Trouble with Girlfriend's Sons...

Mr. Nanny

PF Regular
Mar 25, 2013
My girlfriend, Natalie, has two sons, one 12 and the other 6, from two fathers. It drives me nuts how she babies them and how they act, so I'm basically asking on here as to whether or not I'm being unreasonable or if the situation is as bad as I feel, based on how I was raised. Also, general advice for my part in this relationship would be appreciated.

The 6 year-old (Bobby) is incredibly energetic and friendly and expected to be diagnosed with ADHD. He climbs all over her house, jumping off tables, hanging off the cupboard handles, and eating cereal from atop the fridge. He ripped a cupboard door off and the inside has now become his cubby hole where he stashes toys and eats. She spanks Bobby on occasion because he can be incredibly defiant and disruptive. In a rage, he broke his portable DVD player in half but she still lets him use his brother's because it serves as a "babysitter." He really likes me, maybe because he only sees his dad a few times a year because he allegedly abandoned Natalie once she became pregnant. He's afraid to be alone at night or in the bathroom with the door shut and sleeps with his mom because they still haven't made a new room for the 12 year-old. I don't live with her, but I've encouraged her to have Bobby sleep on the "day bed" to transition into sleeping alone (I had my own bedroom by age 5).

Yesterday, while Nattie was lying down, he laughed and threw both of his filthy socks at her face and she did nothing but tell him to stop. Nattie hides Sharpie pens and won't display fragile decorations for fear that he'll destroy them or vandalize the house, essentially letting his behavior dictate their home. He already marked up her car's glove box with a pen and often makes a mess of food all over furniture that she cleans up. My mom wasn't highly strict, but I would never have imagined doing any of this at that age.

The 12 year-old, Eric, is more reserved but very bratty. He's getting chubby because he overeats, but Natalie rarely puts boundaries on how much he may eat and often gives in to his requests for toys and food. He generally dislikes me and is very childlike and rude to me. During a recent vacation, countless times he physically wedged himself between Natalie and me whenever she approached me for a hug or to hold my hand. On one occasion, I shoved him out of the way because I'd had enough; it was so noisy that Natalie didn't notice, but I later told her. The only time Eric acts nice is when he wants to get something out of me. He's an only grandchild to millionaire grandparents and nephew to a childless couple, so he's very spoiled with expensive gifts.

When speaking to Eric, Natalie often refers to herself in 3rd person as "Mommy" and he sometimes calls her "Momma" in a weak, childlike tone. He insists that she "tuck him in" every night for bed, and has had crying fits at bedtime because of the attention Natalie gives me. He sometimes asks to sleep in bed with her, which she refuses, and several times I woke up to him spooning against her in the morning when she and I were in bed during our vacation. I felt this was a serious violation of our space and privacy. Like Bobby, Eric loves his mom dearly but at the same time shows little respect or appreciation. He wants her to get back with his dad and openly said this in front of them. They are still friends but split up when he was just a baby. He's almost Nattie's size and uses this to his advantage, grabbing at her and blocking her, which again, I never would have done to my mom. When I was 12, I was growing pubic hair and spending my sick days skimming through issues of Hustler that my brother hoarded. Eric is so childish that I can't imagine him even being near that stage. I also had far better manners and respect for elders.

Am I crazy, or is this parenting in need of serious reform? I'm often embarrassed to be around them in public and I sometimes think this may cause the end of my relationship with Nattie. I talked to her about this last night and, although she understood my frustration, she's very conscious about her exhaustive role as a single mother, so my words definitely hit a sensitive spot with her.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
May I ask, how long have you been in the picture for?

To me, my gut instinct when reading the scenario with Bobby is that he may need some outside help, as may your girlfriend, if she is allowing him to sit up ontop of the refrigerator to eat cereal and damaging property then there are some serious boundary issues there, needless destruction isn't typical behaviour of a child of that age.

