Trusting my teen...

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Hey folks!

First post here, thought I would try to get some advice. I'm a single dad, with a 14-year old son. Technically, he's my, uh, ex-step-son - the biological son of my ex-wife. We were divorced a little over a year ago, reasonably amicably. I have been with "Bob" since he was almost 2, and his biological father is not involved. For all intents and purposes, I consider him my son, and he considers me his father. I have split custody of Bob - he is physically with me half of each week.

Some background on Bob: Bob is well into the age where he has access to alcohol, drugs, sex, and so on. He's heavily into computers, and spends a good chunk of time on Facebook, etc., and texting. In other words, he's pretty much a normal teenager. He's big into heavy metal right now, and art/music in general.

Bob has a lot of acquaintances, but no "best friend." In fact, although we moved here when he was 9, he has never really had a "best friend." I don't seem to meet his friends - he never invites them over, despite my encouragement. With nothing more than an endless string of names to go by, it's hard to keep them straight, and I certainly can't say I know any of his friends well. He has had girlfriends, too, only one of whom I've ever met. Regardless of that, at any rate, he appears to be doing fine socially.

Bob is, overall, a good kid, too. Gets all As and Bs at school (although I suspect he could get all As if he applied himself more, but I don't push him too hard on that). He doesn't get into much trouble, at home or at school. Bob and I have a good relationship. Not great, but good. He and his mother have a more contentious relationship. She is a lot stricter and more critical, and he rebels against that. I tend to be calmer and more "let's talk about it." As a result, Bob and I pretty much never fight.

I regularly make myself available to Bob, and let him know that I'm available to talk if he needs to, but he pretty much keeps his own counsel. I feel pretty disconnected from what is in his heart. He has always said the right things to me about drinking, drugs, smoking, and so on, but I know full well that even the "good kids" are capable of lying through their teeth and then going out and making poor choices.

At the end of the day, how do I know if Bob is trustworthy? His mother doesn't trust him much at all, while I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has a bit of a track record of being untrustworthy, but typically in what I perceive as "small" things, such as we will catch him on his computer or cell phone well after he's supposed to be in bed. Not a huge deal, but also evidence that he's deliberately doing things he knows he is not supposed to, and trying not to get caught.

At the same time, we have never caught him smoking, or drinking, or even in any particularly suspicious circumstances. Once he got in a huge fight with my ex- and left the house without telling anyone, but that's about it, and that was probably over a year ago now. Bob has asked to go to a big metal concert coming up (with no adult supervision, just some 17-year olds), and I find myself wondering if it's safe, or if I can trust him. When I think about the things that are out there that he could get into, and the possible peer pressure, it scares me. But, frankly, I grew up as a metalhead and didn't drink a drop until I was 21, nor have I ever smoked or done drugs.

The truth is, on a day-to-day basis, when I ask him things, I don't have a clue of whether he's telling me the truth or just layin' it on thick for his old man and then going out and behaving in a completely different manner. I really don't know, and it's very frustrating and frightening!

I keep an eye on his Facebook page, but I don't look at his computer history or anything. I don't look through his drawers, although I easily could do so since he's only at my house half the time. I'm torn about the "breach of trust" aspect of that, especially since he hasn't given me any obvious reason to truly distrust him, but I also have this huge fear that he could be getting into trouble and I just don't know it.

What thoughts do you have? How do I know if he's truly trustworthy? How can I improve our relationship to the point where I can feel more confident in that?

Thoughts appreciated!

Steve

Hartz75

PF Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Wow, this is a real hard one. Not too sure what to say. My kids are still young (7 and 3)

If I ever felt they were being sneaky or going behind my back (I guess if I had that "feeling") I have no hesitation of going through there stuff to check on the safety of my child. So I guess do you really think his safety may be at risk?

The concert, No I would not allow it. Well yes and no, different circumstances Yes, those one you have no. I was allowed to go to a concert at 14 with No parents BUT my parents said they had to know who I was going with and they dropped me off and there was a designated pick up time and place. I would not have been allowed with 17 year olds.

As for gettign him to feel more confident, I am clueless, you seem to be doing right by talking to him, not chastising him.

