trends in Spending Habits of Youths...

P07-Felix

Feb 7, 2011
Hi everyone. Just wanna start a thread to get an idea of how do you guys think about the spending habits of youths now a days? Does they really ask a lot of allowance in order to get something they like or they work to get the things they want? and what are the most common things that they always talk about that they wanted to have or to buy?

JungleMama

PF Regular
Feb 7, 2011
Good ol' Canada Eh!
In my house we promote earning what you get, my 11 yr old does house chores to earn her allowance and will go out and shovel sidewalks in winter, and mow lawns in summer to earn more money.

To help her choose appropriate things to buy me and her have a "girls day out" and we go shopping and have lunch together once every 2 weeks. Just me and her. That way when she picks out clothes, I can see what is appropriate, and she isnt out buying uneccessary things... like the puppy she saw last month xD

She sometimes asks for more with her allowance but I always tell her if she needs that extra money, I have extra chores I would be happy to share with her! She either backs down or pitches in lol!

crazybabydayz

Feb 10, 2011
selby , yorkshire
My son is 15 he gets £3 a week off me for putting clean clothes away then he has a paperround £15 a week and works at the pizza place on a week end £20 per night ..he as been brought up that in this world u cant get anything for nothing and that u have to work for things u want ...he saves

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I give mine allowance regardless of what they do around the house. Well, Megan is too little for allowance. But Hannah gets $5 per week. She has to give $1 in the offering plate at mass, and she has to save $1. But the other $3 is hers.

Helping out around the house is mandatory just because she's part of the family.

But, if she misbehaves, then if it is appropriate consequence I will deduct on allowance.

I let her buy pretty much whatever she wants, but I do have veto power. No buying "junk" like candy or little tchotchkes, but other than that she can decide.

Wei Kong

Feb 15, 2011
Even though I am still a student but I would like to share my two cent worth of opinion.

Firstly, regarding the spending habits of youth, I feel that youth's nowadays including me have been spending much more. Possible reason could be the rising cost however that is not an excuse. Furthermore, the allowance given to youth is seemingly increasing as economy picks up and could viable justification to increasing youths' expenditures.

Secondly, allowance wise; I would gladly save up for something I want rather than working part-time as working will affect my studies.

Lastly, notable items that I want to have are Electronic Devices, Games/Console and/or Apparel Clothing as they are my preferred choice of things. These items are not perishable/consumable and can last for a long time and one of the reasons why I choose these over others

Kenny Lim

Feb 15, 2011
Personally, I feel that youths now are spending lots of money. Most of the youths are spending money on clothings, entertainments, food and electronical gadgets.

Currently, i also notice that parents tend to spoil their child by giving them lots of money to spent.

P05-eddie

Feb 16, 2011
I think that the youths in this modern genration are spending alot of money on clothes, shopping or to enjoy food that they like. For some youths, they do take up part- time jobs so that they can buy things that they like, they usually do it during their vacations. I think that in the midst of spending, it is also important for youths to know the importance of saving money. After all, overspending is also not a good thing if they cannot control themselves.

Quatrix

Feb 16, 2011
Our 1-year-old isn't quite ready for an allowance, but in 10 - 15 years we hope to teach her the value of money and make her earn it... clean the transporter pads, reprogram the flying car, typical kid stuff. And if she was a teenager now, we wouldn't spoil her with an unnecessary cell phone just because of peer pressure from irresponsible parents.

Arob

Banned
Feb 26, 2011
Toronto
In our house the daily chores add up to about six hours work on Saturdays. I do all the rest. The kids work this shift every weekend and get paid $5/hr - they even did it when Joan and I went away to Jamaica last winter and it freaked my brother in law out when he woke up that Saturday morning to the sound of vacuum as washer / dryer .

Big_Sister

PF Regular
Jan 27, 2011
I think the Job for a child is going to school so allowance is for jest doing as good as they can there.
So I'm only holding it back for not doing homework or jest beeing lazy at school.

Sam gets now 30SFr( 23$) Thats, average for a 6. Grader

On what she spends it, it's her own desicion, cause its her mony. Unfortunly she spends te most on trashing her teath with candy. but she allsow likes "Lego technik" and buys a lot of it by her self

laney.ashmore

Mar 4, 2011
Arob said:
In our house the daily chores add up to about six hours work on Saturdays. I do all the rest. The kids work this shift every weekend and get paid $5/hr - they even did it when Joan and I went away to Jamaica last winter and it freaked my brother in law out when he woke up that Saturday morning to the sound of vacuum as washer / dryer .
I really like this idea of "shift" work. I think that would work better than expecting them to do random things around the house throughout the week. Simply assign a shift of work for a few hours on one day a week. It would definitely get teenagers used to the concept of working for a chunk of time. Hmmm... might need to try this.