Too stupid to take care of ourselves?...

Aylimn

Banned
Aug 2, 2008
Agreed with others here - I believe the labeling is about companies covering their own asses and it all boils down to the dollar sign.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
They have all these laws and warnings because somewhere along the line some stupid person has probably done it.

Example...McDonalds and the coffee cup. Of course coffee is hot! But this woman spills coffee on herself and it's hot and sues McDonalds about it? WTF! For real, are you serious?

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Sky .. although for the most part I agree with what you are saying .. and reminds me of the song "Heres your sign" ..

Re seatbelts ... its the same as the helmets laws .. the reason isnt so much because the gov cares about you ... its because the chance of permanent injury is so much higher. As say a head injury patient, the amount of money it costs to buy you helmets and wipe your drool and your ass .. is too expensive. Thus laws to cut down on permanent disabilities..

HandInCup

Jul 7, 2008
This is the world where the government is also trying to stop people from eating foods that they feel aren't 'healthy' enough. They want to stop poor people from eating McDonald's because it's not good for you. A grease-dripping hamburger with artifical everything isn't good for you? Isn't it MY personal decision to put that in my body or not? And yet we have people sueing fast food joints for 'making them fat.' Well, no one told you to eat there everyday, it's not like you were tied to a chair and forced to eat cheeseburgers until you couldn't walk anymore.

There is a whole site (can't find it right now, sorry) dedicated to stories of people who won lawsuits on stupid things like this. One of my favorites being a woman who was going to a concert and tried to skip the five dollar entrance fee, climbs a fence and falls, breaking her leg. She sues and WINS.

I personally feel that if people want to be stupid, let them be stupid. But I also feel there sould be some laws in place that don't exist. Like, people who can't swim shouldn't be allowed at the beach or at least not in the water there. I can't tell you how many people I've heard of drowning in the area because they can't swim and they go to the beach or around water in general. However, if it is more like a choice, such as eating fast food everyday for the rest of your life, you shouldn't be rewarded for being a dipstick.

Not wearing a setbelt (something I do from time to time) isn't really a smart thing to do, but if you don't do it, more power to you. I think that that was implemented as a way for cops to get more state revenue. The ability to save your life is right there, if you don't grab it, it's your personal fault.

Now, I've met people who don't even think we should have lifegaurds or cops or firefighters, and that's just plain crazy. Even the best swimmers can have an accendent, even the safest homes can erupt in flames. And not to mention all the gangs out there that don't mind coming into your house, killing you, then making off with all your belongings. This world isn't safe anymore, no matter how many personal safty laws they pass anyway.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
HandInCup said:
There is a whole site (can't find it right now, sorry) dedicated to stories of people who won lawsuits on stupid things like this. One of my favorites being a woman who was going to a concert and tried to skip the five dollar entrance fee, climbs a fence and falls, breaking her leg. She sues and WINS.
It's probably Stella Awards. I get the newsletter.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
hwnorth said:
the reason isnt so much because the gov cares about you ... its because the chance of permanent injury is so much higher. As say a head injury patient, the amount of money it costs to buy you helmets and wipe your drool and your ass .. is too expensive
While I do agree with you on WHY they made the laws, I would like to add that a fair amount of people working for the government DO care about you.

Jessie

PF Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008
I can understand companies issuing warnings with their products. As lame as some of the warnings are, just think of that one lawsuit happy person that would have loved to sue them over it. lol

As for the government enforcing certain things, I'm not certain how I feel about it. I suppose I would have to take each individual law into consideration.
My husband is a firm believer that he should be allowed to drive without wearing a seatbelt. And so I'm grateful the government says otherwise. (because I feel more comfortable knowing he's wearing one)