I wish I could be more help, but feel lost on this one.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for your thoughts! Actually, the whole conversation came up in the context of the concert, but really, the concert is secondary. It made me think more deeply about his relationship with him, and how I decide whether or not he is trustworthy.

As far as confidence goes, it's not that I want HIM to be confident. It's that *I* want to be confident that when he tells me something, it's the truth.

Or better yet, I wish I could have some confidence that I would know if he weren't telling the truth! :D

Tricky stuff!

~s

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
It is indeed tricky stuff. I read your post a little bit ago, and have been pondering it, and putting it into context of how I deal with and am going to deal with my all-to-soon-to-be-teen...

I think I'd have to say no to the concert...especially since you don't know the other kids...If I personally knew the kids and their parents, then maybe, maybe maybe, I'd allow it, but even so probably not for another couple of years...

My 8 yo is starting to show those "sneaky" adolescent signs and he's a really good kid, but then again so was I and I spread my wings more than enough in some ways, in my teens...for now, I think I wouldn't snoop, he hasn't given you reason to, I think you can be frank with him about that, about your concernns for his safety and well-being. I think you can be up-front about not letting him do everything every other kid does, and maybe it's because you care more than some other parents, keep talking, keep being sure he knows you care and demonstrate that you're dealing "straight up" with him and you expect the same from him. As he continues to demonstrate his trust-worthyiness, you can give him a little more freedom......this is all very theroetical on my part, I have a few years until I get there, but this topic is very muchh on my mind too.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
TabascoNatalie said:
as for that concert -- go with him and both of you have a good time ;)
I suspect he would rather pry his eyeballs out with his fingers than be caught with me at this concert. ;) But it has definitely crossed my mind!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I have been thinking on this one. I have 4 teens and the toughest part about watching them grow up is also learning that we have to put our trust in them. We have to believe that we have taught them right and set a moral standard for them, if they haven't learned it by know, then it may already be to late. As teens are role becomes less about "parenting" and more about guiding. When they fall we can no longer kiss the boo boo away, instead we pick them up, dust them off and help them see where the mistake was made.

First though we have to understand that they <I>will</I> disappoint us, that they <I>will</I> do things behind our backs and that these are the things they learn from.

Once we accept that it is a little easier to put some trust in them. However much we trust them we still have to be vigilant in where they are and who they are with, but at the same time not stand over their shoulders and stalk them.

What a fine line we walk when it comes to our teenagers. At 14 he would maybe be allowed to the concert if I could meet the people he is going with and I take him and pick him up. If he has a cell phone I would expect regular phone calls, these are little things that allow me to judge their "trustworthyness". If you can follow a few rules and follow them well then with each "event" I am able to give a little more leway.

My teens are far from perfect, they are overall good kids, but they are still kids and they are still learning and making mistakes and when my trust is broke they have to re-earn it, they understand this. They try to keep the trust alive cause they have learned it is a lot more fun this way.

Good Luck!

pentupentropy

Jul 2, 2010
NY
You said metal, so it kind of makes me wonder who is playing. If it were an intellectual band like Tool or someone, as opposed to say Cannibal Corpse - well then, I still wouldn't let him go either way. There's always another time. He's young, so of course he won't agree to that, but everything about it is wrong. You don't know the kids he wants to go with, it seems like no one is of legal age and the environment is bad, and I only say that because I've been to lots of those concerts and done lots of stupid things.
Is he extremely defensive or can you say "Hey, I need to know these kids you want to go with. Meeting them once the night of the show is not "knowing them" and until that time the answer has to be no, because everything is wrong about it."

Does he understand that things don't work in such a manner that he can just do without earning the trust he needs to in order to do these things? In other words, can you get him to bring these kids around and do something with them altogether (you included, obv) and then get to know them and see if you trust them? Then if you do, you and mom could spend a few bucks for a couple tickets to a show and send them all on their ways in a few months with blessings. It just can't be the other way around, where you let him know that you will reward him for getting to know these kids. I mean, you yourself said that he doesn't seem to have close relationships, if you know him and you knew them - would he even really trust them with his life? Because when you send him out with them, that's what you're doing.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
sbattisti said:
I suspect he would rather pry his eyeballs out with his fingers than be caught with me at this concert. ;) But it has definitely crossed my mind!
Good one Dad...lol

Listen, he's only 14! In my opinion he's to young to be completely responsible, or honest for that matter. He'll most likely want his friends to think he's cool than to tell his dad the truth about most things.

