Video Games...

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
Video games are not all bad. kids just play them for fun and to get the bad things that are happening around them out of their minds. video games may be violent but that doesn't mean the violence will make kids more violent they will just either disregard it, knowing its not real life, or see the violence and realize how bad it is and stop playing. i also think that we should let kids, when we are stopping them in the middle of a "level", to let them finish the "level" then stop it. in my experience kids are much happier with you and in general when you let them finish things. this does not only apply to video games; this concept also applies to building block like legos and playing dolls. the problem sometimes is that kids go on to a new level behind your back and say "im not done with the level" but that can be easily fixed by just watching them every so often to make sure they havent continued on a different level behind your back. video games can be kind of addicting but kids just stop playing after a while because it gets boring; you cant play the same game forever. i wouldnt pay too much attention to ratings now adays because the rating company got a lot stricter and even a person in a bikini, a bar seting or some punches in a cartoon world could be marked down as T (teen), and one more mild thing could send the rating to M (mature).

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
We allow our kids to play games and some are rated T (the oldest is 12). We ask why he wants it and have him explain why he wants it. If he can state why and isn't just a "fad" we have him work for it and then he plays it. Initially with myself with him until we make certain the game isn't that bad (nudity, drugs, etc.) He does like the shooter games and he understands that blowing up aliens is okay but people is bad. The last one we got was mature (Halo 3) and is just do to blowing up aliens, entire galaxies, etc. Overall it's a great stimulating game and we find it be a lot more positive then say them being bored and moving onto drugs, etc. Of course, that could still happen but I try to stay up with the technology enough to be knowledgeable with them and Dana knows that I wouldn't let them get something that is negative.

For our youngest she occasionally plays the teen games but typically her and I will play games rated for her age. The latest is Kameo where you turn into things like flowers and beat up ugly trolls.

When I grew up my parents thought PONG was bad. Video games are great for hand eye coordination and also stimulate the mind and get you thinking. The key is choosing the games wisely and being actively involved with them in the decision process.

As for waiting to complete a level we just have them press the "Start" button on the controller and the game goes into a paused state which allows them to come back to the same spot later. They understand that if they do loose power that it's just the way it happens and they can just start back up at the beginning of the last save and get to practice what they already did and hopefully do it much better.

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
my kids will start bawling if you pause it saying he was "in the zone" and he needs "just a sec" to reach the end of the level. i totally agree with ntbuddy and think you are awesome. if i grew up with you as a parent i would be as happy as a clam (clams do not have lips or lip muscles so i have no idea where that saying comes from). your kids must be so happy.

I am working on a guide to video games for parents with ratings individually not just a letter. i rate things like violance, sexual themes, and language separately.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
This may be a little off topic so let me just say, my kids play the video games they want provided that I am willing to buy them. My thirteen year old son felt uncomfortable about getting a T rated game so I am not worried. I am so happy there is so much positive energy! Everybody is complementing each other! Sorry for that outburst, it just makes me happy!

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
having kids buy the games themselves with their money is a very good way for kids to actually think about the games their getting and how much they want it. its very good for self discipline

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
twistertiger said:
having kids buy the games themselves with their money is a very good way for kids to actually think about the games their getting and how much they want it. its very good for self discipline
What I do with basically anything that is not a present is I always buy the product half and half with them. Sometimes I surprise them and buy it for them, the smile on their face is worth every cent. I am very happy with my 50/50 system because my children think before they buy, but are not too worried to buy, which I am glad of because they have bought things I consider very beneficial (my children buy a lot of books).

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
your 50/50 system may work but do they realize the value and need to save up money. i think having them have an allowance based on their age (my formula is age-5) and having them paying for everything thats not school related or a necessity in my eyes. my middle son has really learned the value of money and is much better than he used to be, he used to buy everything he mildly wanted now he thinks and saves every penney litirally and since he knows i hate pennies he asks me every week for all the pennies and nickel from me. he saves everything up for something or just to save up so he can buy anything in the future.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
Any video game where good is fighting evil and you play the good is aawwwight! lol

On a serious note. Games like Grand Theft Auto let you run around shooting and killing innocents. Pick up prostitutes and screw them then you can kill them. In other words it is one of the few games that really needs to be kept from kids to young. In Halo (single player) it is obvious good versus evil and your only killing aliens. So really any age can play with no problem. For games where you are good fighting evil but the bad guys are humans well you have to know your child. Make sure they know the difference between fantasy and reality and like ntbuddy said ask them why they want to play. That is a great idea.

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
ive heard many kids say that grand theft auto was a bad game but it had a great plot and thats why they plaid it. also they may be able to kill people and rape people but are they going to do that maybe even in video game they can stress good judgment.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
Well it depends on the age really. Most kids I know play it to run around killing. And yet getting that aggression out on non real people can also be good. But that mainly goes for older people. I am talking like 11 or 10 an under. And yet again my lil cousin saw freddy vs jason and saw 3 and she is perfectly fine. It all depends on how you raise your kids.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
twistertiger said:
your 50/50 system may work but do they realize the value and need to save up money. i think having them have an allowance based on their age (my formula is age-5) and having them paying for everything thats not school related or a necessity in my eyes. my middle son has really learned the value of money and is much better than he used to be, he used to buy everything he mildly wanted now he thinks and saves every penney litirally and since he knows i hate pennies he asks me every week for all the pennies and nickel from me. he saves everything up for something or just to save up so he can buy anything in the future.
My son get's five dollars a week. He does not spend a lot of money, so it is not usually a problem and he has not asked for a larger allowance, maybe when he is older (say 15) I will give him a larger allowance so he can go out and do things.

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
SuperMario said:
Well it depends on the age really. Most kids I know play it to run around killing. And yet getting that aggression out on non real people can also be good. But that mainly goes for older people. I am talking like 11 or 10 an under. And yet again my lil cousin saw freddy vs jason and saw 3 and she is perfectly fine. It all depends on how you raise your kids.
it totally does. then again every everything depends on how you raise your kids.