Vent....

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I got home from picking Bek up from kinder today to find "gay is not okay" spraypainted on my front door.

Obviously we have the police onto it, but yeah, we have a fair idea on who it is.

This little mob of pain in the backsides in our area have formed an anti-gay group and since my dads have been living with us post-bushfires theyve come out in full force. Weve gotten hate mail, bible passages in our letterbox (hillarious as my dads are both practicing Catholics) had notes pinned up on our door, had children's services turn up on our doorstep after being falsly accused of abusing our girls and our place has been egged a few times.

This really, really pisses me off. Generally I have zero tolerance for homophobics, ive put up with this shit all my life, ive had two dads since I was 6, and my dad had a boyfriend since I was 4. The things ive had thrown my way, my god, just to scratch the surface so you get an idea of where im coming from and why I get so heated about this, and believe me, this isnt something I talk about often, ever since I started school kids were told to stay away from "the fag's daughter" I had kids follow me after school, pin me down and shoot cap guns into my stomach and urinate on me, I still have slight scarring on my stomach from those cap guns, I have a scar on my thigh from when I was 14, and Tommy Johansen tied me to a tree and carved "lez" into my leg with his pocketknife, then stole my underpants and hung them from the lampost at the station. No one ever came to my birthday parties, everyone was told not to be friends with me. I was sexually assaulted for the first time at 9, by 4 boys I went to school with, who were in my class, also 9, who were trying to "un-gay" me. I'll tell you, they were not the first people to attempt this, despite the fact that I always have been and always will be interested in men.

I could go on forever with all the crap I endured by dickheads who discided to start anti-gay whatevers, and I got to the point in my life, somehwere around my 20's, when I honestly thought it was all done and dusted. Sure there was the everyday idiot spouting some bullshit, but I dont care about that, there were no more direct attacks, and hell, I never EVER want my daughters to go through that, or to feel like they should be ashamed of their grandfathers.

Now this happens. A bunch of full grown adults walking around a country town spray painting things on people's doors, like theyre marking the houses with gay people in it.

I put Bek to bed and had to explain to her, in 5yr old terms why someone would want to graffiti our front door. All I could come up with is something about ignorant people not letting others live their lives, without getting into it too much. Thank god Lily is too young for all this just yet.

DH is livid, I guess you dont vandalise a cop's house, ive never seen him this angry before, which is one good thing I can get out of this, ive always felt alone with these kind of things, but its good to know that he gets it.

Oh and my dad's are really upset, thats a given. They cant even feel safe in their daughter's house, isnt that fucking nice?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
how do ya say "here's a hug"?

i don't know what to tell ya. but i'm sorry to see ya have to go through all that.
hope ya'll stay safe and happy and healthy.
and that those creeps get caught. no matter a person's view on things, people have no right going around terrorizing others just because they believe something different.

take care, keep us up on how you're doin'.
hope this doesn't get ya down too much too.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Do you have hate crime laws in Aus to punish those more harshly for targeting a specific group?
Maybe you should make sure that you fathers aren't alone in the house for any length of time, that way if anything else happens, the more witnesses the better and it may make them feel a little more comfortable if someone else is around.
Apart from that I don't really know what advice I can give, here the attitude is a lot different to that, here it is very rare to have problems, we have billboards everywhere saying "Some people are gay, Get over it" and those who don't agree, almost all don't act out of line, instead they just keep it to themselves.

I hope the police can help you out and other people in your area.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow, Amy, I had no idea, what you've been through. Please know that you are not alone. There are plenty of people who believe such matters are personal and respect those personal choices. We're probably far too silent on our positions, letting the ignorrant have too loud of a voice..

I have never understood how anyone can use religion to breed hate. It's the most un-christian thing I know. I hate how people twist things to judge and condemn others- it's not their place. It's not their right.

I hope it means something that you have friends here who are thinking of you, and giving you our support in our thoughts and prayers.

The ability ro love is a wonderful trait we've been bestoyed with - unfortunately the ability to hate is too.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I just wanted to say that I am so sorry, but also so happy that they caught the little swear words. :( That is absolutely uncalled for.