Trashing threads...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Looks like I am the odd man out on the issue, so I will back away from it and allow it to continue without further requests to keep it contained to general chat.:)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Some feedback I got on this issue in a PM this evening:

Ari2 said:
YW, and I appreciate your efforts as mod.

I also think it was a good idea to address the issue with Fooser's OT comments in a thread. As non-mods we don't know about the PM requests, etc, and I was glad to hear about it. This is a small site that I hope can grow considerably with time. To do that requires some fair-handed moderation to make sure all members who behave themselves at least semi-reasonably feel welcome and are treated decently...even if it causes some foot-stomping and whining on occasion. ;)

Keep up the good work. :)

jtee said:
Thank you for posting these comments. I truly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter. Thx! :)

Ari2 said:
I don't see a problem with keep the OT stuff out of serious threads. If someone is asking for help with a personal problem, especially if they are new-ish, they may be put off with the thread being hijacked. It also doesn't make the site seem all that friendly to new members, and there have been new people who have left because of this just in the short time I've been here.

More new members = more posts and more perspectives = gets my vote, as long as General Chat is allowed to be looser.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I haven't been around much today so I haven't really caugt up on what's going on but I think the OT stuff gets a bit out of hand, I'll voice my opinions in the thread when I have a minute though

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Thanks Fallon, any support you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
For the remainder of the day I have hidden the thread. Feel free to reopen it if you want to moderate the discussion. If no one else does, I will do so when I have the time to address additional comments posted in the thread.

http://www.parentingforums.org/f2/what-isnt-acceptable-4628.html[/URL]

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don' thtin kyou are alone at all. I think things need to be kept OT. At least on serious questions form posters.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I am glad that Ari2 stepped up to the plate and stated her opinion.

I am perfectly OK with someone posting a silly\absurd question, thus getting silly responses. We can just move the thread to General Chat. No big deal.

I think forum members understand my point, don't trash good discussion threads. The concern I have is some won't give a damn, and do whatever they please when the mood suits them. Maybe not everyday, but a few times a week. You know who I am talking about. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep, and I think as long as we have stated the rules and people know them... then well, they know what will happen to their threads