etc, and you hear about accidents and whatnot due to this. Although let me clarify that most of these accidents happen when certain factors are involved - such as sleeping with baby on something other than the bed ie the couch or a recliner, being under the influence of anything ie drugs, alcohol, or cigerettes (smoking cigarettes cause a deeper, less aware sleep or so they say), using excessive pillows and blankets, or being very overweight (I'm not descriminating, they're just facts I didn't make up). A lot of times if you read one of those stories, at least one of these factors come into play. I was just watching a show the other day (idk Maury or something) with an overweight woman that was drunk sleeping on the couch with her baby and smothered him... Its funny (but not) that most of the factors I described came into play there. But yeah. So we all know what bedsharing is, obviously its having baby in bed with you, next to you, on you, whatever.

And THEN there is SAFE co-sleeping, which is actually highly reccomended by the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics -http://www.aap.org/). This is what I do with my YDS (though I am guilty of bedsharing with my ODS and on occasion with YDS, mainly I safely co-sleep). The main thing about safe co-sleeping is using the proper co-sleeping equipment. I use an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper (highly recommended by the AAP, Dr. Sears and more):

(not my exact one but you get it - mine's green haha)

And when I bed share, I do that safely as well with a snuggle nest:

The snuggle nest is pretty self explanatory, but the co-sleeper basically hooks up securely to the side of my bed and basically becomes a slightly lower PART of my bed, yet seperate. He's always right next to me, I can reach him or touch him at any time with no effort, and to him he's in bed with me. Its a really great little contraption. ;) Don't get me wrong though, like I said I am guilty of occasionally bedsharing unsafely, like if he needs to be cuddled or nursed back to sleep, I will just sleep holding him. However, I personally know myself and I would never do it intoxicated, I don't smoke, I'm not overweight (well I could stand to lose a few lol but you know), and all that jazz. I think before people co-sleep that they should know their facts and research it deeply and they should know THEMSELVES because I know myself personally that everything wakes me up. Baby sneezes and I'm awake looking at him. He never cries at night, I know he needs to eat when he starts squirming and going "eh eh eh" (no screaming baby in the middle of the night waiting for me to get to his room), we both sleep GREAT and are happy and comfortable, and I know my baby feels secure as do I.

When he is older, whenever he is too big for the co-sleeper (probably a little before or around a year old) then he will bedshare. At that point, most of the bedsharing risks like suffocation and other types of SIDS are lowered significantly (all of those risks are much lower at 6 months plus and become almost nonexistant as they get older from there, mostly due to increased strength and mobility). At that point it is fairly safe to bedshare as long as you are being safe about it, following along with those factors explained above, and again using proper equipment such as bed rails:

(not my bed just an example)

It is safer for a baby to be in the same room with their parents. It is recommended by the AAP to keep baby in your room for at least the first 6 months. Where there have been a lot of bedsharing accidents, the deaths caused by infants being put to sleep in a crib in an entirely seperate room FAR outweigh them. That's why they call SIDS "crib death". I am a huge believer too not only because we've always been happier this way but also because I have seen opportunities for things to go so wrong if my kids had been in a seperate room. For instance, once when ODS was sleeping next to me in bed he was in the middle of a sound sleep and he puked out of nowhere, not spit up but PUKED. He was laying on his back (I'm also a fan of tummy sleeping, but that's a different topic for another day) and he completely choked on it, it went right down his throat and up his nose. Thankfully I was right next to him and I was able to snatch him up right away and turn him over and pat him etc to clear it out. It was AWFUL, it sounded like he was DROWNING. I sincerely believe that things could have been a lot worse if he was down the hall in a crib, I don't even know if it would have been a loud enough sound over the monitor for me to know something was wrong. All I could think was thank goodness I never listened to all those prudes talking down on me for letting baby sleep in my bed!! I am so happy to be able to see and hear every little thing my baby does at night - he is safe this way!! IMO!!

And I personally do not mind my children needing or wanting me to help them get to sleep. Its only natural in my opinion that babies do not know how to self soothe without help and they want to feel close and safe to mom when falling asleep. You can help them with it now and they do learn for themselves in good time, I promise! My four year old is proof of that. I held or rocked him until he was about 13 months old, and then we just layed next to him until he was about 2.5 and then just put him in our bed until we were ready to join him. Then when he was around three he got sick of us and decided he was a big boy and liked his big boy bed better.

