Unsure of Proper Punishment...

lbb87

PF Regular
Oct 12, 2008
I will be looking after two children next weekend. One child is 12 and the other is 7. It was suggested that I take them swimming in their pool both days so they can burn off energy. The problem I have is that I don't go swimming anymore. It was then suggested that I sit outside and read a book or something. I do not tolerate the heat very well. If it's over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, it's too hot. This brings me to a problem:

If I decide to sit outside and watch the kids, I don't want them getting me wet even "accidentally" (I know how kids are) and will tell them so. I anticipate one of them getting me wet though. What would be the most appropriate punishment if one or both of them get me wet? I think a time-out of the pool would be appropriate, but I'm not sure that I want that child going inside to play video games because they were naughty and isn't allowed to swim. So I'd like suggestions on how to handle this. I could see this punishment escalating to further punishment if I'm not careful.

I'll also point out that I don't think the 12 y/o sees me as an authority figure. He has always been a problem for me. I really need to make sure that these kids realize early on that they can't walk all over me.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
Is there no way you can just wear something you don't mind getting wet?? Honestly, kids are going to be kids, and if they're in the pool they are going to splash and think it's funny as heck. They should not be punished for that.

Just giving my honest opinion here, but if you go there and your main thought is that you want them to realize they can't walk all over you, then you might be in for a long, long weekend.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
What do mean in a punishment escalating into a further punishment?
It doesn't sound like you are ready to watch kids at all.
If you must, lay down the law before hand. If you don't want them inside and you don't want them purposely getting you wet, then sit well away enough from the pool and tell them if they spray you on purpose they have to sit with you and read or something and there is no going inside for video games.
But it shouldn't get more extreme than that. I'm not sure your relation to the kids. Is there a way you can opt out?

ChrisH2

Apr 4, 2015
The first question I have is that if "you don't go swimming any more" are you competent to supervise them at all? If one or both of them do get into trouble will you able to rescue them?
Assuming that is a yes: my next observation is that you seem to be setting the children up to fail. At ages 7yo and 12yo they are developmentally of an age when splashing is fun, and you by accident even more so. This is complicated by an inability of the 7yo to foresee consequences, and possibly the 12yo too.
Whilst I consider that it is reasonable to declare your desire to remain dry, your attire should accommodate the above, i.e. not likely to suffer from being splashed, and even able to survive emersion.
I do wonder how much of this question is predecated upon you feeling hard done too in having to care for the boys for the weekend.
I think the key here is to:
Create a relationship in which all 3 of you respect the wishes of the others,
Identify parameters of behaviour,
Identify consequences (your original question, which I shall come to) Position yourself to minimise risk of getting wet,
Do not have water sensitive items in the vicinity e.g. tablet computers.

Finally to your question. With the above points addressed there should be no need to require an escalation strategy. If essential, I would suggest identify the unacceptable behaviour early, if it starts, identify the consequences of continued unacceptable behaviour, if punishment becomes necessary I would suggest time out from the pool for a previously declared period, e. g. 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Why don't you want to get wet? Will you melt?

I think a fair punishment would be you getting to retaliate with a Super Soaker (squirt gun) of ice water. If it's so hot as to render that refreshing, make it a bucket of ice water. That is NEVER pleasant.

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
This post is a little strange but I think it would just be appropriate to give a warning first and then if it's needed you can have a more stern approach.

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
You need to relax and live a little and let the kids have fun. Getting wet is not going to hurt you. As far as swimming it sounds like you had a bad experience and are afraid to swim and if that is the case you do not need to keep children that are around any type of water for safety reasons.