Again, going on gut instinct, reading the scenario with the 12yr old, is it possible that there is some co-dependency going on there? I agree that he is reaching an age where he should be asserting some independence and from what you have said he doesn't appear to be doing much of that, and if you are only new to the picture it does make sense that he would want to get in between you, because she is his mother and he has witnessed his mother in vulnerable situations with men before (his brother's father) and if he wants his mother back with his father, obviously you are a threat to his want, so naturally he would be defensive of her, however there is that boundary of accepting that his mother is an adult who needs to make her own decisions and needs her own space.

Regardless, I think there would be some benefit from outside help for everyone involved. Obviously if their behaviour is preventing their mother from maintaining a relationship, that needs to be addressed, particularly with Eric as he gets older, but on the other hand, their mother may need help upping the boundaries, in addition, you may need some guidance with how to slot into the family, should you wish to continue with the relationship.

Mr. Nanny

PF Regular
Mar 25, 2013
cybele said:
May I ask, how long have you been in the picture for?
About six months.

cybele said:
To me, my gut instinct when reading the scenario with Bobby is that he may need some outside help, as may your girlfriend, if she is allowing him to sit up ontop of the refrigerator to eat cereal and damaging property then there are some serious boundary issues there, needless destruction isn't typical behaviour of a child of that age.
By "outside help" do you mean a professional or second parent? She told me that she was considering seeking professional help because of both his hyperactivity and because of his fear of being alone at night (he's also afraid to shut the door when using the bathroom). Because of her admittance to considering seeking help, a few times I've given my opinion of disciplining him more firmly, but it's touchy because she's understandably sensitive to what she perceives as my criticizing her parenting.

cybele said:
Reading the scenario with the 12yr old, is it possible that there is some co-dependency going on there? I agree that he is reaching an age where he should be asserting some independence and from what you have said he doesn't appear to be doing much of that... If he wants his mother back with his father, obviously you are a threat to his want, so naturally he would be defensive of her, however there is that boundary of accepting that his mother is an adult who needs to make her own decisions and needs her own space.
I think because of the single mother circumstance, she coddles them too much; many people come and go but her kids are her one emotional standby. Then he's got wealthy relatives that spoil him even more-so, so he's used to being privileged and getting things that I never had at his age. But I can't stand being disrespected to the point of being physically shoved around by a child, so I feel I need to retaliate physically.

cybele said:
On the other hand, their mother may need help upping the boundaries, in addition, you may need some guidance with how to slot into the family, should you wish to continue with the relationship.
It's an unusual circumstance; I'm 20 years younger than my girlfriend and we met through work. We love each others' company, but we don't know how our romantic relationship will pan out. We think of ourselves as friends first and lovers second, and I've stressed that I want to maintain a healthy, happy friendship no matter what. I consider her my best friend at the moment and we provide each other emotional support, but at some point I may decide that the ages and life circumstances are too different for it to work long-term. In some ways we both wish that, from the start, we only spent time away from her kids so that they wouldn't get used to having me around and that equation wouldn't be an issue. I imagine it could be tough for kids to have their mom date guys that come and go like a revolving door.

Regardless of how it pans out, this single parent dating situation is new for me and while I'm experiencing it, I want outside feedback to analyze and suggest how best to handle it. Thank you for your comments thus far, cybele.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I did mean professional help with the 6yr old, I think there has to be a bit more to the hyperactivity.

Wealth isn't necessarily a huge indicator of behaviour, you can have children who grow up with all the goodies in the world who have behaviour that isn't 'desired' and kids who have nothing who do the same, I think the money is a non-issue and the real issue is the emotional dependence him and his mother have on each other outside of a typical mother-son relationship.

I understand not wanting to be shoved around by a 12yr old who is not respecting your or his mother's physical boundaries, that under no circumstances (the physically getting in between you, and the physically getting in his mother's way to prevent her from doing things you mentioned in your first post) is acceptable behaviour, however you are the adult, he is the child and shoving back doesn't work.