As far as intimacy, that's completely possible as well! LO's co-sleeper has wheels and we silently pull up the side (it turns into a free standing bassinett) and gently roll it into his own room until we are ready to have him back. Easy peasy!

As for positive results that I have seen due to co-sleeping, well there are many. I feel as though I have a more confident, secure and content baby. He knows I'm always there and goes to sleep without a fight and wakes up to eat without histerics. He is almost sleeping through the night, usually a 6-7 hour stretch first, followed by another 4-5 hour stretch, with exceptions here and there, considering growth spurts and what have you. Just basically his sleeping habbits are amazing, and I never had to make him cry or anything to get him there. ODS is a very independent kid, sleeps in his own bed every night without any arguments or insecurities, and he has amazing sleep habbits as well. He's not clingy, I take him to school 3 days a week and I can barely get a hug and kiss out of him when I leave. He complains on days he doesn't get to go haha. I just think that co-sleeping is a big part of (not the sole reason but a big part) creating happy, healthy, confident, and secure independent kids. I know a lot of people will disagree with me and that's fine. To each their own. This is just what I believe in strongly for my own kids. I'm sure all the non-co-sleeping kids will grow up just fine and happy as well, so I'm not bashing. I just believe in my ways strongly. :)

One of the main things people need to realize about co-sleeping as far as the "risks" go are that the statistics are as many and actually higher of kids dying or getting injured in a crib in a seperate room than they are while co-sleeping. There is nothing more risk-taking about co-sleeping than crib sleeping. A lot of people have this misconception, but it simply isn't true.

So all in all, I believe in co-sleeping and I think it is best for babies if done safely and properly, and I personally feel it is also best for myself. If anyone is considering doing it I would only recommend they do so if they research it properly first, and it be sure to do it safely as often as possible. Also to KNOW themselves, and their family and whether or not it will work for them. I am aware that it cannot work for some people and I respect that.

Soooo sorry for the book. :eek: This is one of my main topics of interest.

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Jeeze Zero LOL that is one heck of a post!

I bed share, I have bed shared with all of mine. I did it 20 years ago more out of need then anything, mine were 11 months apart and I was doing it on my own. I found it much easier to roll over and deal with one and then roll over and deal with the other then getting up and having no sleep at night. I am not a put the baby on a schedule kinda mom, nor do I believe in CIO, so that was what allowed me the most sleep at night.

There was also an incident that led me to continue to bed share when I was going to stop the habit and that was the 91 earthquake in California. It happen the first and only time I tried to put one of my kids in their beds...it probably scarred me a little.

Today I continue to do because it let's me get the most sleep...see the pattern LOL Obviously it hasn't hurt intimacy....I have 8 kids ;) it just requires some creativity.

My kids have always been comfortable coming to me in the middle of the night, and most of the time move on to their own beds well within a normal time frame. My teens no longer sleep with me but I have woken up to them sleeping near me only to learn that they weren't feeling good.

My husband supports it, we don't sleep in the same room, I know that sounds weird but we have different schedules and I....how to but this, make a strange sound in my sleep, it's not a snore though and I like to sleep on the floor, have all of my life and can not sleep in a bed...so on occasion one of the younger ones will sleep with him. Plus that man throws off way to much body heat!

Really babies are meant to sleep with their parents not be thrown in a lonely crib all by themselves. We carry them for nine months under our heart and then when they enter the world we just put them all alone, doesn't seem right to me.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
mom2many said:
Really babies are meant to sleep with their parents not be thrown in a lonely crib all by themselves. We carry them for nine months under our heart and then when they enter the world we just put them all alone, doesn't seem right to me.
You're speakin my heart here, M2M. :)

Yeah it was long I know LOL!

About the earthquake thing, that reminds me of another incident that led me to continue co-sleeping with ODS (there were a few times I was pressured into trying to get him to sleep in his own crib, its crazy how die hard some people are in that belief). When he was about a year old he was in his own crib the one night and the upstairs neighbor's water tank (above his room) broke and it filled his ceiling up with water, and by horrible coincidence the ceiling gave way DIRECTLY over his crib and all of the drywall and the huge amount of water came crashing all over him. My stomach is in knots just remembering the sound of his scream. Thank goodness he was perfectly fine, but it was still horrible and I never gave into anybody's pushiness on the topic again after that. The answer became clear to me.

