Visitation rights...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
So as you know Obama has changed visitation rights in American hospitals, however I have a question that I feel a large proportion of our members could answer for me. Within the new visitation regulations it has been seen that these new regulations only include hospitals that have medicare/medicaid funds.
So, my query is, how many hospitals don't have to adhere to these new regulations? I'm struggling to find the info myself.

Firefly4698

PF Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008
Jeremy, I am not familar with these new regulations. Can you shed a little light on it, for those of us who are not so in the know?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
The general rule is that people in critical care or similar restricted area's are limited to immediate family visits. It's pretty common in the hospitals I have been in. I believe the rest allows a same sex couple that (for example) lived in a state without sanctioned same sex marriage. To be able to designate their partner as a manager of a living will. Again I can see how this would be a fairly common problem. In a nutshell it think its a attempt to give same sex couples the same rights as hetro couples. Their is probably a need for this in many places. Obviously I dont know for a fact, as I am married to my wife.

To answer I would say most or many do not currently adhere to the new reg's.

Firefly4698

PF Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks for posting the info, I hadn't heard about it. That is very interesting. I would think that this law would apply to everyone and every hospital, that would make sense to me, but I am not sure. Obviously, this is just my opinion because I just learned about the situation!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
There aren't many hospitals willing to write off getting any medicare or medicaid funding (especially medicare, if they stopped acceptin mediare, they might as well stop admitting age 65+, which would be pretty much death for most hospitals) so adoption of the policy is going to be pretty much universal.

The thing I still don't understand about the order, is how the president can make an executive order that would appear to supercede state law. If a state has a law that disctates who can or can't make care decisions, then a federal executive order doesn't necessarily superced that does it? I get that he's using the money as the compliance hook, but there's going to be a fight between a gay partner and patient's reltive over a decision made on their behalf, mark my words this is setting up a fight.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Oh yeah I'm sure the cheering and booing going on right now. But I think this may level the playing field a little.