It probably wasn't in the kids best interest to introduce you to the kids so early, but what is done is done and the two of you need to move forward. When speaking to your girlfriend I would be wary of the way things are worded, people are generally not receptive to criticism, so phrasing things in ways such as "Hey Natalie, I feel very uncomfortable when Eric physically shoves me out of the way when I am with you, I am also uncomfortable with him climbing into bed when I am in it, what can we do to rectify this?" or "When Bobby is damaging things, what should I be saying to him? Do you think that removing him from the room will work?" "When Eric physically grabs you I worry about your safety as he is growing into a very strong young man, can you think of anything we should be doing to rectify this? I care about you and I don't want him to accidentally hurt you because he does not know his own strength as he is growing".

Make it less of a criticism and make yourself part of the solution.

Mr. Nanny

PF Regular
Mar 25, 2013
cybele said:
I think the money is a non-issue and the real issue is the emotional dependence him and his mother have on each other outside of a typical mother-son relationship.
Thanks for the quick response. I definitely get the sense that he doesn't appreciate or earn a lot of what he receives. For instance, he nagged the living hell out of his mom to buy him a toy and finally she did it. I can't see how whining his head off deserved any sort of reward, but he got it and was further conditioned to continue that behavior. But yes, you have a point.

cybele said:
When speaking to your girlfriend I would be wary of the way things are worded, people are generally not receptive to criticism. Make it less of a criticism and make yourself part of the solution.
I agree. It just makes me want to pull my hair out seeing the kids act so poorly and disrespect her, and for her to so blindly work around their lack of discipline by not having her house be how she wants it. Instead of hiding things and baby-proofing the house, she needs to train Bobby to show respect and not destroy everything.

cybele said:
I understand not wanting to be shoved around by a 12yr old who is not respecting your or his mother's physical boundaries, that under no circumstances (the physically getting in between you, and the physically getting in his mother's way to prevent her from doing things you mentioned in your first post) is acceptable behaviour, however you are the adult, he is the child and shoving back doesn't work.
What would you suggest? Usually his mom just addresses him with a tired, frustrated moan and does nothing. I don't mean to say I would <I>shove</I> him, but that I would firmly grab him and move him out of the way. Sometimes physicality is the most effective discipline a child can understand, especially when they're used to being babied and expect the adult to be passive.

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
What is the age difference between you and Eric? I mean, you mention that you are 20 years younger than Natalie, and just hazarding a guess that she is no older than 40ish (most people have their children by 35), I'm thinking you're late teens or early 20s. Is it possible that Eric doesn't see you as an adult figure? I mean, if he's almost a teen and his parents are in their 40s, he might unconsciously view you more as a peer than an authority figure (especially if you have youthful features). Just your younger appearance might make him associate you with older teens and/or young adults from school or the community, with whom he has a more playful relationship. Thus the rough-housing and "disrespect" vibes you are getting. Especially if his mother has dated older men in the past, it might not really click for him what kind of relationship you two have.

Mr. Nanny

PF Regular
Mar 25, 2013
akmom said:
What is the age difference between you and Eric?
Nattie's in her mid 40s and I my mid 20s, so I would have been in high school when Eric was born. The father of Eric is about 8 years older than me, and Nattie has dated men about double my age or even older. She told me that, although Eric sees me as an adult like her and not a youth, that he may not comprehend that the attention I get from her is romantic and not mother &amp; child, which I find silly; for god's sake, he's not a kindergartener. Surely he's taking sex ed by now and has the roles figured out. On the other hand, she says he's jealous of the attention I get from her and that he probably thinks I'm in the way of her getting back with his dad. I think that's somewhat contradictory, but the second part is probably true.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
They sound like completely normal boys of six and twelve who are reacting to a complete stranger not only entering their home, but also accompanying them on holiday.

Of course the 12 year old is unable to understand your relationship, not only is he only twelve years old but his needs have clearly been completed disregarded by his mother forcing a complete stranger both in their home and even on holidays.

You accuse a child of being immature, yet when you are unable to get your own way you find it appropriate to physically prevent them being near their own mother. No adult feels the need to retaliate due to the actions of a child.

