Three kids, and now three posts...

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
I just found this Parenting Forum today, and that's only because I haven't been looking. If you're looking for Parenting Forums, it's hard to miss one called ParentingForums.org.

But now that my youngest son is 4 months old -- my older boys are 5 and almost 3 -- I thought I might sign up for a Forum. My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall and my youngest is going through potty training, so yeah, I've got some issues. The 4-month-old is also milk-soy-protein intolerant, which we also went through with my now 5-year-old, who has outgrown it.

Anyway, that's kind of long-winded. But the best introduction of myself is probably through this:

Matt Wixon: Humor Me: Humor Me: Swimming with the kids

It's about taking my kids to the pool for the first time a couple of weeks ago, including finding an overexposed sunbather. It's on my personal Web site, I make zippo money from it, but I didn't want to post the long thing here.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Hello and welcome. Sounds like your world is active like mine. Hope you like it here.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Hi! I'm working on my own family site as well so that I can share pics and stuff easily with my family members. Maybe i'll poke around your site a bit and see if i can pick up some knowledge!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have to ask the question. Why live your life and write about it to? What's the point? Why don't you write it down in a journal (paper) instead of having the public read it? Not being snarky, just curious.

Laughing @ myself...I don't know what snarky even is!!!

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
Well, I'm a writer for The Dallas Morning News, and I've always liked writing. Putting it on my own blog allows me to keep connected with family members and friends, and also with DMN readers who've gotten to know me over the years and are probably going through some of the same things.

I also have journals for my kids that I will give them when they get older, and I would never post anything that would embarrass them. (My oldest is 5, so it's not really a problem right now).

I think that writing columns or blogs about the things that happen with my kids is a great way for me to preserve the memories for myself. And the kids, too, if they care to read anything I write 10-15 years from now.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
dadof3boys said:
Well, I'm a writer for The Dallas Morning News, and I've always liked writing. Putting it on my own blog allows me to keep connected with family members and friends, and also with DMN readers who've gotten to know me over the years and are probably going through some of the same things.

I also have journals for my kids that I will give them when they get older, and I would never post anything that would embarrass them. (My oldest is 5, so it's not really a problem right now).

I think that writing columns or blogs about the things that happen with my kids is a great way for me to preserve the memories for myself. And the kids, too, if they care to read anything I write 10-15 years from now.

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
Yep, I'm a Texan -- actually right by you in Plano/Frisco. (City is Plano, but in the Frisco school district ... very confusing).

My wife and I have been here nine years. We're both from Phoenix, AZ area originally. We love it, but even after nine years, we're still getting used to the whole tornado warning thing.

Nothing like sitting in an interior bathroom with three little boys and a smelly dog!

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
We actually had one pass right over our house when I lived in Shreveport. We live on a hill and the best we can guess is it 'jumped' over us and then a block away taking the 2nd story off of a house.

Scary stuff.

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
If all the tornadoes agree to jump over my house, I'm cool with that.

I should point out that my kids, at least the 5-year-old and 2-year-old, thought that it was incredibly fun to hang out in the bathroom for 20 minutes while the tornado threat was close.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Hello I am glad to see new people joining :) always good to have more insight.

My oldest is in Texas visiting her mom. So now I have to worry about Tornadoes. :(

dadof3boys

Jun 10, 2008
Plano, TX
At least for now, your daughter shouldn't have any problems with tornadoes. No tornado threat in the five-day forecast, either.

Of course, the five-day forecast is pretty much a shot in the dark in most parts of Texas.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
Welcome!

I used to live in arlington for a while and my brother lived in frisco.. that's a great area!

I checked out your site - very nice!

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
dadof3boys said:
At least for now, your daughter shouldn't have any problems with tornadoes. No tornado threat in the five-day forecast, either.

Of course, the five-day forecast is pretty much a shot in the dark in most parts of Texas.
Yep, I check the weather by looking out the window and that is only accurate for five minutes or less in TX.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
dadof3boys said:
Yep, I'm a Texan -- actually right by you in Plano/Frisco. (City is Plano, but in the Frisco school district ... very confusing).

My wife and I have been here nine years. We're both from Phoenix, AZ area originally. We love it, but even after nine years, we're still getting used to the whole tornado warning thing.

Nothing like sitting in an interior bathroom with three little boys and a smelly dog!
I'm from that area myself! WElcome to the board