Also, babies being put in a seperate room in a crib is mostly a western thing, a cultural thing and not "just the way it works" its INSANE how many people bed share and co-sleep in other countries compared to America. Its also a recent thing, something developed over the past 100 years or so. Before that it was only natural to have baby with you. Don't know what the world thinks has changed so drastically since then to make seperate room/crib sleeping so necessary? Who knows.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Xero said:
You're speakin my heart here, M2M. :)

Yeah it was long I know LOL!

About the earthquake thing, that reminds me of another incident that led me to continue co-sleeping with ODS (there were a few times I was pressured into trying to get him to sleep in his own crib, its crazy how die hard some people are in that belief). When he was about a year old he was in his own crib the one night and the upstairs neighbor's water tank (above his room) broke and it filled his ceiling up with water, and by horrible coincidence the ceiling gave way DIRECTLY over his crib and all of the drywall and the huge amount of water came crashing all over him. My stomach is in knots just remembering the sound of his scream. Thank goodness he was perfectly fine, but it was still horrible and I never gave into anybody's pushiness on the topic again after that. The answer became clear to me.
Yeah, I could not get to Ted and then I had Sam in my bed and I had do choose who I would go after or stay with. It was freaking horrible, I chose to go after him because she was in a more secure spot but the dresser was falling over, my ceiling fan was throwing off sparks and he was screaming from his bed (Sam slept through it LOL) This has led to me having a fear of not being able to get to them...think tree falling on the house. It does happen and I feel safer and more rested ;)

Xero said:
Also, babies being put in a seperate room in a crib is mostly a western thing, a cultural thing and not "just the way it works" its INSANE how many people bed share and co-sleep in other countries compared to America. Its also a recent thing, something developed over the past 100 years or so. Before that it was only natural to have baby with you. Don't know what the world thinks has changed so drastically since then to make seperate room/crib sleeping so necessary? Who knows.
It is very much a western thing, same with formula, formula has only been around for less then a hundred years and really became popular in the 50's. So much of parenting has become commercial, if everyone bed shared or co-slept where would crib manufactures be? Breastfeed and see bottle companies, formula companies and a whole host of other business go out of business. Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is bad to formula feed, I did both, but breastfeeding is still such a hot topic and it shouldn't be..

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I guess, on some level, according to Xero's definition, I co-slept from the beginning. It was about the time I tried to move her into her own room when she was about 8 months old or so that I began to bed share.

I understand why people put babies in their own rooms, and I think that probably the main reason I kept her in crib in the room with me was because I was so enamoured of her I couldn't imagine her being that far away from me in the beginning.

But it is interesting that M2M brings up the earthquake because, and I know I'm paranoid (or perhaps morbid is a better word) about a lot of strange things with regards to my daughter, but at that time we lived on the 12th floor of a 24 story building in an earthquake prone area of China. The building had been built before the new building regulations, so it was built of bricks. I always thought I'd rather us die with her in my arms in the case of an earthquake than lie there trapped under the rubble, hearing her frightened little cries as we both waited to die alone.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Yes I'm a co-sleeper and we co-slept in my family growing up. I'm dittoing everything Xero, M2M and MomoJa said. Pretty much the same reasons.

Now on the other hand my hubby was not a co-sleeper. Interestingly, his parents didn't co-sleep either, and my son was the 1st child born into this family in 37 years, so they hardly knew what a baby was!! lol I also think that makes a difference.

My husbands other fear was that he might roll over on the baby which is legitimate so I just kept the bassinet/ crib or toddlers bed next to mine like it was attached to our bed, and I usually had my hand on him when he slept as an infant, and young child.

CurtisGould

Sep 7, 2011
Thank you guys for the feedback! And Xero, no worries about the book! You seem very knowledgeable about co-sleeping and I had not thought of the difference between it and "bed sharing"! I knew there were a few bed-side attachments out there, but not many, which is actually what I'm directing my attention to in the design process!

On a side note, did anyone swaddle their infants? and if so, for how long did you do this?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I'm a tad late, but still worth it I guess.

We co-slept with all our children (bed sharing is called co-sleeping here).

If you currently cosleep or have coslept in the past, what are/were your reasons?
It is the safest place for a baby to be, if you look at countries where cot use is fairly rare (which is the majority of countries) and look at their rate of SIDS, then compare this to countries where the majority of children sleep in cots/cribs you'll see that SIDS rates are far higher in countries where cot/crib sleeping is the norm.

There is also the fact that not only is it beneficial for the child's health, it is also beneficial for the parents health as well. Then of course most co-sleeping parents also find that their children sleep better and so they sleep better.

I guess I kind of answered that above.