From what you write its clear that you have absolutely no idea about children, so either accept children who are acting like children, or do the decent thing and leave.

Mr. Nanny

PF Regular
Mar 25, 2013
Jeremy+3 said:
They sound like completely normal boys of six and twelve who are reacting to a complete stranger not only entering their home, but also accompanying them on holiday.
So you think refusing to buy virtually any decorations for your home because your 6 year-old will inevitably destroy them, and hiding markers for fear that the child will draw all over everything them, is completely normal? Is a hyperactive 6 year-old simulating doggy style on his resting mother while spouting "<I>Ohhh! Ohhhh</I>" completely normal? I'm curious where you draw the line between normal and problematic. Besides, Nattie said herself that she's considering some form of parenting guidance program for Bobby, so I'm far from beside myself in having these views.

Jeremy+3 said:
From what you write its clear that you have absolutely no idea about children, so either accept children who are acting like children, or do the decent thing and leave.
Well, that's your opinion, Jeremy. Cybele and I would disagree for the most part. I think you're right in that it's strange for a new man to be included into their lives and that this would require adjustment time; like I said, I didn't think it was a good idea myself. But I do know about children; I've babysat children and was raised with two brothers. We never threw filthy socks at our mother's face or deliberately passed gas loudly in front of company, shouted "MOVE!" to a guest in our way, swung from kitchen cabinets like monkeys, or destroyed furniture or expensive electronic appliances in a rage. That. Is. Not. Normal.

Jeremy+3 said:
You accuse a child of being immature, yet when you are unable to get your own way you find it appropriate to physically prevent them being near their own mother. No adult feels the need to retaliate due to the actions of a child.
Jeremy, that is just silly. It's not unreasonable or selfishly "getting my way" to ask that a woman who invites me into her home not allow her 140lb son to repeatedly slam himself into me. And I never said he couldn't hug his own mother--ever. I understand a child having resentment towards his mother's boyfriend, but I'm not being childish; I believe in manners and respect towards elders, especially ones that have done nothing but treat a child nicely. If that's wrong, lynch me.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Jeremy I respectfully disagree, I do not see how a 6yr old ripping off cupboard doors and not understanding not to draw on walls, or a 12yr old attempting to physically restrain his mother as normal age-appropriate behaviour.

I also think it's ridiculous to expect someone who has been in the equation for 6 months to immediately know how to control children with behavioural issues, and have an expectation that they either do, or leave. Should anything happen to me and my husband and we go our separate ways and I start dating again, I would hate to think that any potential partner of mine would be put under that pressure, thus jeopardising my attempt to live a normal life with someone. The mother in this situation is a person attempting to have a relationship, and the central person in the situation, not a needless pawn.

I don't see anywhere that Mr.Nanny has stated not physically allowing Eric to be near his mother, he stated that Eric physically gets in between them when he goes to hug her and feeling uncomfortable with him coming into their bed AFTER the mother has said no. How is any of that Mr.Nanny not allowing him near his mother?

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
No, I'm not suggesting that the 12-year-old thinks you're over there for a playdate with him, rather than a romantic relationship with his mom. I'm talking about a more superficial reaction to your age.

For example, I'm sure you can remember back to your own adolescence and how a classroom responded to a young substitute teacher versus an older one. With the young subs, students push their boundaries and generally take them less seriously than their regular teacher in matters of discipline. But throw an older teacher or veteran sub in there, and there is a greater presumption of consequences and therefore less experimentation with what they can get away with. The same is true of babysitters; when you're in the care of an adult, you take that adult seriously and expect boundaries, but when your parents hire a teenage neighbor, you're not worried about annoying them or getting disciplined - you expect them to prevent fires and keep you from putting your fingers in a socket, but otherwise it's pretty much a free-for-all.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Mr. Nanny said:
My girlfriend, Natalie, has two sons, one 12 and the other 6, from two fathers.
This should big your Great big Clue. The kids are going to have trust issues. There is no way around that. Time, compassion, and empathy will go along way toward helping this. If you do not have the patience And that is OK not everyone does. But if that is the case you should move on now. Rather than let them get attached to you and yank the rug out from under them again.

