Too much to ask to eat just a little at a meal?...

mom2-4girls

Oct 6, 2009
Arlington, WA
I hear and still do believe that kids will eat when they are hungry. I offer their last un-eaten meal at every meal time and then when they decide not to eat it comes out at the next mealtime. No snacks in between, no treats, just water. This works, but they get terribly cranky. :( Is it really too much to ask of a 4 yr. old to eat just a small amount of their meal to keep them from crashing during the day? My 4 yr. old sat for 4 hrs. last night when I tried to force her to eat. Maybe this will work over time but I sure felt terrible the whole time. She is so stubborn and I hate to go through this with her. But if it will work if I stick with it for a few days I'm willing to give it a try. What does everyone think about asking for just a little?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Goodness I feel your pain. My 5 year old eats so little I often wonder how she is surviving.

Personally, what I've been doing is making a meal for her that I know she can handle eating the entire thing. It usually isn't that much food so I know when can eat it all. She DOESN'T get up for ANYTHING until that meal is completely gone. She can sit there for 2 hours eating 4 chicken nuggets and some oranges as far as I care!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I have mixed feelings. I agree with the intention and the logic of teaching "we eat at meal time or no snacks or treats" as long as you're not setting her up to fail (i.e. dishing up a lot of food, or foods you know she's going to balk at.) I know it's frustrating when they won't eat a simple meal that you know they should like and want and I agree with presenting it again (maybe once, after that, I'm thinking it could be a little gross.)

I wonder if this is just a matter of being fickle, trying to exert her control etc. or if there could be an underlying health issue. Is she thriving otherwise? Does she get sick on any particular foods etc. Just don't want you going down this rod and weeks from now finding out the has some condition.

The other thing is I'm very careful about preaching "you will finish everything on your plate." I fear this can lead to bad eating habits i.e. teaching eating everything in front of you rather than stopping when you're full. But as long as you're reasonable with portion etc. I don't have any major problems with the approach.

(pardon me if I sound accusatory in my response, please understand I did not in any way mean to say you're overlooking health issues or doin anything wrong, I was just working through all the things going through my head on the issue. I have a 7 yo who sometimes exhibits similar behavior. oh, and part of his issue is he'll drink too much liquid and fill up early into a meal, which of course results in him being hungry in an hour....)

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
we go through this alot. it never gets easy. there's days when they will just accept it and go on or not eat what was given and go on without a fit or anything and then there's day when it seems like armageddon.
but sadly to keep from wasting things we have to do the "eat or go hungry" bit. yeah they get cranky and throw fits and all. but dh and i have both found, at separate times and together, that if we keep them busy then our girls don't notice how much they want that snack as much as they would if they were just sitting there doing much of nothing...
we feel guilty and bad about it too. but it helps to know that we are teaching our kids to not waste things and be thankful for what they have in front of them.
we've learned to avoid looking into their eyes. one look and we're all mush. they know that and play on it. it takes a lot of will power not to give in. i'm sad to say that more often than not we do give in. i know. its bad. and it does give a mixed message. all i can say is its tough.

i don't think you're not asking for much, not any more than what should be expected of any one person or child. do your best to stay strong and get hubby to help too and not give in. if both of you are on the same team and wont give in then it will in help with dealing with the tantrums...

stay strong and good luck...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
We've had a similiar discussion recently.
http://www.parentingforums.org/f11/3-year-old-won-t-eat-9223.html[/URL]

mom2-4girls

Oct 6, 2009
Arlington, WA
Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I am still emotionally struggling with my decision to continue with this or not. I definitely hear your concern about setting up for failure and over eating. It's a valid concern and I don't take it for one moment to be jugemental or accusing. I appreciate all the insights I can get. She will eat if I feed her, she will eat the same things I am asking her to when she wants to. In my opinion it's a game and a power struggle. I know she likes the things I am giving her, she eats them at will at times when she chooses. I only give her 2-3 bites of each thing at mealtime, so I'm not giving her too much by anymeans. The problem is when a lot of children give in and eat,..she won't! 4 hrs. last night proves that. arghh! I hate to see her so irritable and short all day because of lack of food with her playing a power game. She IS healthy, she isn't losing weight. I just don't know if I should continue asking for a just a little every meal or not, or just let her eat her meals when she's willing to. I'm torn, frustrated and heart broken....

mom2-4girls

Oct 6, 2009
Arlington, WA
Dadu2004 said:
Goodness I feel your pain. My 5 year old eats so little I often wonder how she is surviving.

