Update on Zander and I...

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
Just wanted to let y'all know, I had my first official full day with Zander today. I am SO tired, because I had him 12-5 and then I worked 5-a few minutes ago. He is a such a sweet kid though, we had a blast. I got him good and tired out! He threw a huge fit when his mom met me at McDonalds, but it wasnt a bratty kind, he was just really upset and distraught, he didnt want to leave me, and he was really overtired. I called a few minutes later and he was sound asleep by 5! Oh, in case anyone is wondering, he DID poop at the playland I took him too, and he did ask me to wipe him, which I did, and it was gross, and when I told his mom she said that he knows how to do it himself, and still tries to get her to do it a lot. So no more of that for me!! Ill post more on this later, but I am exhausted for now!

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
5 hours with a 4 year old is long time. I'm impressed! I also think being a Big Brother can have huge influence on a child's life.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
LMAO. Too cute. Yea I was relieved when my kids learned to wipe on their own and put their own seat belts on. Great mile stone!

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
He can put his own seat belt on, but Im a little to nervous to trust that. I actually fell asleep around midnight, and I woke up at 1030 yesterday. That might not sound impressive, but im the guy that will still be up at sunrise, that cant sleep and is watching TV and playing video games at ridiculous hours! I actually failed a college class this summer because I honestly couldnt wake up- it was a 1 PM CLASS!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sounds like the two of you had fun! Yes, that's a long time to be one-on-one with a 4 year old. LOL! You are correct to check his seat belt. From my experience, both as a mom and a CPS Tech, most kids aren't able to buckle correctly every time until they're about 7 or 8. My niece is 7 and still needs hers checked because she often twists it or doesn't have it tight enough.

When is your next get-together with Zander? How often will you be seeing him? I've heard of the Big Brother/Big Sister program, but am not aware of how it works exactly.

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
Its supposed to be once a week for a minimum of two hours, but you can spend up to the whole day. They dont encourage multiple visits a week, because it creates expectation, and if you suddenly cut back to one the child could be hurt. I am really thinking that more than once a week might actually be beneficial though, even though I am really busy. Some things are more important than work though. Right now I am working two jobs, as a pizza boy and a realtor, because I just started in real estate and it takes some time to get off the ground. I am also doing one volunteer shift a week at the hospital. I think Zander is the most important commitment out of everything though.