Mr. Nanny said:
It drives me nuts how she babies them and how they act, so
To be fair: they are her babies. Its a parent thing. You need to understand when she looks at them she is not seeing what you see. I would imagine the same is true with your parents. Not only that but I am sure she feels some guilt about the broken home's and trust. It seems to me that you are trying to make what really is a complicated situation simple. Its not going to work that way.

Mr. Nanny said:
I'm basically asking on here as to whether or not I'm being unreasonable or if the situation is as bad as I feel,
You asked. Yes you are being unreasonable. Setting goals that are both realistic and achievable would be the reasonable thing to do. It is unreasonable for someone with less than six months time to overcome what you perceive as defects without first establishing trust and respect. And this is the type of respect you have to earn. Boyfriend is not a title that demands respect. 6 mo boyfriend even less.

Mr. Nanny said:
The 6 year-old (Bobby) is incredibly energetic and friendly and expected to be diagnosed with ADHD. He climbs all over her house, jumping off tables, hanging off the cupboard handles, and eating cereal from atop the fridge. He ripped a cupboard door off and the inside has now become his cubby hole where he stashes toys and eats. She spanks Bobby on occasion because he can be incredibly defiant and disruptive. In a rage,
He may very well have ADHD. A lot of things can be done with diet and exercise. But sometimes some type of intervention is necessary. It does not sound as if you qualified to provide this. Most parents require help for this.

Mr. Nanny said:
He's afraid to be alone at night or in the bathroom with the door shut and sleeps with his mom because they still haven't made a new room for the 12 year-old.
So you're plan is to force him to confront his fears. My fear is: And your fear should be: That more issues will be caused by a improper correction than the issues itself. I would advise you to break out this specific issue here and let us suggest some potential corrections. It sounds like your parenting reference is based off your parents and your childhood. Which is not bad. But you have to understand not all kids or there issues are alike.

Mr. Nanny said:
I don't live with her, but I've encouraged her to have Bobby sleep on the "day bed" to transition into sleeping alone (I had my own bedroom by age 5).
So it would have been OK with you at age 5 to have a new man move in: Sleep with your mom: and kick you out of your room? Sometimes when he decides to sleep over?

Mr. Nanny said:
Yesterday, while Nattie was lying down, he laughed and threw both of his filthy socks at her face and she did nothing but tell him to stop.
Kids desparatly want attention. Sometimes they try to be funny in a misguided way. Its up to us to show them acceptable ways to do this. Its not really as easy as it looks. Some adults still struggle with this. Do you consider youself to have a good sense of humor. If so guide, not punish.

Mr. Nanny said:
Nattie hides Sharpie pens and won't display fragile decorations for fear that he'll destroy them or vandalize the house, essentially letting his behavior dictate their home.
The current options seem to be. Let him destroy property, damage property, Yell and scream, or restrict his access to things he can use to harm or can be harmed. Sound like Nattie has a solid plan. Then you can ease thing back into the environment without all the drama. Its not a uncommon stratagy at all. Embrace it. Work within it and make a deliberate plan to overcome this issue.

Mr. Nanny said:
The 12 year-old, Eric, is more reserved but very bratty. He's getting chubby because he overeats, but Natalie rarely puts boundaries on how much he may eat and often gives in to his requests for toys and food.
We often blame diet on the kids. What does he have access to on a daily basis. Do you cook? Does she? That is really on you both. Most adults struggle to control their eating habits. At 12 he should be able to make simple healthy things himself. If you take the time to teach and encourage.

Mr. Nanny said:
He generally dislikes me and is very childlike and rude to me.
Really? He is a child. You are (in his eyes) the competition. Its up to you to win him over. Not with stuff. But with action and trust. It is absolutely going to take time. Why do you think he should like you right now?

