Throwing...

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
My two year old has taken to throwing things lately. Before whenever she wanted to have her temper tantrums she would cry some, which would as close to harmless as a tantrum could be I guess. But lately she picks things up and throws them. This is dangerous because I have an infant at home too....not to mention it's a very naughty habit!

I've tried getting eye level with her and talking to her about it and how it's not nice and why it's dangerous in the house. *Outside it's okay to throw balls for fun.* I've sat her down in "cool down" time too. But none of these methods seems to work.

I don't spank or pat on the hand. I don't want to pass the message that the answer to not doing something right is violence.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm getting too complicated for her with the explanations?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
at 2 I would say a lot of explanations are not needed...they will get lost in all your words (if that makes sence to you) a simple no and time out should do the trick as long as you are consistant and firm

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
hannah's mommy said:
I agree with Fallon. I would also take away the item she throws for a while.
for sure...thanks I forgot that part. We aren't quite there yet with Loagn and it's been a few yrs since DebraLyn was a thrower...lol :)

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I take whatever she throws away of course lol I forgot to add that in. But what I do is I take it away in sessions. I'll count to 30 then give it back to her and warn her that if she does it again it gets taken away for longer. Normally that's about an hour.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I would take it away, but put it somewhere visible, and give her a different toy. I always put things on the mantle. She would see it later and ask for it, and I would tell her no, you threw that toy, so it is in time-out for a few days. But you can play with this toy instead. She has to relate the consequence to something.

3timesmommie

Jan 18, 2008
Hamilton,Ontario
I make my son pick up everything he throws and be repetative, he was doing it for weeks toys and even his food so after about a month of making him pick up everything he has finally stopped!!!