Personally, what I've been doing is making a meal for her that I know she can handle eating the entire thing. It usually isn't that much food so I know when can eat it all. She DOESN'T get up for ANYTHING until that meal is completely gone. She can sit there for 2 hours eating 4 chicken nuggets and some oranges as far as I care!
But here she DOES eat after 2 hrs. where my little Kiah won't after 4 hrs. She fall asleep before she gives in.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<r>BTDT with my kids. Very common. She will eat when she's hungry. Watch what she eats over a weeks time vs. daily. My DD used to eat what seemed like hardly anything at all for several days and then chow like a horse. Our ped. assured us this was normal. Also, don't make a big deal about it. Pressuring the issue of eating can actually make things worse by turning it into a power struggle. Offer healthy foods. If she eats, great, if not, no biggie. <B><s></s>Our kids began to eat much better once we stopped forcing, pleading, begging and bribing, etc.. <e></e></B>Take a deep breath and let it go! <br/>
<br/>
Sometimes reverse psychology works. I remember my DD asking what was for dinner. I matter of factly stated, "Oh, something awful that you're not going to like." At dinner I served everyone but her. She said, "Hey, what about me?!" I replied, "I know you're not going to like this. Are you sure you want to try it??" She confidently nodded her head, tried it and proudly exclaimed she liked it! *Giggle* Score one for the parents! LOL! <br/>
<br/>
A good article from Baby Center dot com:<br/>
<br/>
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Is it normal that my big kid hardly seems to eat anything?&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Expert Answers&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Melanie Shay, registered dietitian &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;As long as your child is growing normally, she's most likely okay, even if she doesn't seem to be eating enough. The truth is, it's quite common for children at this age to have trouble sitting still for meals, to eat irregularly, and to be very picky about what they will eat.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;You may be tempted to try to force your child to eat more, but don't: The more pressure you put on her, the more she'll resist and the less she'll eat.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; Instead, offer her a range of healthy foods, eat them yourself so you're setting a good example, and then sit back and let her choose what she wants to eat, and how much. Don't worry — she won't starve. A recent study from the American Dietetic Association showed that nearly all children will eat enough to meet their nutritional needs when they have access to a variety of foods, even those whose mothers described them as extremely picky eaters.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The important thing to remember is that normal growth is the best indicator of adequate nutrition, so if your child is maintaining adequate growth in both height and weight (which your doctor can help you determine), then she is getting plenty of calories. Talk to your child's doctor at the next well-child visit (or make an appointment before then if you're really concerned) to confirm that your child is growing at the expected rate.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;While your child may be getting enough calories to grow, you may be worried that she's not getting these calories from the right sources. So you may want to record what your child eats for about a week (without making a big deal about it in front of her). Then you can use the Food Guide Pyramid (link shown at Baby Center dot com) to help you assess her eating. You'll probably find that she's eating better than you thought. If she seems deficient in any one food group, try offering more foods from that group for a while. If that doesn't work, you can always ask your pediatrician to recommend an appropriate multivitamin to help meet your child's nutritional needs.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
with the followup info, I agree that it seems like shes testing your resolve, and while I like the idea of tricking her into losing her own game I'm not so sure I agree with all of the babycenter article. When it says "offer you child a range of healthy foods," I'm a little cautios. While it makes sense to sometimes let her be involved in the meal selection, I think it's a little dangerous to set up an expectation of "you get to pick the meals," and thereby in er 4 yo mind it extends to "I only have to eat when it's a meal I select.'