I think he will tell fibs and be dishonest about things he knows you won't like. He really needs you to call the shots. A lot of times they want us to do it for them, for us parents to say no so it kind of gets him off the hook of having to go somewhere or do something he really might be unsure of.

I have a bad feeling about him hanging with 17 yrs olds. This time of adolesence is so different for both these ages. 14 yr olds are just learning to accept the new changes and emotions going through their heads and bodies, I think 17 yr olds are already past that, and are looking for different excitement. I don't know, I think it's not a good idea for him to hang with them. ( and with out supervision, Danger! Danger Will Robertson)

JMO

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
This whole situation is still kinda floating out there. (A month before the concert.) So, the interesting update on this is that they apparently have one extra ticket, and they can't find anyone to go. Additionally, I was talking to him about it, and he asked if I wanted to go. (That is, he WON'T pry his eyeballs out.)

pentupentropy

Jul 2, 2010
NY
You should definitely go if he invited you and you feel like it would be a good experience for the two of you. Either that or find a friend who's into the music that you trust to go... "Hey, your Uncle Rob is into that stuff, can he go....etc etc"
Always that option. Good to know that he's thinking ahead though, and I wasn't there to hear the tone or context, but if he invited you seems like he's more understanding of life in general than a lot of 14 yr olds. Does he want you to go or does he just think it improves his chances if he invites you?

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
pentupentropy said:
Does he want you to go or does he just think it improves his chances if he invites you?
There is a spare ticket floating around, and he thinks it improves his chances. I'm 99% sure it's that, and not that he WANTS me to come.

I've been thinking more and more about this, and I just can't see any way I can let him go without parental supervision, whether it's me or another parent.

The thing is, the concert is like a noon to midnight kind of thing, and I work full-time.

At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards not letting him go, which is going to suck, because we have a pretty good relationship and I almost never have to disappoint him, so he's going to be flaming PISSED.

But, I guess that's all a part of parenting. :(

sikirulai

May 21, 2007
Well, this is usually a point of conflict between parents and their teens,so yours is not an exception at all.

However, l'll strongly advise here that your child should be given a chance.If you don't trust him,Bob will know that you really don't believe whatever he is saying at any given time and will definitely behave accordingly.

Parents must learn to give their children the benefit of the doubt most of the time even when you know within you that you're doubting the boy.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Oh, update time!

So, the concert is next Friday. I ended up telling him that I was uncomfortable with him going without any kind of adult supervision - in a "not because I don't trust you, but because I don't trust the 20,00 other people at MayhemFest" kinda way. I told him that there were basically two options:

1. I buy a ticket and go with him, which I told him I would be willing to do (which he knows is a reasonably big deal, because I'd have to take off work and everything)

2. He can't go

He handled it well, and seemed OK with me going, and even said he appreciated that I didn't just tell him flat-out "No."

Subsequently, though, I talked to the mom of the friend he was going with, and it turns out that SHE is going, along with another adult. It also turns out that she wasn't aware that Chris was so much younger. So, we've worked it out so that she is going to drive the boys, and in general be the "responsible adult." She (the mom) seemed very responsible and on the ball, which was great.

Net result, Chris gets to go to the concert, I don't have to use a vacation day getting my eardrums blasted, and there will be adult supervision. Oh, and I scored points with Chris for handling it fairly. :)

Thanks for the advice, all!

bikermomma78

Aug 21, 2010
SEMN
I think you've done a great job. Sounds like you have an open and loving relationship.

BTW, my daughter (14) was excited to go to Rob Zombie/ Alice Cooper with me.

void

Banned
Dec 2, 2010
I laughed at reading your post. Just so you know, alcohol is a type of drug.
As long as the child uses a condom then you should not be worried about sex. If you are worried you should teach him. I find that Americans seem to be scared to talk their children about sex.

Now about drugs. As long as your child knows how to moderate his drug consumption then you are fine. Again, it all has to do with how you teach him. Of course I am not talking about him doing heroine because that is completely wrong and bad for you. However he is at the age where he will be going to parties and drinking something can make it more enjoyable.