Watching them play with the cardboard box instead......

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
ok. I've been meaning to post this here for a while now.

what's your kid's favorite _free_ toy?

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • My son has a pair of cereal boxes cut in half and sticky taped to make a pair of square tubes. He puts these on his arms and he's an instant robot. Then, when he puts his $2 Optimus Prime mask on (admittedly not free) he's an Autobot!! and he walks around singing "Autobots fight their battle to destroy the evil forces of the Deceptokons." These robot arms are almost worn out - we're going to have to eat more cereal....</LI>
    <LI>
  • I punched holes in the top of a pair of empty formula cans. I then cut a couple of short lengths of rope and poked them through the holes and made some cool stilts. They're just tall enough for little kids to feel really high, but really stable so they don't fall down and break their neck.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Actually - one time I got two short lengths of wood and banged them in a cross on top of a big piece of wood. I got a marker and drew a pilot on the side: he played with that helicopter for ages, and it cost me not a penny. The other night he fell asleep playing with that helicopter.</LI>
    <LI>
  • We've done this one twice: old cardboard box, poke the bottom out and fold down the sides. Then get the strap from an old sports bag and attach it to the box. Instant car. Works even better with a paper plate for a steering wheel. We keep these behind an armchair in the family room, and the kids run laps around the kitchen yelling out car noises.</LI>
    <LI>
  • My wife put some glitter in a water bottle and put the lid on really tight. She did this when our oldest was about 1, and 3 years later they're still fascinated by it.</LI>
    <LI>
  • We've got a nappy box that got turned into a plane that buzz light year fits into.</LI>
    <LI>
  • I'm not counting the push-bike that we found by the side of the road during hard rubbish collection: all I did was replace the inner tubes and oil the chain... or the battery operated boom-gate thing that makes noises like a train crossing (again, from hard rubbish) that the kids use in the back yard when they're riding the free bike and the scooter (present).</LI>
    <LI>
  • All the scrap paper they use for drawing and gluing and craft stuff is obviously office leftovers. In fact, the paper is 80's printer paper with the perforations.</LI>
</LIST>Kids really aren't interested in how much something costs. They want a toy to be useful more than they want it to be Perfect. It almost seems that the more expensive a toy is the less popular it is.

What's your kid's favorite _free_ toy?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Enjoy it while you can, Brent! You'll find as they get older they're not so easily amused.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Trina said:
Enjoy it while you can, Brent! You'll find as they get older they're not so easily amused.
LOL That's the scary part. Mine are 7,6,6 and so far they still love big boxes.
We go to parks alot (huge ones)
The beach
Outside events
Church functions
There's always something to do at home. We have every arts and crafts thing known to man.
They love the things that stamp out objects like butterflys. It's like they make confetti.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I guess I missed the whole rock thing. Is that a northern thing? I swear I do not remember my children ever handing me rocks.
They pick flowers all the time. We don't really have rocks. Shells maybe.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Trina said:
Then they'll have to try harder! :)

My point wasn't so much that they're easily amused - but that things that ARE amusing (who doesn't love stilts??) are quite often completely free.

All it takes is a bit of imagination...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Why? Why would we want to risk breaking a bone for something as goofy as that. I have legs ya know.
Stilts though? That's just a bit off for me.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Why? Why would we want to risk breaking a bone for something as goofy as that. I have legs ya know.
Stilts though? That's just a bit off for me.
risk? what's the risk?

no more than the risks kids take 100 times a day. they have to get competent some time. the more you trust their skills the safer they'll be.

it's only 9 inches off the ground, and the can is 7 inches wide. Heck, you could do it with a 3" piece of wood and they'd still love clomping around.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Naaa, we're all set. Thanks. We have a trampolin if they want to go high up in the air. My kids would think I was nuts if I even offered them something like that. Please take no offense.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Naaa, we're all set. Thanks. We have a trampolin if they want to go high up in the air. My kids would think I was nuts if I even offered them something like that. Please take no offense.

?????

you have a trampoLINE and you're worried about the safety risk from a stupid little pair of stilts??

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol I think thats kinda funny as well Brent. Trampolines are very dangerous so dangerous that they are listed by hospitals as one of the most seen reasons to go to the ER. Not sure I have seen stilts on those lists before. But each is own.

Nichole also loves shoes, I htink its just a kid thing!

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
Gavin's favorite new obsession is paper. He'll tear through a pad of legal paper like it's Christmas Day...oh and water bottles.

All the fancy toys he has, and he just wants paper :laugh:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Our tampolin is completley netted in. There is no way they can fall off. It's like one big bounce house.