Update on Ted......

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Well today we went to the phyciatrist, it didn't start well. The phyciatrist was about 35 minutes late and Ted was already very agitated, which wasn't really a bad thing cause it allowed the doc to see it for himself, especially the pacing in the parking lot.

He wasn't real coopertive with the doc, but he could see where Ted get's easily frustrated with the simplest things and how he has lost some touch with reality...not a lot but his thoughts are WAY out there, he has questioned if I am his mom, if I really know who his parents are, if I am really his brother you get the drift and then went so far as to search missing people in California (where we are originally from). And then when you try to explain to him the truth, even with his birth certificate he doesn't believe me...cause they could be fake. You see what I mean.

So after over an hour he explained that it would appear to be bi-polar, he wants to rule out a few medical problems that could show the same way, but he doesn't think it is medical. He has put him on Zyprexa 10mg, he gave me 14 days worth of free samples, plus he gave me 5 mg pills incase they are to strong or not strong enough. Now here is the problem he said he will not take them, which I was afraid would happen cause when he was sick a month ago he wouldn't take the med's cause the doc was trying to kill him....I had planned for this so for the last 2-3 weeks I have been making and plating every one of his meals. I may have to resort to sneaking it in something, the pills are cotton candy like they will disolve almost instantly so I would assume I don't have to try to hard to hide a bitter taste. I am going to try and talk him into, but if not I hope that maybe I could get a few into him by sneaking and then maybe get him to do it on his own.

I hope it works cause my nerves are on end....

I got him to take them I had to use bribery...he will get the evanessence CD he wanted if he will take them for 7 day's I will bribe for the rest of the year if I have to!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I took zyperxa at one point, it worked but i didn't like the way it made me feel. Don't be suprised if you have a try a couple different meds to get him on the right one

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
fallon said:
I took zyperxa at one point, it worked but i didn't like the way it made me feel. Don't be suprised if you have a try a couple different meds to get him on the right one

So far we are seeing some improvement, he played a video game and looked at his guitar stuff, all things he hadn't touched once this started to happen. The first 2 days he slept.......A LOT! Today he was up early, and has not paced like he used to.

It isn't a huge difference but there is some!:eek:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
that's awesome. I hope for you all that they found the right med for him on the first try ((HUGS))

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Sounds good Mom2Many!! Thanks for the update, it at least sounds like you're making a good start towards him feeling better. :)

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I hope things work out for you. It sounds like the logical well thought out approach you use when posting is serving you well dealing with this.

Giving meds to DD is a mixed bag with us. While its nice to be able to assign a cause thats treatable with meds. Its next to impossable to get her to take them. I feel your pain.

How is the rest of the family handling this?

My thought is that you are in a unique situation because of the size of your brood and how they may all deal differently with this. I would guess that something that effects one, will at least in some way effect all.

I hope thing continue to improve for you.