Top 3 things...

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
Wow, interesting question.

First, I would say pets. I cannot keep my opinions to myself when it comes to families and owning animals. Mostly because people often view pets as sort of a fun thing, almost like a toy, or as an accessory, when they should really be part of the family. To me, our dog is like another child. I also think that people often pick the wrong type of pet for their particular family... like getting a hamster for a young child, or a bird for someone who wants something cuddly. I don't know, I get very heated about the subject of pets.

My second thing is kids earning their allowance by doing chores. I feel like chores should be something expected, and that kids should feel like the are responsible for contributing to the family in that way. I don't feel like I should have to pay my children to get them to do regular chores that are expected from them. Now, its not to say that I wouldn't take away the allowance for not doing chores, or not offer them money for doing something particularly special.

My third big thing is fast food! I have never, ever allowed fast food into my house, even pizza! I have very strong opinions on health and nutrition, and we are a strictly no fast-food family. Even on those nights where it feels like we don't have enough time to make dinner, we find something healthy to make that is fast. Fast food is terrible, even though people say its ok in moderation, I feel like, if we don't eat it, we won't know what we're missing. I feel that it can lead to bad habits, especially if we buy it because we don't feel like cooking! I'd rather go to a nice restaurant, where there are healthy options. The only exception I have is Subway, and that is a rare treat.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Children being treated or raised poorly (as in bad, not low income lol), abortion, and pets! I agree with yunihara, some people just don't seem to realize that each and every animal is a living, feeling thing. :(

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
1) Gay marriage - my brother is gay and i get very argumentative and opinionated on the topic of gay marriage and gay adoption. i cannot stand people who are against it and say its wrong or immoral when they have probably never had a conversation with a gay person in their life.

2) Teenage Parenting - when people constantly give un needed and un wanted advice. like telling you what time your children need to be in bed, the words to use when talking to them. i get very upset when people tell me how to parent because like every other parent in the world i am doing the best job i can no matter what my age is.

3) children in daycare - everyone has a different opinion on it but i hate it when people say it is an uncaring place and that the children aren't obtaining anything by being there. that is not true, it is a fun learning environment. don't get me wrong i don't approve of the children that come 9 hours a day 5 days a week but those parents shouldn't be looked down upon. maybe its the only way the parents can work to provide for their family. and give their children the best lives possible.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Okay, mine are...

CIO I will never keep my opinion to myself on that one. I do not and never will believe it is okay to leave a child alone and crying in their room.

Abortion- I firmly believe the woman's choice, even though I personally find it wrong.

Gay rights- at the end of the day they are people, people entitled to all the rights every other citizen is. I find it a shame that they can still be treated as "less then" in most societies.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I am the same way about CIO, as you probably know lol, I categorize that under my listed subject of "children being treated poorly". :p

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Xero said:
I am the same way about CIO, as you probably know lol, I categorize that under my listed subject of "children being treated poorly". :p
I know, it's nice to have a kindred spirit when it comes to CIO...most people don't feel that way.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Ok, mine are:

1) Telling me how to raise my child - In the end, its my/my husbands choice how to raise our child. Lately she has been really spoiled by my parents and petes parents and its been making her a total hellion. I try and put my foot down when it comes to certain things, and I just get ignored, its getting on my nerves.

2) People telling me how to spend my/our money - This gets me so irrate. As of last week, we returned our new car, because a-it just didnt work for us and it was too small and b-the lease payment and interest rate were outrageous. The guy at the dealership tried to say we need to cut back on groceries, house bills, etc, to keep the lease, when he doesnt even know what our complete financial situation is. We took the car back because we jumped into it too soon, we had it for not even a week, so no one lost money on it besides us (our $1,000 downpayment) and it really annoyed me that he tried to push it on us.

