Trends of Spending Habits of Youths...

eir-ph

Nov 9, 2010
Hello guys, im curious in finding out the spending habits of youths nowadays. Does the fact that the lifestyles and well-being of families are improving these days affect how kids spend their money? Or maybe that your children are growing up and tend to turn to materialistic ways of meeting their needs. What do you guys think? :)

waybueno

Nov 8, 2010
I know as I got older I wanted less things but the things I wanted were more exspensive.

Maria

PF Regular
Nov 8, 2010
South
I think it is a combination of personality and parenting. Parents naturally want their children to have a better life than them growing up, even if theirs was a really good life. So, parents will naturally buy stuff for their kids that they never got to have. Everyone reacts differently to things cause they have a different personality, so every kid will react different to this. My parents provided a lot to us that they never had. We had computers, internet, they bought our first car and paid for its insurance... My parents pretty much bent over backwards so we never knew want.

To be blunt, my sister reacted to this by becoming spoiled and expecting things to be provided for her. She is a thief even though she does not need to be. She just thinks that she deserves anything she wants and that she should have it, and she has no problem asking mom & dad for money if she can't get it on her own (she's older than me, so yeah, she's an adult). I'm just the opposite. I really took after dad. I have no desire to gain material things and zero interest in them. In fact, I hate shopping. All I really want are pets. I hate asking my parents for money and work hard to not have to do that. I would rather give something up before asking for money. We both had the same parents, so our spending difference must be a personality thing.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
My opinion is that there is more to be materialistic about. When there was not a lot of stuff your status among peers was based more on who you were and now more so on what you have. I'm not suggesting that there wasn't always a division between the haves vs. the have nots. What I am suggesting is that things that were once reserved for he rich are now more accessible to people whom reside a little lower on the totem pole.

eir-ph

Nov 9, 2010
Yeah i guess the 'trend' i mentioned about seems to be crude because of the different personalities each individual resides in.

@NinjaBob, So is it a matter of the economy gaining stability and improving how people live? Hence making those materialistic 'wants' available to any average joe?

Venezia

PF Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2010
Northampton, UK
NinJaBob said:
My opinion is that there is more to be materialistic about. When there was not a lot of stuff your status among peers was based more on who you were and now more so on what you have. I'm not suggesting that there wasn't always a division between the haves vs. the have nots. What I am suggesting is that things that were once reserved for he rich are now more accessible to people whom reside a little lower on the totem pole.
I couldn't agree more (and I love the totem pole thing!). Cheap labour, cheap manufacturing, cheap knock-offs, increased media awareness etc. - they all have a part to play.

We're constantly being told that we can have it all, and for some people, the lure of masstige is just too much to resist. If the advertisers are to be believed, you can have it all; however, I fear there is always a price to pay, and currently it's the <I>"I want, I must have, give it to me now, it's my right"</I> mindset.

Anyway, I'm still grieving over the Play-Doh Fun Factory I didn't receive when I was a child (probably why I love my pasta machine)!! :p

Daycare Dad

Oct 25, 2010
Me too. My kids are not quite there yet but I would rather prepare for for what's coming! And thoughts and suggestions are helpful!

englishsunset

Nov 18, 2010
Vermont
I used to live in Norwich, VT, which has the highest per income in the state. Right next door is Hanover, NH, which is maybe even more affluent. My teenagers attended the very good high school in Hanover and they all were very amazed at the way kids there handled money. It was nothing for kids to have credit cards, drive Lincoln SUVs, and spend cash like it meant nothing to them.
Mine worked at Ben and Jerry's and such to have money and they are much better off because of a realistic experience with money.