Visualize progress for young kids....

aurays

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2015
Hi everyone!

I'm creating a poster to show some kids which progress we made in the last months. Since there are kids from 6-11 years old I would like them all to understand it, but I don't know how to make my progress bars visual.

I know that it's only when they reach 11 years that they learn ratios and proportional relationships (like 20% or 20/100).

What other ways are there for visualizing quantities for the young ones?

Thanks in advance! ;)

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Pie graphs are good, too. Or bake a real pie and have them slice the equation in real life. I always crave pie when people talk about pie graphs and portions in slices.

I think bar graphs are good.
I remember in grade 3 we were being taught about the 5's, 10th's to 100th's percentiles and we had coins or chips that were placed in the columns. When we were given the formulas we had to manually move the correct number of chips to the right percentile. I was in grade 3 and that's the best I can describe it.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Pie charts and bar graphs are both very visual. My third grader is doing ratios and proportions, and they were coloring very basic bar graphs as early as kindergarten to represent numbers of green apples versus red ones. I think they will all understand it if it's simple.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm pretty sure Sasha is doing basic bar graphs at the moment too, or at least recently, he's in grade 2.

So I'd go with akmom and bar graphs.

aurays

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2015
Thank you all!

I will probably make bar graphs then. Keep them simple so they are easy to understand.