I know we're guilty of fixing the kids one thing and us eating another, but we try to keep that to a special case situation. In general the expectation is that we all sit down to eat together and we stay at the table while we eat and until we're done.

and what's this bit about ask your pediatricianto recommenda vitamin....Flintsone's Chewables FTW!!!! ;-)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
IADad, that's not how I read "offer your child a range of healthy foods". I read it as meaning over time, not one meal. LOL! I cook a healthy meal. The same thing for the entire family. My kids will eat it or not. In fact, my kids are older now so our rule is, "Eat what is served or fix your own sandwich." We don't have junk food in the house so whatever they choose to fix for themselves is good for them. Sometimes they eat the meal served and sometimes they fix their own sandwich, but they usually EAT with little to no struggles.

I refuse to become a short order cook for the kids. I also don't have any problems with them eating healthy snacks between meals. In fact, dieticians say it's actually healthier to eat several small meals a day vs. the traditional 3 big ones.

Momnonymous

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2009
Just don't give in. Make it clear that she can't do anything she wants to do until she's finished. Eventually that 4 hours will become less and less time.

My step-son will clean his plate when my husband isn't around, because he knows I won't give in, but when my husband is home he won't eat because he knows my husband will give in eventually.

mom2-4girls

Oct 6, 2009
Arlington, WA
Thanks for the support in sticking with eating until you're finished. I'm starting to question though if she is still too young to make the link between eating will make her feel better. Last night she just kept saying she was sooo tired and just wanted to go to sleep, even though I told her that eating was going to make her feel better and then she could go straight to bed. If she's not capable of making that connection just yet then I am willing to be a bit more flexible. I don't want to play her games to give her the power but don't want to push something either that she's not capable of. What are your guys thoughts on that insight?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i don't think she's too young to figure out that eating would make her feel better when she hasn't had anything in a while. i know at that age, dh and i weren't. there was no such thing as power struggles when we was kids. uh uh. we knew better and they stuck with their guns well enough that we didn't dare try that sort of thing, not even when we were older. but we're old school anyway.

i think she's gettin' to ya. don't give up yet. stick to your guns. when she gets hungry enough she will eat. if you have to, put a little fear in her and tell her that bc if she don't eat she'll have to go to the doctor and those guys will give her a shot.:eek: not many kids that age like shots and it just might work. it has helped us with ours when we have managed to not give in and our girls have really tried to pull one over on us.

mom2-4girls

Oct 6, 2009
Arlington, WA
You're right, she is getting to me and that is exactally what she wants! That is why I am here looking for backup, support, encouragement and reassurance that it's ok to take this approach and that she will eventually give in if I stick with it. I need to stick with it I know, I just need to find the strength within myself and from others to do so. So thank you to all in my time of weakness. :)

Anna78

PF Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007
London, UK
Sawyer pushes his luck sometimes, and will scream and say I don't want to eat that. I just ignore him and he doesn't eat. Eventually when he realizes hes not getting any attention or being given what he wants, he will eat. Then I give him lots of praise 'i'm so proud of you for eating that, good job etc'.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
maybe off-topic, but how do you feel about the food you're serving your kids? do you like it? does it look pleasant?
reason i'm saying that... i'm a terribly picky eater myself. I was a nightmare to my parents, and up to now i'd rather stay hungry than eat whatever.
I am not spoiled, just as 16th ave. said, i was also raised the old-school way, and i wasn't even allowed to say i didn't like it, even though it tasted really really bad. a while ago my mother confessed, that she HATES kitchen, she hates cooking and she's absolutely disinterested how to cook better. So I don't wonder anymore that I didn't like almost anything she was making.
As for my older boy, he's eating so much better than me his age, so i don't fight about the things he doesn't want to eat. sometimes it just takes a little more creativity :)