Uh Oh!...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
My Just turned 13 niece got caught skipping school and is suspended. Yikes!

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
I have never been able to understand that kind of punishment for that kind of infraction. Typically kids skip classes because they don't want to be there. So they say "our serious and extreme punishment - which we know will be devastatingly effective and we are sorry to have to do it - is to not make you be here." That was the goal in the first place.

"You missed school, so now you get to miss more." It's like saying "We caught you doing crack, so here's another vial of crack for you. I hope that teaches you a lesson!" Just doesn't make any sense to me.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
haha Zeit...I guess it depends on how the parents handle it. I was a big school skipper my first yr in high school and was suspended a few times...yeah, yeah, I was a bad kid. Anyways when I was home my parents made me to tons and tons or yard work. stacking wood and picking up dog poop and all kinds of crap. Yuck!!

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
Oh gosh, that's not good. Yeah, I totally agree with zeitgeist. I was a school skipper too for a while. Though I never was suspended I was hoping I would be so I didn't have to go.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow that stinks Aunt. :( Well, it's pretty normal at least, I don't know too many people that have never skipped a class haha. Harmless, if you ask me (but still bad lol). Yeah, the punishment doesn't make much sense to me either, I agree with Zeit, but I also agree with Fallon. I can count the amount of times I've ever skipped on one hand, and I never got caught, but I didn't skip much cause I know if I got suspended my mom would make that day hell for me somehow lol. I got caught maybe once or twice and they gave me detention at my school. Now, that makes sense to me.

esmerelda

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2009
Maryland
fallon said:
in our town suspensions are now done in school. they started that my Senior yr
Greg and I used to bring out the worst in each other. We would walk out in the middle of the day and go hang out somewhere

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
fallon said:
Yeah we had that at my school too, but they always did since I got there. We had - ISS (In School Suspension) where you stayed in the same room, the detention room technically, all day and did work the teachers sent down to you and you weren't allowed to talk and you weren't allowed to come out or see your friends and you even had to eat lunch in that room. When in there, they would take the kids out in groups to have group bathroom breaks. I forgot all about that until you said that Fallon!! I've been in ISS before too. Don't know how I forgot.

And then we had OSS (Out of School Suspension), which is obvious.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
fallon said:
Well it looks like you made them start a trend:D
I agree that a suspension is totally useless. I wish I could handle it fallons parents way but unfortunately I am at work during the day. I am making her physically check in with me at lunch time & am sending her to the library during the day. I have told her I will be checking her attendance with the librarian. I am a little concerned tho. This is normal at high school but i feel like 13 is way too young. Any suggestions for punishment?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Maybe grounded for a couple days, I guess. If it were me she'd probably be grounded for a little bit, but nothing too harsh. :)

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
At my school if you were caught skipping you had to make up the entire day on a saturday.

Gah, I did that one too many times.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
take away for iphone for a week, that'll probably make it sink in for her. I was her age when I went through all my trouble in school, I got over it that yr though and was straightened out by my sophomore year

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
hmmm...most schools in the US are out of elementary by 5th grade. I was in high school at 13, it was my freshman yr (9th grade)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, I don't know any elementary schools around here or any of the other states I've lived that go up to seventh grade. Seventh grade that I've always known it was either Middle School or Junior High, depending on how the school works. Most elementary schools I've seen or known ended at fifth grade, but I've seen a couple around here that go up to sixth.

Wow Fallon that is YOUNG. How did you do that?? When I was in 9th grade (freshman yr), I was fifteen along with the rest of my class, or sometimes they were fourteen I guess.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I was always younger than everyone, sometimes even younger than the class below me, lol. I was 17 when I graduated and when I started me first yr of college

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
NUTS!
See here, elementry schools can be from ECE-Gr.8 then highschool starts at gr.9 (usually age 14) that was the catholic system anyway. The public system also had JK-gr5, then Gr6-8, then highschool again starting at gr.9

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My GF (she was my first;) ) and I skipped a month worth of HS. We were called into the office with both our parents sitting across from us. "Did you write the note? Parent No. This note? Parent No." Ect for every day. I almost flunked out. GF had a true photographic memory and still aced the semester. We later broke up because she was insane:goofy: .

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
i used to skip in highschool too. WHen i had the car in gr.12 i would go to english and then drive to st.catharines (brock university) and spend the day with DH.

In Gr.10 i hated art, so i would go for attendance, and then ask to go to the bathroom, and then return 76 min later at the end of class.

And i NEVER once attended an assembly or school mass LOL