toothpaste...

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
About a week ago I finally just started having my daughter brush her teeth without toothpaste. She hated brushing her teeth and it was a battle every time. I was worried it would become such a negative experience that she would rebel as she got older and stop doing it. I chose establishing a habit over any actual effectiveness of the act. Now she actually asks me if she can go brush her teeth.

But, of course, I'd prefer for her to use some toothpaste. I've tried several training toothpastes and several different flavored flouride toothpastes. She says they all hurt her mouth. I know there is toothpaste for sensitive teeth, but do they make toothpaste for sensitive mouths/tastebuds?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Have you tried Tom's?

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/toothpaste/product-details/childrens-anticavity-fluoride[/URL]

(they also have no fluoride in the same flavor for kids, and they have a sensitive teeth version too and a couple others if you go back to the full product page)

She might go for it because there is no mint in the flavor, most kids toothpastes even the fruit/bubblegum flavored kinds still have mint and sometimes its just too sharp of a taste for kids. My DH accidentally brushed ODS's teeth with our toothpaste one time (ugh don't get me started on that man lol) and ODS cried and said it was "hot". I guess because it kind of stings, you know?

But even if its not the mint this is your best bet because it has the most limited ingredient list you can find and have it still be toothpaste lol so it cuts out all the uneccessary stuff so all you have is pretty much what HAS to be in there plus strawberry flavoring. Couldn't hurt to try! lol They sell it at Target from what I've seen so far.

DieselDude

Banned
Jul 20, 2011
I had the same problem with my son when he was little. He always wouldn't want to brush his teeth. I don't know what got into him but then he just started brushing again. Kids........

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
If she can rinse and spit, you might want to see about using a kids rinse too. my boys, even the 4 yo, LOVE using it. The love rinsing the the "sugarbugs" away.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
We don't need to brush our teeth with toothpaste. My best friends boy refused to brush his teeth cause all toothpaste made him gag.....and she tried everything. At the dentist once she mentioned it to him and he told her that not using toothpaste was fine so long as he brushed them and if he could handle a mouthwash all would be good. He has only ever had one cavity so it hasn't adversely effected him.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Great info, everyone. Thanks!

Haven't tried the Tom's yet, but I will first try that. If that doesn't work, we'll continue to skip the toothpaste and try to include a rinse.

I knew I'd get help here.

Momof1

Jul 14, 2011
Hmmm. We usually use crest, when my son was younger he liked it because it was blue and kinda sparkly (he said it looked like the sky with stars in it, lol).
I also remember seeing at the store some muppet baby toothpaste that was bright pink, you could try that...we never used it, since I just have a boy and that toothpaste was "girly" (my sons description), but it looks cute and may be fun to use for girls.