Underweight child...

freesia

Feb 7, 2008
I have an eight year old son who has always been on the small side, and I am really struggling to 'beef him up' a bit. He is very thin, about 4 feet tall (shorter than average), and about 47 pounds. I am waiting for an appointment with a pediatrician... it took forever to convince my family doctor to refer us, she doesn't really think there's a problem. Anyways it scares me because since he's so thin I can see quite a few of his veins and I ended up reading about Vascular type Ehlers-Danlos syndrome online and now I'm all freaked out. I mean, rationally speaking it is highly unlikely that he actually has that, but still, I'm a worrywart.

Do any of you have skinny kids with visible veins? It would be nice to know he's not the only one.

Thanks!

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
If he is eating enough and not exercising to an excessive level then I would just relax.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
*jumping and raising my hand....pick me pick me*
All of my children are skinny boogers. They eat perfectly healthy, active, drink lots of water, take vitamins. Sometimes kids are just skinny. If you saw my son you would think you could break him. I'm 5'9" and his head is up to my shoulders (he's seven) He weighs 50 pounds. Nothing wrong with him at all.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I also have a tiny child (as others here know) she is 2 years old and weighs 22 pounds. Wears 12-18 month clothes and they are too big on her. (12 months are too short but fit better around)
She is in the 3rd percentile for weight and is perfectly healthy. Some kids are just small. If there was no one in the 3rd percentil there wouldn't be one to be in.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
Oh let him be. I was skinny as a kid. My dad wanted to beef me up. I got pretty chubby lol and it was hell taking the weight off but I finally did it eventually lol.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My daughter is a peanut as well. Currently 9.5 yrs., just over 4' and about 50 lbs.. She has always been small for her age. Our ped. isn't concerned because for the most part, she has always been growing and gaining steadily.

That said, she is sensitive about her size because people comment about how small she is. Not us, but people from outside our immediate family. They are doing more harm than good. My own father said, "Next time I visit I want to see more weight on you!" :eek: Unbelievable! I can't believe he said that. I stepped in and stated, "B is fine just the way she is!"

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Forgot to mention... I can see DD's veins. I can see mine and DH's and DS's, too. Perfectly normal.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
sexybabyfondle said:
A good oil and fondle will do the trick. I loved fondling my son's friends back in the day.
What? Am I just super perverted or did that sound funny as hell! LOL