Mr. Nanny said:
He's an only grandchild to millionaire grandparents and nephew to a childless couple, so he's very spoiled with expensive gifts.
Gifts is something different. And with 6 mo time. I dont know how much influence you can have. I would leave it alone until you begin to support the family yourself or this discussion will blow up in you face.

Mr. Nanny said:
When speaking to Eric, Natalie often refers to herself in 3rd person as "Mommy"
I would imagine that could be said for most of us parents. Your picking pepper out of fly sht with this.

Mr. Nanny said:
He insists that she "tuck him in" every night for bed,
Who care's? Let her tuck him in. Heck the problem is you want her to tuck you in. Its a battle that is really not worth fighting at all.

Mr. Nanny said:
He sometimes asks to sleep in bed with her, which she refuses,
I would guess if brings him and her comfort. I would imagine the have done that many times in the past 12 years. In my mind its kinda a perk to have the whole family laying together. Its also one of those things to break out in another thread. Lots of advice to break the co-sleeping arrangement.

Mr. Nanny said:
I woke up to him spooning against her in the morning
That just you taking it to the dark side.

Mr. Nanny said:
I felt this was a serious violation of our space
Currently I believe your in their space. When you can comfortable be there is when you can stake out your own. IMHO

Mr. Nanny said:
Like Bobby, Eric loves his mom dearly but at the same time shows little respect or appreciation.
Common kid thing.

Mr. Nanny said:
He wants her to get back with his dad
I have plenty of fantasies myself. Quite a bit different than that. The point is there is nothing wrong with fantasies Let it be. Keep an eye on it so it does not become obsessive. But keep in mind we all remember who shatters our fantasies

Mr. Nanny said:
He's almost Nattie's size and uses this to his advantage, grabbing at her and blocking her, which again, I never would have done to my mom.
You did not grow up in the same dynamic.

Mr. Nanny said:
When I was 12, I was growing pubic hair and spending my sick days skimming through issues of Hustler that my brother hoarded.
Ok

Mr. Nanny said:
Eric is so childish that I can't imagine him even being near that stage. I also had far better manners and respect for elders.
Thats fantastic and he is at the perfect age to teach them to. Have fun with this. Its only work if you let it be.

Mr. Nanny said:
Am I crazy, or is this parenting in need of serious reform?
Neither. You just lack understanding of the parenting dynamic. Your research is limited at best. Flawed at worst. This is something you can overcome. But it requires serious commitment. Are you prepared for that? If not you should step aside or you are bound to make things worse. If you decide to stay. The first think I would recommend is Wiki "parenting" It will display several distinct styles of parenting. And go from there trying to be the best you can.

Mr. Nanny said:
I'm often embarrassed to be around them in public and I sometimes think this may cause the end of my relationship with Nattie.
You really need to get this figured out. Right now you are in a position to do more damage than good.

You know Jeremy's bedside mannor sucks. He does make some valid points.

Jeremy+3 said:
Jeremy+3 said:
Of course the 12 year old is unable to understand your relationship,
Jeremy+3 said:
You accuse a child of being immature,
Jeremy+3 said:
It may come off as we are being harsh with you. I think most of us are concerned for the children rather than you. Thats because we figure you can handle it: They cannot. If you are not prepared to make a huge commitment. You absolutely need to back off. You are not dating a woman. You are dating a family. Its is not and never will be just about your and her. A lot of this you wont understand.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Should anything happen to me and my husband and we go our separate ways and I start dating again
This is a good point. But envision that scenario. When you started dating your husband, neither of you had children (if I am correct) and you started that journey from scratch. Now that you've raised children for the past 18 years, I imagine you'd be looking for someone with similar life experiences. You'd probably want someone who had also raised children, possibly who is still raising children, and who can relate to parenthood. Someone who finds a major and non-negotiable part of your life to be overwhelming probably wouldn't be a good fit, don't you think?