There aren't any, there are only risks when you are an idiot, there are more risks for a baby to sleep in a cot, like co-sleeping a lot of this is caused by the things parents do, such as putting stuffed toys in a cod, or those padded bumpers around the sides.

You'll also find that in some countries co-sleeping SIDS contain people who fall asleep in a chair etc. If you look at information where it is purely based on what happens in bed the SIDS rate falls dramatically.

Would you be interested in cosleeping if there were not risks associated with it?
Again, there are more risks with cot sleeping.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
CurtisGould said:
Thank you guys for the feedback! And Xero, no worries about the book! You seem very knowledgeable about co-sleeping and I had not thought of the difference between it and "bed sharing"! I knew there were a few bed-side attachments out there, but not many, which is actually what I'm directing my attention to in the design process!

On a side note, did anyone swaddle their infants? and if so, for how long did you do this?
OMG yes. Swaddling is the best thing about baby's, I loved to make little "baby burritos." (and I rocked at it!) For how long? well, until they immediately thrash themselves out of it and or it doesn't fit with a baby blanket anymore. I'm thinking swaddling doesn't last much past the 3-6 month mark....

Danechka

Sep 28, 2011
CurtisGould said:
Hi all!
I am an undergraduate design major at Virginia Tech and am trying to get opinions on cosleeping. I have found studies that the number of parents who cosleep is increasing, but I know that cosleeping has some serious dangers (specifically suffocation) The questions I am looking for opinions on are.

I don't do it or want to do it now because I think my kid is too old. (he's 3)

CurtisGould said:
1. It was convenient for nursing
2. The baby seemed to sleep better when held/cuddled
3. I enjoyed it

CurtisGould said:
I felt better always having the baby nearby, and it was good for everyone's sleep because he could nurse while we slept. We all got more sleep that way.

CurtisGould said:
My doctor warned me about this because of the risk of rolling over on the baby. But I think most people, myself included, just somehow instinctively don't move much when sleeping with a baby. I know I didn't.

CurtisGould said:
I don't really think there are risks, in most cases, but I feel that as kids get older, they're ready to learn self-comfort at bedtime.

CurtisGould said:
Everyone's insight would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you all!!! Thanks so much!

Curtis Gould
Approved by M2M
You're welcome.

jessicams

PF Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2011
CurtisGould said:

I swaddled my girls until they were about 3.5 months old. I wanted to go longer but they were starting to roll and figured they'd need their arms to roll back.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Baby burritos!! lol I swaddled ODS a lot before I decided to let him sleep on his tummy, and then he just didn't need it anymore as he was comfortable enough on his tummy to sleep without the swaddle. Plus swaddling isn't really necessary when you co-sleep (Jeremy btw, they call bedsharing co-sleeping here as well, its just that there are different ways to co-sleep and calling one bedsharing makes it easy to distinguish between the two types). I have swaddled YDS a few times, when he was really small and I'd put him to sleep in his bouncer or boppy next to me (he just liked it best) or if I wanted to get him to sleep in the swing haha. Swaddling is pretty magical, calmed him right down. He's not real interested in it these days though.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
IADad said:
OMG yes. Swaddling is the best thing about baby's, I loved to make little "baby burritos." (and I rocked at it!) For how long? well, until they immediately thrash themselves out of it and or it doesn't fit with a baby blanket anymore. I'm thinking swaddling doesn't last much past the 3-6 month mark....
Baby Buritos I love that too. lol

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I tried to swaddle, but I was never good at it. The Chinese are amazing swaddlers but for whatever reason, Ayi never swaddled my daughter.

anelen

Sep 30, 2011
[FONT=&quot]We had to stop co-sleeping because no one was sleeping! and we bought a Chicco play yard to have our son sleep in our room but with the MamaDoo Kids mattress topper to make it more comfortable as we were having some sleep problems (the mattress that comes with play yards is hard as a rock). We bought the play yard as it is portable and we can also use it when visiting friends or traveling. The topper too as it is necessary and it folds in 3.[/FONT]

CurtisGould

Sep 7, 2011
Great feedback guys! Because of the large amount of interest in co-sleeping (bedsharing) I've been refining a design for something similar to swaddling but a bit more firm to protect babies from the rare event of being rolled over. It's a co-sleeping wrap of sorts. I'll post some sketches when I have refined the form just a little bit more! :)
It has been very interesting to see how many of you all have great things to say about co-sleeping and I'm glad to hear all the positive effects!

Any things you'd like to see in a co-sleeping device? or something I should remember to consider while designing this?