3) I sometimes get frustrated with my friends when it comes to petes line of work. He works odd hours, and long hours (for instance, this week he works monday to friday in the yard--Mon is midnight to 8am --tues is midnight to 8am --wednes is 4pm to midnight --thursday is 4pm to midnight and friday is 8am to 4pm) and he has to sleep lots to be able to function at work. My friends give him flack for always sleeping, and it drives me nuts. I would rather him be completely rested at work and be able to perform his job, then not have had enough sleep and get hurt or killed, its just a no brainer.

Ok thats my rant haha :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
God, used as a validation for any kind of action or a reason for something happening. I think it's completely small minded of people to assume that I share their faith.

Gay bashing on any level. Whether it's outright bashing or any kind of comment that suggests that gay people have less human rights or fewer morals that a straight person.

Corporal punishment. I don't care what anyone tries to say, I just don't think that physical action should be used to resolve conflict or force compliance.

Just have to say, it's tough picking three only. I HATE conflict, will almost always walk away from it, but I am so pregnant right now, and so emotional, that I feel pretty feisty!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Only three, we need way more than three!!!

Politics, far too many people around me are conservatives, I don't appreciate being around racists, homophobes, sexists and those who only care for themselves and their growing bank accounts. While I don't look for confrontation, I will speak my mind if they release their own.

Parents who cannot be bothered to care for their own children, and somehow think it is acceptable to place this responsibility on others.

People who eat none free-range products if you don't keep your pet in a tiny cage being forced fed, covered in sores and their own excrement, then why are you paying others to do it on your behalf.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
stjohnjulie said:
God, used as a validation for any kind of action or a reason for something happening. I think it's completely small minded of people to assume that I share their faith.
I wanted to agree with this, but I wont say any more than that haha. See I bet if we sat down and talked about religion, we would agree 100%. I can just tell by what you're saying there. However, I am very careful not to hurt anyone's feelings by saying what I think around the ones I know who believe in it, you know?

ilu - I feel your pain!! DH's job is a lot the same as far as the way his hours and days work!! They are always changing and stuff, he hates it.

Jeremy - I've actually been buying more free range stuff lately, but its because I've just lately been able to find it. Mostly I can only find chicken that way though. :( I don't have much access to that kind of thing in my area.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
xox.ilu.xox said:
3) I sometimes get frustrated with my friends when it comes to petes line of work. He works odd hours, and long hours (for instance, this week he works monday to friday in the yard--Mon is midnight to 8am --tues is midnight to 8am --wednes is 4pm to midnight --thursday is 4pm to midnight and friday is 8am to 4pm) and he has to sleep lots to be able to function at work. My friends give him flack for always sleeping, and it drives me nuts. I would rather him be completely rested at work and be able to perform his job, then not have had enough sleep and get hurt or killed, its just a no brainer.

Ok thats my rant haha :)
I have the same issue, hubby works graveyard, 12 hours shifts and as he's gotten older it has gotten harder for him to flip over on his days off, so there is always flack about him sleeping. like you I prefer he is rested when he goes to work and since it doesn't bother me I don't see why it should bother others.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
1) When people assume they know why their kids do what they do, instead of listening to them. Too often kids get punished simply because they don't know how to cope with thing, and so their reactions are misunderstood as them just being naughty.

2) When people don't respect the environment. Littering, not respecting the rules in national parks or other reserves, feeding wild animals, trophy hunting, buying products of endangered animals or that was harvested using inhumane methods (that includes non-free-range, anything) etc.

3) When people are full opinions about subjects they know nothing about. Eg. The person who once told me people who claim to suffer from depression are just looking for pity...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
First, I would say pets. I cannot keep my opinions to myself when it comes to families and owning animals. Mostly because people often view pets as sort of a fun thing, almost like a toy, or as an accessory, when they should really be part of the family. To me, our dog is like another child. I also think that people often pick the wrong type of pet for their particular family... like getting a hamster for a young child, or a bird for someone who wants something cuddly. I don't know, I get very heated about the subject of pets.
definetly agree. The most disturbing thing is, when a couple expect or have a baby, then decide to get rid of their cat or dog. I must admit, I have no respect for people who are so irresponsible towards their animals.