It's kinda like when I have a non-parent friend who wants to go out for lunch. I know better than to do that. Instead, I'll suggest a dinner date so my husband can watch the kids. If they have kids, no problem. We'll go to McDonald's or something. But I know when someone without kids asks me out to lunch, that they probably aren't picturing an hour of entertaining toddlers, picking stuff up off the floor, and conversation only about things in plain view. It doesn't mean I can't go out for lunch; it just means I've got some restrictions at this point in my life. That is not to say that non-parents can't or don't appreciate children; it's just a "right time, right place" kind of thing. Similarly, I think the OP can interact with Natalie's children, but it would probably be less stressful to start out in another environment and a smaller time frame. (Rather than at home, all evening, supplanting their regular routine.)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Hey, if I start dating again I'd want some hunky toyboy with a great butt that I can gloat about :p

I understand the point, but no one can turn back time... yet, he's already in the house and on the holidays, have to work with what you have.

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
It seems that Nattie would not be open to suggestions since she would take them as a criticism of her parenting. I think it's the case that almost all parents are like that. But, if things go badly enough, then they typically become open for change.

Nattie seems to have reached that point since she is considering getting professional help. Perhaps you could encourage her along that path. It's a pretty good bet that such help would improve the situation.

Now let's talk about the things you can do that don't require anyone else's cooperation. You can improve your own parenting skills. You can improve your ability to influence the situation overall by learning the skill of active listening. I am sure that you can have a big impact if you do this.

So, I recommend less banging your head on the brick wall of Nattie's resistance, and more doing the stuff that you can do on your own. If you improve the skills, you will be able to have lots of influence on the situation.

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree. Start with what you do have control of. Which is you. It is such a big benefit to set an example. To demonstrate your own commitment to the family unit. It would be really big. And likely will open the doors for the other things you would like to address.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mr. Nanny said:
Is a hyperactive 6 year-old simulating doggy style on his resting mother while spouting "<I>Ohhh! Ohhhh</I>" completely normal?
WTF? How the hell does a 6 year-old know about doggy style, or even begin to comprehend his mother as a sexual being???? :eek:

THAT - is NOT normal. If a child who was any part of my life displayed such age-inappropriate sexual knowledge, it would seriously alarm me. Seriously people. Why am I the only person who picked this up????? :arghh:

Oh, and add to that inappropriate levels of anger, as well as fear of being alone at night or in the bathroom - the kind of fears that are appropriate in kids half his age. The only good thing I've read here is that his mother wants to get professional help. PLEASE encourage her to do that AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and from a real professional, not some lay councilor or someone who teaches parenting classes...

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
singledad said:
WTF? How the hell does a 6 year-old know about doggy style, or even begin to comprehend his mother as a sexual being???? :eek:

THAT - is NOT normal. If a child who was any part of my life displayed such age-inappropriate sexual knowledge, it would seriously alarm me. Seriously people. Why am I the only person who picked this up????? :arghh:
I guess I did not have to stretch to far to find innocent examples of how this came to be.

At am early age Cole would be like "OMG what is the dog doing?" Anyone who lives around or has animals probably has had this happen. People laugh at the dogs behavior. A 6yr old would only know the behavior was funny and imitates.

In the proper context you would be right SD. We just dont know. Chloe's teacher called us this year because she thought Chloe was saying "Chloe wants a tallywacker" And in the US Tallywacker is a euphemism for penis. She was actually saying Gillywacker which is a tickle game we play. My mom was the only one in the family I know of to use the word tallywacker. And she passed while Chloe was a baby.

So there are two thing's that could have the potential to innocently explain this misunderstanding. Assumptions that the 6 year old actually knows what he is doing. And Assumptions that he is not simply imitating a action that warranted attention in another environment.

We have had dogs humping just about anything at one point or another.

So I did pick up on it. But we all know kids do some creepy unexplainable things from time to time. I know I can think of several.

Last edited:

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
inappropriate sexual knowledge children can easily pick from their peers or tv, especially at pre-school. like, even most innocent films often show french kissing.
but if children's sexual behavior continues to be alarming, that's a signal that something bad could have happened.