Corporal punishment. I don't care what anyone tries to say, I just don't think that physical action should be used to resolve conflict or force compliance.
agree with that as well. Sometimes well, you can't judge people who have had poor education or been treated not very well themselves, but when seemingly "normal" people choose to hit their children for things like... crying in the supermarket. that makes me very sad :(

to add something from myself...this goes to the immigrant communities. There are a lot of families who come on a temporary basis (like a couple of years), and they refuse to send their kids to school, because... "British schools are not good enough for our children". Sometimes the social services get involved, but not too often.

People who eat none free-range products if you don't keep your pet in a tiny cage being forced fed, covered in sores and their own excrement, then why are you paying others to do it on your behalf.
judging by prices of things... i'm afraid for many people is not their choice :(

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i agree Tabasco. i can't afford to buy free range i am a single teenage mother supporting two children. so unfortunately free range is not usually an option for me

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah its just hard to find around here. They have chicken marked "free range" at the super markets around here, but that's really it. We don't have any of those specialty places where we can get them. I don't mind buying the free range chicken because its actually very close to the price of the regular stuff, I was surprised to discover. I don't know about other meats though.

I have no problem finding all natural, healthy home grown fruits and vegetables though as there are fruit and vegetable stands everywhere you look around where I live. :) I like that a lot.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero said:
Yeah its just hard to find around here. They have chicken marked "free range" at the super markets around here, but that's really it. We don't have any of those specialty places where we can get them. I don't mind buying the free range chicken because its actually very close to the price of the regular stuff, I was surprised to discover. I don't know about other meats though.
Well, chicken's a start. And here they also don't cost significantly more than other chickens. Surprisingly, free range eggs are often cheaper than battery eggs. And the eggs are the worst. Chicken batteries disgust me to the point where I would rather not eat eggs at all than to support them. I just wish more people would educate themselves and stop supporting this cruelty, so that those business are forced to change or go out of business. :mad:

For those who don't get why it is such a big deal, here's some reading material.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Yup, free range is not really an option here in the stores. Were lucky to get anything. Although, we do have chickens running all over the place on island, suppose you could eat them if you knew how to butcher them. I tried, unsuccessfully, to collect their eggs. I fed them in my yard, and before you knew it, we had well over a 100 daily visitors. Problem was, I could never find their nests, and they didn't care for the fancy layer coops I made for them.

Xero, if I wasn't in such a hormonal state, I wouldn't have even mentioned religion. As much as I hate to have it shoved down my throat, I don't like to start that kind of debate with anyone. I respect other people, therefore, I respect their beliefs. But I get frustrated when other people will not just let us agree to disagree. Do you know what I mean?? I've always thought the main component in religion was faith, and I don't know how you can talk someone into having faith. My husband always tells the Witnesses that come around, "When all else fails, do good." That is his religion. Just do good. It's just such a personal thing to me.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Surprisingly, free range eggs are often cheaper than battery eggs.
sometimes it is possible to find them cheaper, like in "reduced to clear" shelves, but in general the price difference is almost twice. so can't really blame people who count every penny for choosing what's cheapest.
there is also a category called "barn eggs" which are RSPCA approved -- they are cheap.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
TabascoNatalie said:
sometimes it is possible to find them cheaper, like in "reduced to clear" shelves, but in general the price difference is almost twice. so can't really blame people who count every penny for choosing what's cheapest.
there is also a category called "barn eggs" which are RSPCA approved -- they are cheap.
If they're RSPCA approved, they should be whole lot better than battery eggs. If understand correctly, then at least the hens get to keep their beaks and they get to move around a bit (though not a lot, given how many are still crowded into a barn.) Not ideal, but a step in the right direction.

LOL, see? I can't shut up about it. But I believe if I get one person to take one step in the right direction (ie. away from animal cruelty) then I have accomplished something. :p